Best Pec Exercise?

Zeb, are you and Mr Pushups the same person? Are you pulling the same bullshit here that you did at Crossfit?

Something just doesn’t smell right.

[quote]Big Willie Style wrote:
First of all, any chest exercise, if you’re doing it correctly, will build strength and mass in the pecs, given you’re working in the proper range of reps/sets/load. Not hitting the pecs enough? Change up the angles a little: bench angle, bar/d-bell angle during both the conc. and ecc. motions, etc.
I already mentioned all that. And said you could build a chest by doing deadlifts. And explained proper form & execution od some exercises
Push-ups are a great exercise but it’s pretty hard to do push-ups with enough weight to get into the 5rm range.
Actually its very easy, and i can get into the 1 rep range. I find a single individual to sit across my back for my 1-5 reps. Lots of mention of Dave Tate, Arnold, etc. as proponents of the push-up.Wrong again, Dave was mentioned as a reference to his triceps being worked in a bench press. Also lots of mention of Tate and his 600+ lb. BENCH, not 600+ push-ups. Once again using his triceps mostly to push that. Standard benching no way. LEVERGE. Changing the angle and arc.

I’ve seen lots of pics of Arnold benching huge weight, not one of him doing pushups. Wrong reference again. I mentioned him doing dips and flyes to stress his outter lower chest, which is what made it so unique from everyone elses. In this sport/lifestyle, 90% is what works for YOU, and that will vary from person to person. Mentioned that too. To each his own. Just be careful to do your homework, before saying your way is the be all, end all. [/quote]
Maybe you should take your own advice before giveing it.

[quote]horny yoda wrote:

jehovasfitness wrote:

Please explain to me then the biomechanical difference between a pushup and a bench press? It’s the same movement just flipped from prone to supine, and the pushup involves stabilizing the body.

I’m not saying the bench doesn’t work the triceps and shoulders as well, but to say the chest isn’t involved is suspect.Who said that? find a quote.

Mr. Push Ups wrote:
no problem…#1 push up has a greater range of motion and a more natural movement plus its not a fixed position movement, so its easier for me to target the pectorals by manipulating the angle also there is no gripping of a barbell in this movement and the bodyweight movement incorporates more motor neurons in the pectoral area for there is a body thru space movement

both use the chest, both use plenty of other muscles as well

Mr Pushups,
you need to quit giving people advice.

i know this may be insulting, but: you haven’t a fucking clue what you are talking about.

and you like to talk a lot.

which is a dangerous, dangerous combination.

In fact, it may be the most dangerous thing in our world today: people who don’t know much but like to talk a lot.

Sorry.[/quote]

Your the only loser that uses insults and has no facts, information, routines advice …nothing

ok tool…keep trolling
we will listen to your loser ass

I’ve given example upon example, used many references, explained how to perform the exercises, and told exactly the the truth about them, and only the smart posters are backing me and listing facts and explantions on these points of view

All of the opposition has given nuthing to back up a statement but insults.

Ive used these examples and references.

Dave Tate- Bench Press is a Tricep workout
Arnold Schwarzenegger- Outter Lower chest built by dips & flyes
Navy Seals- chest built by push ups
Gymnist- practicly the whole body built by bodyweight exercises(push ups, pull ups, dips…etc…etc)
Serge nubret- built chest with 3 basic exercises, no inclines, & used a scapular retracted bench press, fly & pullover
And Myself- Used Bench press for strength, uses dips and push ups for bulk due to my longer arms

I believe one person who will shut all of you up permanantly is the T-Nation author “Chad Waterbury”, ask him about what he thinks someone building a muscle by using thier bodyweight all the time.

Go ask someone with 100 times the knowledge of yourself and will completely agree with my push up point of view. (wonder how chad feels about army recruits in boot camp and gymnist shoulder and chest development)
huh?

I wish chad was in here.

Would shut these no-nothings up.

He’s only considered one of the best trainers in the world.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Zeb, are you and Mr Pushups the same person? Are you pulling the same bullshit here that you did at Crossfit?

Something just doesn’t smell right.[/quote]

5’9" is the height of Harris. Huh?

5’7" & 5’6" were the heights of 2 other posters who like to add to the opposition here.

I think we have a pattern here fellas. Short guys with stubby arms like the bench press & like to troll in and leave a “toll” comment without anything to back up thier opinion.

Push Ups, you are the biggest troll here.

Read the whole thread with an open mind. And you’ll be amazed at the ego of this Mr Push Ups character. You’re dissing people who are giving good info only because it’s not what you are saying.

If you were that good, YOU would be one of the best trainers in the world, instead of some guy with a big mouth on the internet.

And I’m 6’3".

[quote]Sxio wrote:

Read the whole thread with an open mind. And you’ll be amazed at the ego of this Mr Push Ups character. You’re dissing people who are giving good info only because it’s not what you are saying.

If you were that good, YOU would be one of the best trainers in the world, instead of some guy with a big mouth on the internet.

And I’m 6’3".[/quote]

Bull shit!
your the troll.
you have given zero info.

please read back thru the posts and you will discover 2 things

1- I have not dismissed anything, only have defended exercises and stated the advantages and disadvantages.

2- I will be arrogant anytime i feel like it to defend my position, especially when someone only uses an insult for the oppostion and states no point of view with a fact/reference/experience to back it up

i’ve used everything from, Professional bodybuilders, trainers, athletes and the average lifter who recieved benefits using certain exercises.

For the last time.
I built my chest by doing 2 things.
(Remember that i have fairly long arms for my height)
1 Bench Presses for 5 years to build the strength.
2-Push Ups and Dips for 15 years to build the size.

End of File.

Experts please feel free to chime in.
The amatures love to toot thier own horn being an opposition without any real purpose. Mine was the benefits of a bodyweight exercise are greater than are realized.

1 Like

[quote]harris447 wrote:

Something just doesn’t smell right.[/quote]

Look harris, I usually don’t get too mad over Internet bull crap. But I’m not that fond of you and your viscious demeanor to begin with.

I pulled NOTHING at crossfit! And if you want to believe that I did, that’s fine. But don’t sully this thread or any other on T-Nation with your insulting crap.

[quote]Sxio wrote:

And I’m 6’3".[/quote]

If i had a degree in that area and the science behind it, you’re right. All i have is the experience from 20 years of lifting and the observations and viewpoints of the professionals as frames of reference. I only know enough of the science and experience to comment on bodyweight exercises. If this was a diet thread i would have never even looked at it. When it comes to a long armed guy who struggleing to build his pecs, i have the tolls to help him out. Otherwise he would be sending you messages to help him out not me.

Now bug off. Who has that can of bug spary?

harris is an idiot

Zeb has done nothing but state intelligent information and opinions, at not all his and mine collide

if you wanna attack anyone, attack me…i live for this kind of stuff

i’ll defend a weighted push-up and dip for chest size over the bench press til i die

and i used the bench press religiously and it was my favorite exercise

if your gonna bring heat, nring ot to me, i’m the ass with the experience…i’ll go head up with anyone in a chest building competition

you use any routine you want for 3 weeks
and then you use the 1 i give you, just give me your stats…& i’m gonna produce more chest growth for you in 3 weeks then your own program

note…i only say chest, i wouldn’t call out with any other muscle, i have never had a problem building them so i never researched them and experimented with the best possible exercises.

Chest is what i do…hence the name “Mr. Push Ups”

[quote]Sxio wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t know why this took you guys so long to figure this out! Let the fucking thread die, and ignore “Mr. Push Ups”

I think it was already said best by Big Willie. Whatever works for you is the best for you (in so many words). If you respond better to dips than bench, by all means, do them instead. Mess around and see which exercises give you the best feeling.

I’d also like to make a point or two.

Dave Tate says the bench press is a triceps exercise probably because he is a powerlifter. Powerlifters keep their elbows in tight, which means more stress is placed on the triceps and probably front delts. By that same point, flaring the elbows out doesn’t necessarily optimize stress on the pecs (and for me it screws up my shoulders). I think more of an inbetween (not quite in, but not flaring at all, so in, but not glued to the body) works pretty well for placing stress on pecs and triceps somewhat evenly (for me at least, and I have a 6 foot 2 inch arm span at 5’8" or something like that).

Secondly, a gymnast’s chest is developed probably more so because of iron crosses, planches, and malteses, which put biceps, chest, and lats (amongst probably other muscles) in a disadvantaged leverage position. Pushups aren’t all that disadvantaged leverage wise. A planche pushup is.

Thirdly, I suppose there is a point to be made that bodyweight exercises activate more muscle fibers probably for just stabilization, because like said before, the body is being moved through space as opposed to just the weight. Perhaps that’s why the squat can add so much mass to a person, even if all they do is squat.

I could be wrong on some points, but my opinion still remains that in order to find the best pec exercise, a person has to experiment and find it for themself.

[quote]Mr. Push Ups wrote:
harris is an idiot

Zeb has done nothing but state intelligent information and opinions, at not all his and mine collide

[/quote]

You need to get out more.

The sad part is that I agree about weighted pushups and dips and their value. Unfortunately, the way you present it screams very loudly that you are blatantly trolling, trying to pick a fight over the computer…with people that like bench pressing. Come on. Get a fuckin life.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

I agree with the idea that how effective certain exercises are can depend on the type of body you have.(CT has talked about this a couple times with regards to him being built to squat and no to deadlift)

I have very short arms and all I really need to do to build my chest is bench.

[/quote]

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Mr. Push Ups wrote:
harris is an idiot

You need to get out more.

i’ll defend a weighted push-up and dip for chest size over the bench press til i die

and i used the bench press religiously and it was my favorite exercise

if your gonna bring heat, nring ot to me, i’m the ass with the experience…i’ll go head up with anyone in a chest building competition

you use any routine you want for 3 weeks
and then you use the 1 i give you, just give me your stats…& i’m gonna produce more chest growth for you in 3 weeks then your own program

note…i only say chest, i wouldn’t call out with any other muscle, i have never had a problem building them so i never researched them and experimented with the best possible exercises.

Chest is what i do…hence the name “Mr. Push Ups”

The sad part is that I agree about weighted pushups and dips and their value. Unfortunately, the way you present it screams very loudly that you are blatantly trolling, trying to pick a fight over the computer…with people that like bench pressing. Come on. Get a fuckin life.[/quote]

Your Dead Wrong!

I have done nothing but defend my position and respond to persoanl attacks on me. I have never taken an offensive postion to any poster, only to my point of view.

If you can’t stand the heat…well next time maybe you’ll think twice before trolling. your the troll and the other 3 or 4 guys that posted insults to my points of view.

i have been on defense all day.
everyday.

My purpose: state point of view & help the threader
My objective: defend point of view with refrences and experience, also use arrogance to the opposition who are trolling, oppostion who don’t troll get respect

Purpose & Objective Achieved. Yes.

Defended my position rather easily and the trolls run away one after the other, and the threader sent for my advice to help build up his chest. so i gave him some tips on some exercises to do and how to do them.

Another happy customer, come again please.

1 Like

When the trolling oppostion agrees with you, well that pretty much sums up why they ruin these good threads.

Sorry if this thread got hi-jacked, but the threader got plenty of good advice from alot of posters on it. There will always be jealousy and hatred in the world. Just stand your ground and knock em down when they come your way.

Mr. Push Ups,

I’ll try one of your 3 week chest programs (although I have nothing to “pit” it against, as I just want to try it for the sake of trying it). I’m actually curious to see what it is, and have nothing better to do (I need to take a week off from lifting anyways, I messed up my lifting schedule, so I can go into this little program “fresh” I suppose). What kinda stats do you need?

[quote]Mr. Push Ups wrote:
Your the only loser that uses insults
[/quote]

lol

try wash cloth push-ups, just grab two wash cloths lay them flat on a tile or wood floor about 6 inches wider than shoulder width and do push-ups on them and as your arms extend slide your hands closer together. you can also try doing it bands around your wrists to add resistance to the movement.

this in place of d.b flyes or after a few sets of flyes sure add enough stimulation to bring up you lagging chest…but hey if it isn’t broke don’t fix it, that isn’t to say you can’t modify it.

dips are considered by many as the squat for the upper body have you tried ultra heavy top range dips(7,8x1,3), high rep dips(6x20,25), heavy negatives(6,8x6,8)

try heavy neg. dips 5x6
body weight dips 4x12,15
wash cloth push-ups 2,3xmax reps 15,20

Mr. Pushups, if you know so much and have worked out for twenty years, why do you only weigh 175lbs? Just curious because I would think you would weigh more than that with a huge chest.