Best Pec Hypertrophy?

[quote]skiracer wrote:
My pecs are my worst area. Can someone recommend specific exercises, including number of sets and reps with which they’ve had real success getting their pecs to grow? I can get a good pump with guillotine incline bench, dumbell bench etc, but just can’t seem to get any long-term growth proportional to the rest of my body. Chest has been a problem since I was in high school (34 now). To be clear, I’m talking hypertropy, aesthetic size-growth only - my chest is strong in proportion to the rest of my body, just small. And yes I’ve read the articles on this issue but was looking for some real-world advice based on actual success.

Thanks. [/quote]

Lift as heavy as possible, buy some test and take it, and eat a ton of protein, complex carbs and healthy fats. You will grow guaranteed.

[quote]skiracer wrote:
I’m talking proprotion, not just pure size. There is a difference.[/quote]

Usually our size is based on work…proportions are based on genetics.

[quote]skiracer wrote:
I don’t know many bodybuilders on or off this forum though that focus much on bb bench. They seem more generally into dumbell work or in general doing chest moves that are more about isolatoin than about pushing big weights. [/quote]

Compound or Isolation; the objective is to be STRONGER tomorrow than you are today. STRONGER can be defined as more reps, more weight, less rest, greater command over the same weight, etc., but somehow you MUST become stronger!!
I am a fan of pre-fatigue techniques for people that are delt/tricep pressers. I also think that flexing your pecs first thing upon waking and several times throughout the day help to develop the MMC. Because you like specifics…bi-lateral flex for 10, right pec for 10, left pec for 10, bi-lateral for 10, alternate left and right pec for 20 total, bi-lateral for 10.

[quote]skiracer wrote:
I can get a good pump with guillotine incline bench…[/quote]

I suspect if you polled BB/Gym Rats over 40 and asked them what they would change in thier past if they could…most would grab their shoulders and say “I wouldn’t have done all that guillotine pressing”.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]skiracer wrote:

I suspect if you polled BB/Gym Rats over 40 and asked them what they would change in thier past if they could…most would grab their shoulders and say “I wouldn’t have done all that guillotine pressing”. [/quote]

It took me several circuits of bencing-inflaming-recovering to realize its not good for me (stupid+stubborn?). Sure, if you can take it, and your other bodyparts don’t take over, and you don’t have long arms, and and and. Sure, bench is good.
For me, flies get better results. I’m trying to bench again (sigh+sigh), only because I want to try CT style (shoulders shrugged), and so far it feels OK. But I leave that to the 2nd or 3rd chest exercise, and almost always after pressing, again a CT idea.

[quote]skiracer wrote:

I suspect if you polled BB/Gym Rats over 40 and asked them what they would change in thier past if they could…most would grab their shoulders and say “I wouldn’t have done all that guillotine pressing”. [/quote]

I would actually say “I’m glad I never did those”.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]skiracer wrote:

I would actually say “I’m glad I never did those”.[/quote]

I never did either…I suspect that is why at 48 I can stll press heavy without pain.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]skiracer wrote:

I never did either…I suspect that is why at 48 I can stll press heavy without pain. [/quote]

OK. I’m sold. Done with the guillotine. Desperation does breed foolishness - thx for the bitchslap.

[quote]skiracer wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]skiracer wrote:

I never did either…I suspect that is why at 48 I can stll press heavy without pain. [/quote]

OK. I’m sold. Done with the guillotine. Desperation does breed foolishness - thx for the bitchslap. [/quote]
Try the DB Squeeze Press if you havent already.

[quote]skiracer wrote:
My pecs are my worst area. Can someone recommend specific exercises, including number of sets and reps with which they’ve had real success getting their pecs to grow? I can get a good pump with guillotine incline bench, dumbell bench etc, but just can’t seem to get any long-term growth proportional to the rest of my body. Chest has been a problem since I was in high school (34 now). To be clear, I’m talking hypertropy, aesthetic size-growth only - my chest is strong in proportion to the rest of my body, just small. And yes I’ve read the articles on this issue but was looking for some real-world advice based on actual success.

Thanks. [/quote]

I would definately reccomend trying Charles Poliquin’s advanced GVT. it’s excellent at bringing up thickness in all bodyparts. my chest was falte(as you can see in my OLD avatar but it has grown significantly over the past year just due to this (i will repost new avatar soon so you will be able to see). Have a read through the article he wrote on it.I think the main thing is that i got a lot stronger on my pressing movements and thats what made the biggest difference.

Highly reccomend it

-jehuty

[quote]jehuty wrote:
I would definately reccomend trying Charles Poliquin’s advanced GVT. it’s excellent at bringing up thickness in all bodyparts. my chest was falte(as you can see in my OLD avatar but it has grown significantly over the past year just due to this (i will repost new avatar soon so you will be able to see). Have a read through the article he wrote on it.I think the main thing is that i got a lot stronger on my pressing movements and thats what made the biggest difference.

Highly reccomend it

-jehuty[/quote]

^^^
Just like to say, very impressive physique, well done!

NO MATTER WHAT ANYWONE TOLD YOU.
The most important exercise for the pecs is INTENSITY.
THAT AND TE BENCH PRESS
Yeah, I know some people dismiss the most POPULAR and amazing test pf strenght. But nah, nothing to be afraid. DO IT.
Bench, Squat and Deadlift.
thats where it’s at.
The powerlifters know well, so does the best bodybuilders.
Ronnie Colema, Dorian Yates, Arnold, they were the best. THEY KNEW KNEW THE BEST.
Internet people don’t know the best, the best know the best, and the best, is the best press. The bench press.

Part animal, part machine.

-Michael

Warrior, the gods of barbel can do many feats that do not, exactly, match the build of us mortals. No need to be fanatical in your worship, usage of given brain is encouraged, else why did they give us one?

Lol can you please change your avi pic. It still creeps me out.

Most everyone feels their chest is a lagging body part. But chances are your entire body needs to grow. Unless you have like a 40 inch chest and 19 inch arms. Ha but anyways I’ve never needed anything more than flat bench, incline bench, incline db bench weighted dips and decline usually with about 12-15 sets a week. And every now and again ill do machine flys. But usually not.

… the objective is to be STRONGER tomorrow than you are today. STRONGER can be defined as more reps, more weight, less rest, greater command over the same weight, etc… [/quote]

This is so well said, BCT!

Therein lies progress.
It can’t be emphasized enough.

GVT 2 weeks at one angle (ex. incline)
2 more weeks different angle (ex. flat)
Finish with 1 week girondas 8x8 on third angle ( wouldn’t do the density portion tho. Suggest 1 minute between sets, ofcourse bump the weight from previous weeks because your doing less reps and sets.

So after 5 weeks of that you should see an improvement. I would then suggest lowering your reps and increasing strength. for the next 5 weeks with a higher frequency and less daily sets for chest.

10 weeks later i would do strength work first when training then go on to a more bodybuilding oriented style for however long you see fit. IF you are on a BB split by this time.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
Lol can you please change your avi pic. It still creeps me out.

.[/quote]

I second this motion