T Nation

BEST Overhead Programming

What is the best programming you guys have used for increasing overhead event strength. I have access to barbell, axel and log. I can work it twice a week if ned be but i really want a smart well known way to do it. Tried 5/3/1 today with barbell clean and press using double overhand continental form and missed 3 reps on my last set of five. Thinking maybe 5/3/1 aint right for this?

I had great success using 5/3/1 to increase my overhead

My split was 2 days a week BBB

‘Overhead day’ was on Strongman day, week 1 5/3/1 log week 2 531 axle

‘Bench day’ was 5/3/1 Incline log , on week 2 531 Axle floor press
Followed by 5x10 strict axle presses, week 2 strict log presses

My split was 2 days a week BBB with an events day sat

Thanks, maybe I am just being a pussy but are you cleaning and pressing each rep on strongman day? what are your best presses?

I’m only relaying information here.

I highly suggest you take a look at the writings of Charles A Smith on pressing. He was the guy who coached Hepburn to his world record.

With respect to programming, take a look at these three:
“Press Schedules of the Champions” by Charles A. Smith
"How To Plan Your Pressing Schedules" by Charles A. Smith
"How the Champions Train for the Press" by Charles A. Smith

You can google for them.

Hope that helps. I’m also curious as to some of the more “modern” methods for training it, so I’ll be following this thread.

5-3-1 will work. Is your training max 90% of your clean and press or 90%of your push press? If you are c&p each rep, your training max should be 90% of your 1rm of clean and press.

[quote]MiJuggernaut wrote:
Thanks, maybe I am just being a pussy but are you cleaning and pressing each rep on strongman day? what are your best presses?[/quote]

I rotate months of rep press and clean & press(I use my strict press weight as my TM for c&p though)

BW 190, best axle is 260, best log is also 260.

[quote]MiJuggernaut wrote:
What is the best programming you guys have used for increasing overhead event strength. I have access to barbell, axel and log. I can work it twice a week if ned be but i really want a smart well known way to do it. Tried 5/3/1 today with barbell clean and press using double overhand continental form and missed 3 reps on my last set of five. Thinking maybe 5/3/1 aint right for this?[/quote]

Did you miss the press or did you miss the clean? Maybe drop the TM on weeks you clean&press?

I do credit incline a log press for getting my press past a sticking point of 220/230

Volume and frequency worked for me. Alot of strict pressing.

I have made some great gains on my strict overhead press in the past few months. I went from a 1rm of around 225 to a 1rm of around 275 in 3 months. My programming:

Week 1:
Monday: Work up to 5rm, drop to 80% and do 3x5
Accessories (pull ups, bench press, barbell rows, curls)
Saturday:5x5 Log clean and press
Strongman events

Week 2:
Monday: Work up to 3rm, drop to 80% and do 3x5
Accessories (pull ups, bench press, barbell rows, curls)
Saturday:5x5 Log clean and press
Strongman events

Week 3:
Monday: Work up to 2rm, drop to 80% and do 3x5
Accessories (pull ups, bench press, barbell rows, curls)
Saturday:5x5 Log clean and press
Strongman events

I just push hard and try to hit a calc 1rm PR every week which has worked for the past 7 weeks in a row.

Do you do a deload after those three weeks or do you just keep rotating them?

[quote]Silyak wrote:
Do you do a deload after those three weeks or do you just keep rotating them?[/quote]

I just keep rotating them. After I stall I’ll deload though and maybe change the overhead variation for the next cycle. I do this same thing with my deadlift and squat as well and it’s been working really well.

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
I have made some great gains on my strict overhead press in the past few months. I went from a 1rm of around 225 to a 1rm of around 275 in 3 months. My programming:

Week 1:
Monday: Work up to 5rm, drop to 80% and do 3x5
[/quote]

When you dropped to 80%, is this 80% of the 5 RM?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
I have made some great gains on my strict overhead press in the past few months. I went from a 1rm of around 225 to a 1rm of around 275 in 3 months. My programming:

Week 1:
Monday: Work up to 5rm, drop to 80% and do 3x5
[/quote]

When you dropped to 80%, is this 80% of the 5 RM?[/quote]

Yes, I drop to 80% of the heaviest weight I lifted that day. So that’s 80% of a 5rm, the next week it’s 80% of a 3rm and the next week it’s 80% of a 2rm. Lately, I have been doing a single at 80% every minute on the minute for 10 minutes instead of 3x5 and it has been working well.

I recently did smolov junior but used strict press instead of bench, stuck to it for 8 weeks and added around 15kg to my max push press. I would highly recommend it.

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
I have made some great gains on my strict overhead press in the past few months. I went from a 1rm of around 225 to a 1rm of around 275 in 3 months. My programming:

Week 1:
Monday: Work up to 5rm, drop to 80% and do 3x5
[/quote]

When you dropped to 80%, is this 80% of the 5 RM?[/quote]

Yes, I drop to 80% of the heaviest weight I lifted that day. So that’s 80% of a 5rm, the next week it’s 80% of a 3rm and the next week it’s 80% of a 2rm. Lately, I have been doing a single at 80% every minute on the minute for 10 minutes instead of 3x5 and it has been working well.
[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation. Why the switch? Variety or just not making the same kind of progress as before?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
I have made some great gains on my strict overhead press in the past few months. I went from a 1rm of around 225 to a 1rm of around 275 in 3 months. My programming:

Week 1:
Monday: Work up to 5rm, drop to 80% and do 3x5
[/quote]

When you dropped to 80%, is this 80% of the 5 RM?[/quote]

Yes, I drop to 80% of the heaviest weight I lifted that day. So that’s 80% of a 5rm, the next week it’s 80% of a 3rm and the next week it’s 80% of a 2rm. Lately, I have been doing a single at 80% every minute on the minute for 10 minutes instead of 3x5 and it has been working well.
[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation. Why the switch? Variety or just not making the same kind of progress as before?[/quote]
I swapped because I was prepping for a meet with a 1rm overhead press so I figured I’d work more singles in. Also, doing reps on ohp started irritating my shoulder but doing singles doesn’t hurt at all. I am progressing just as quickly as when I did 3x5.

I was a little slow on the reply, but thanks for explaining. Sometime down the road I’ll probably give both of those approaches a shot.