Best Piece of Advice?

[quote]bdocksaints75 wrote:
Seek and destroy[/quote]

Could you elaborate?

Just fig out what your goals are and find the best way to get there

Fair enough

Lots of Goal-Setting ideas on here, how do you remind yourself of your goals? Mental? Some visualization (physical or otherwise)?

[quote]bigmetalguy wrote:
Some would argue, hastalles, that mixing things up once in a while is a good thing…what do you think of that assertion?[/quote]

That approach hasn’t worked for me, at least past the earliest beginner stages :slight_smile:

If something’s working well for you, why change it? And give it time to work before you start deciding that it’s useless for you and you should switch.

(I should point out I’m coming from a strength perspective here. I don’t know enough about bodybuilding to know if this applies to that too. Nor am I an advanced powerlifter. This may not hold up there either.)

Advice in a sentence: don’t assume someone’s an expert just because he has muscles.

Sometimes a big, strong guy knows what’s going on and can help . . . sometimes he doesn’t really know anything . . . sometimes he knows but can’t explain it . . . and on occasion, he’s just an asshole.

Beware if he steers you to something other than good, solid training, lots of protein, and plenty of recovery.

My advice: Train with focus.

Some would argue, hastalles, that mixing things up once in a while is a good thing…what do you think of that assertion?[/quote]

For a beginner, never.

Stick to tried and proven, be consistent, eat lots and get plenty of sleep.

Should their be a difference in dieting if you are concerned with conditioning rather than strength?

its been said before but worth repeating: Pick a proven program, push yourself hard in the gym, eat a lot of mostly clean foods, sleep/rest a lot - repeat & make small adjustments based on progress

If you had one piece of advice to give in one sentence for someone just starting out, what would it be?

You all should view my ebook on my site, see if I left anything out in my advice for beginners.[/quote]
I did read your ebook and I read around your blog. My one sentence of advice, harsh as it’s going to sound, would be: Practice what you preach and don’t be a hypocrite.

Dude, you’ve lost a ton of weight so far (congrats on that) and I can kinda understand what you’re trying to do and where you’re coming from, but…

• You rant about not “drinking the kool-aid”, while you’re getting kettlebell-certified and seem to only talk about training with kettlebells.

• You wrote, “You will still be an amorphous slobbin fat turd-sucking redneck should you not kick your addiction to the KFC Double-Down and Deep Fried Oreos - You fat nasty pig, you!”, but you just last year you seemed to have quit lifting for a while and blogged,“My training recently has been non-existant and my diet has consisted of much carbo-loading and deep fat fried porkerlisciousness … Like an addict relapsing after a long rehab, I found myself choking down Poptarts and Corndogs by the dozen not caring about the result.”

• You wrote, “The truth is that Crossfit seems to promote nothing but sacrificing form and technique for the sake of getting a workout done in the least amount of time possible. Sounds like a hell of a redneck activity to me - but I do real fucking sports.” While you’ve recently been training for the RKC snatch test (snatch for max reps in five minutes) and the Tactical Strength Challenge (deadlift 1RM, max reps pull-ups, max reps five-minute KB snatch).

• You bust on Crossfit’s kipping pull-ups and their claims about being functional, and then you talk about how functional training is important and how it’s best to work out “as if your body is an interconnected machine.”

Lastly, remember that the Internet is a pretty small place and things stay online for a while. Best of luck becoming a police officer after having written and distributed an ebook absolutely riddled with barely-borderline-homophobic comments. Every other paragraph (and in the freaking title), you’re talking about “removing cock from ass”, “training in a gay gym”, or “looking like such a homo in the gym.”

It might be the voice you’re trying to write in or figures of speech you’re using to get some kind of point across, but to me at least, it comes across as hyper-macho chest-thumping and kinda ignorant. “Hrmm, lift like queer, bad. Lift like real man, good.” Sorry to say.

Not to mention it’s simply unprofessional. If your goal down the road, after you’re RKC certified, is to be a trainer, this is not the kind of info you want out there. “… You’ll also most likely never rid yourself of the hard red cock that seems to continuously lodge itself deeper and deeper into your asshole.” Maybe I’m a prude, or just old, or I don’t know what I’m talking about, but a line like this simply has no place in a fitness information product.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

If you had one piece of advice to give in one sentence for someone just starting out, what would it be?

You all should view my ebook on my site, see if I left anything out in my advice for beginners.[/quote]
I did read your ebook and I read around your blog. My one sentence of advice, harsh as it’s going to sound, would be: Practice what you preach and don’t be a hypocrite.

Dude, you’ve lost a ton of weight so far (congrats on that) and I can kinda understand what you’re trying to do and where you’re coming from, but…

• You rant about not “drinking the kool-aid”, while you’re getting kettlebell-certified and seem to only talk about training with kettlebells.

• You wrote, “You will still be an amorphous slobbin fat turd-sucking redneck should you not kick your addiction to the KFC Double-Down and Deep Fried Oreos - You fat nasty pig, you!”, but you just last year you seemed to have quit lifting for a while and blogged,“My training recently has been non-existant and my diet has consisted of much carbo-loading and deep fat fried porkerlisciousness … Like an addict relapsing after a long rehab, I found myself choking down Poptarts and Corndogs by the dozen not caring about the result.”

• You wrote, “The truth is that Crossfit seems to promote nothing but sacrificing form and technique for the sake of getting a workout done in the least amount of time possible. Sounds like a hell of a redneck activity to me - but I do real fucking sports.” While you’ve recently been training for the RKC snatch test (snatch for max reps in five minutes) and the Tactical Strength Challenge (deadlift 1RM, max reps pull-ups, max reps five-minute KB snatch).

• You bust on Crossfit’s kipping pull-ups and their claims about being functional, and then you talk about how functional training is important and how it’s best to work out “as if your body is an interconnected machine.”

Lastly, remember that the Internet is a pretty small place and things stay online for a while. Best of luck becoming a police officer after having written and distributed an ebook absolutely riddled with barely-borderline-homophobic comments. Every other paragraph (and in the freaking title), you’re talking about “removing cock from ass”, “training in a gay gym”, or “looking like such a homo in the gym.”

It might be the voice you’re trying to write in or figures of speech you’re using to get some kind of point across, but to me at least, it comes across as hyper-macho chest-thumping and kinda ignorant. “Hrmm, lift like queer, bad. Lift like real man, good.” Sorry to say.

Not to mention it’s simply unprofessional. If your goal down the road, after you’re RKC certified, is to be a trainer, this is not the kind of info you want out there. “… You’ll also most likely never rid yourself of the hard red cock that seems to continuously lodge itself deeper and deeper into your asshole.” Maybe I’m a prude, or just old, or I don’t know what I’m talking about, but a line like this simply has no place in a fitness information product.[/quote]

Although some of your points are valid, allow me to retort on a few, if I may. To your first point about not sipping the kool-aid, what I mean is there are a lot of fitness modalities out there that are built around principles that either don’t work and/or could possibly get you hurt. It is obvious that we want to stay away from training modalities like that and, while my favorite modality is kettlebells, I do dabble in some barbell work and other means of conditioning so I am by no means myopic.

To your second point about amorphous fatasses, everyone has things that occur in their life that drive them towards comfort and at that time I was probably stressed with school, homelife, something to that effect, and fell off the wagon. What human being on a fitness program can say they have never fallen off the bandwagon once or twice? I would argue few and far between.

To your Crossfit comments, the functionality of exercise does not mean go out and bust your ass for time or how much weight you can snatch over your head. Functionality is about working your body the way it was meant to work. No human being was ever meant to pull their bodyweight up with a kip (especially those butterfly kips that can do serious shoulder damage). When I say functionality, what I am referring to is somewhat like the primal movement patterns. The squat, the deadlift, the press…these are all primal movement patterns. See some of the stuff Dr. Charlie Weingroff promotes and you will see more of what I mean.

As for the snatch test and Tactical Strength Challenge being hypocritical as “working out for sport,” I highly disagree. I mean yes, you are competing with others in TSC for the biggest numbers, but for me it was something of a set goal date to get my pullups down for HKC testing. I was proud I hit personal bests on the pullups and deadlifts, but the TSC at my gym is far from a serious competition among the people that attend.

The snatch test is simply a benchmark on which cardio as well as muscular endurance can be measured. I actually see it as more of a heinous form of punishment to myself rather than a way to show off that I am the best. Sometimes, a little pride in yourself is good as well a meritous. People see that you can smash the snatch test and at least throw a little bit of respect your ways.

To your final points, I will say this, my marketing ploys are both unconventional and my own, and I shall deal with the consequences in due time probably.

stick to the main barbell compound lifts

[quote]xfactor3236 wrote:
stick to the main barbell compound lifts[/quote]

What do you mean by that?

dont neglect squat bench and deadlift, useful for almost any type of athlete

[quote]xfactor3236 wrote:
dont neglect squat bench and deadlift, useful for almost any type of athlete [/quote]

Oh, I definitely agree. Although kettlebells are my primary training preference, I certainly recognize the benefits of the deadlift and the bench press. These two things don’t have many substitutes.