Best of the Best Training Modalities

Hi Ellington,
I’m still using a variety of training modalities which I switch regularly. I do “enjoy” 30-10-30 (not sure enjoy is the right word!). I also like double holds and have found that pump / stimulate / flutter has a solid place for me but in your opinion and experience do you think there is a best of the best and which would it be?

Thanks

1 Like

Its funny…i was wondering the same thing

Isn’t the Surge Challenge program the best of the best? It has everything but the kitchen sink incl. 30-10-30 - which means enough variety to make even the most stubborn muscle fibers to grow. I look forward trying it in the future (must change some diapers first).

Layered training (which the Surge Challenge is) is most certaintly a unique and new stimulus. Is it the best of the best? Maybe… IMO variety is the best. There are so many different modality options…

I agree. I do find similarities in later programs by prominent coaches/authors in the field. They all seem to have read the later studies presented (why wouldn’t they?). Variety or different phases featuring different stimulus seem to be all the rage. And - it’s working!

That being said, the Surge Challenge is unique in it’s own way in many aspects. No other program has the pump followed by stimulus and flutters - as well as the inclusion of 30-10-30. This is truly a HIT program.

One question to Dr Darden @Ellington_Darden though (not sure if this has been dealt with already - in that case, please link me right):

What results could you hypothetically reach with the Surge Challenge program - if excluding Surge? (Would you die a catabolic death?)

1 Like

The program is designed around the advantages Surge Workout Fuel provides; it’s why the program exists.

1. You couldn’t perform the workouts with the required intensity and pace.
  2. You’d sacrifice most of the gains.
  3. You’d burn out quickly.
1 Like

I’m still involved with the Surge Challenge. It has delivered the best size gains of my lifting career.

The program is hard work. I think there were originally about 30 members involved; now there are three. Some of the guys moved on to other programs and/or had different goals, but I think this also speaks to the effort required. I end most workouts, especially the leg workouts, laying on the floor for a few minutes and wondering what my life has become.

I’m entering week 12 and feeling a little burned out, even with the Surge. The Surge definitely helps.

I found the original stimulate reps more demanding than the 30-10-30 method, which is far from easy. Those began and ended with a 10-second hold in the stretch position, followed by paused reps and slow negatives. Absolutely killer. I’d be willing to bet the 1 & 1/2 reps will also be incredibly demanding. YMMV.

3 Likes

Periodisation is as old as time. Nothing “new” or different about it.

4 Likes

Thanks for this! I will make sure to follow your (and others SC) log in order to draw valuable experience from you - before I do the program myself.

Somewhat ambivalent feeling that I couldn’t follow my guru (Dr Darden) when they looked for participants in the SC - almost exactly in time when my 3rd child was born. Fortunately, I made the right priority - because the alternative would have been both a training and a family disaster. Currently into maintenance home training mode, even losing some muscle - but who cares long term? You easily gain the lost pounds back. Now this became a confession in the wrong thread.

@Tim_Patterson and/or @Ellington_Darden : Will you be accepting new entries in the SC? Any plans on doing it again?

1 Like

Tempered Variety – varying stimulation – is essential IMO for continued success. I generally change methods every 4 to 6 weeks, but also employ multiple methods (usually 2) in each workout. I like 3 set combos on each exercise — pyramiding, straight sets with short rests, Pump Set followed by 50%, Surge “style”, and sometimes even DC are employed. I have also been doing an X3 Elite heavy band-only workout once per week.
Ultimately, whatever you enjoy (as someone said, “enjoy” is a relative word) is your best workout… As long as critical feedback is employed!!!

Feel the same about the challenge. Was out of the loop for a few days and door is slammed

1 Like

It appears that all the program details have now been shared, and anyone can (as far as I know) purchase the surge product. I’m sure Darden would answer any questions you have here, or on an open Surge thread. What else do you need?

1 Like

It to be free again! :rofl::rofl: