T Nation

Best Offseason Rugby Strength Program?

Hi all,

I have about 13 weeks of offseason starting today to improve my strength/power/athleticism. I want to play flanker/lock and am 6’2 200lbs. I’ve just lost about 15lbs of fat and want to keep this off while gaining strength with minimal mass (improve relative strength as much as possible). I haven’t been in the gym consistently for over a year. Here are my lifts:

Clean: 220
Deadlift: 330
Squat: 250 (haven’t done for a while)
Bench: 220 (haven’t done for a while)

My goals:

Bench: 260
Squat: 320
Deadlift: 400

And if I can surpass these then obviously I’d like to. I also need to work on my cardiovascular conditioning, but I know that will come a little later. What would be a good plan for me?

I’m thinking either 5x5 (I’ve probably outgrown SS already…or have I?) or something like Pavel’s PTP/Dan John’s 40 day workout for max strength gains.

Any input would be mutch appreciated. Thanks

Hey man,

I’ll take a piece from Joe DeFranco, and say focus on getting as strong as possible in the early stages of the offseason. Strength is the base for all other athletic qualities; speed, agility, power, etc… and while doing so focus on doing a shit load of foam rolling to make sure you don’t tighten up and you are nice and loose when you begin your conditioning phase.

His Westside barbell for skinny bastards program helped me big time before, my bench, squat, and deadlift sky rocketed.

As for conditioning, I believe that beginning your conditioning program around 7 weeks before your season will be ideal. THats more than enough time to get your conditioning matched up with your new found strength.

I hope this helps

GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks for the tip. Yes I am going to do Rippetoe’s Starting Strength for a few weeks to see if I have any linear gains left in me. When I stall I’ll take a little break and start on Madcow’s 5x5.

Thanks

Hey solidgk,

Just wondered what sort of level you play/aim to play at? Also age, previous playing experience & where you think you are CV wise… Does your team/college etc. have any pre-season schedule?

Dependant on the factors above your numbers could be pretty reasonable for rugby & you might condsider a more rounded approach to your off season - with regards to speed & CV as well as strength work.

J

[quote]solidgk wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Yes I am going to do Rippetoe’s Starting Strength for a few weeks to see if I have any linear gains left in me. When I stall I’ll take a little break and start on Madcow’s 5x5.

Thanks[/quote]

This sounds like a good idea. Bill Starrs (‘Madcow’) 5x5 helped my squat tremendously. I’d probably forgo the SS and make sure I started Starrs 5x5 with a low enough 5RM.

Also I’d focus less on 1RMs and more on 5RMs.

I’m currently in-season (prop/lock) using Wendlers 5/3/1 twice a week.