T Nation

Best Moment as President

President George W. Bush says his best moment as president was the time he caught a 7 1/2-pound (3 1/2-kilogram) largemouth bass.

During his more than five years in office, Bush has traveled the world’s most impressive cities, met with world leaders and entertained celebrities.

But when the German newspaper Bild asked him to name his best and worst moments as president, Bush gave an offbeat answer about the best moment, while giving a more predictable response about his worst.

“I would say the best moment was when I caught a 7 1/2-pound largemouth bass on my lake,” Bush said, laughing.

Yet you all endorse this guy as president?

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
President George W. Bush says his best moment as president was the time he caught a 7 1/2-pound (3 1/2-kilogram) largemouth bass.

During his more than five years in office, Bush has traveled the world’s most impressive cities, met with world leaders and entertained celebrities.

But when the German newspaper Bild asked him to name his best and worst moments as president, Bush gave an offbeat answer about the best moment, while giving a more predictable response about his worst.

“I would say the best moment was when I caught a 7 1/2-pound largemouth bass on my lake,” Bush said, laughing.

Yet you all endorse this guy as president?[/quote]

I realize folksy humor must absolutely be lost on you.

If a liberal president makes the same joke, you fawn over his self-deprecating, “aw shucks” humility and the virtue of not taking himself too seriously.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Petedacook wrote:
President George W. Bush says his best moment as president was the time he caught a 7 1/2-pound (3 1/2-kilogram) largemouth bass.

During his more than five years in office, Bush has traveled the world’s most impressive cities, met with world leaders and entertained celebrities.

But when the German newspaper Bild asked him to name his best and worst moments as president, Bush gave an offbeat answer about the best moment, while giving a more predictable response about his worst.

“I would say the best moment was when I caught a 7 1/2-pound largemouth bass on my lake,” Bush said, laughing.

Yet you all endorse this guy as president?

I realize folksy humor must absolutely be lost on you.

If a liberal president makes the same joke, you fawn over his self-deprecating, “aw shucks” humility and the virtue of not taking himself too seriously.[/quote]

Well said.

Please my Bush hating friends, hate him for good reasons, not because he choked on a goddamn pretzel (funny as that was).

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Petedacook wrote:
President George W. Bush says his best moment as president was the time he caught a 7 1/2-pound (3 1/2-kilogram) largemouth bass.

During his more than five years in office, Bush has traveled the world’s most impressive cities, met with world leaders and entertained celebrities.

But when the German newspaper Bild asked him to name his best and worst moments as president, Bush gave an offbeat answer about the best moment, while giving a more predictable response about his worst.

“I would say the best moment was when I caught a 7 1/2-pound largemouth bass on my lake,” Bush said, laughing.

Yet you all endorse this guy as president?

I realize folksy humor must absolutely be lost on you.

If a liberal president makes the same joke, you fawn over his self-deprecating, “aw shucks” humility and the virtue of not taking himself too seriously.[/quote]

Following this logic his response to the worst moment as president would also be satyrical. As a wellinformed person I am sure you know what he said the worst moment as president was.

Now I ask you; does your logic follow?

Can you really justify accompanying satyr with the atrocity he chose as the worst moment as president?

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
thunderbolt23 wrote:
Petedacook wrote:
President George W. Bush says his best moment as president was the time he caught a 7 1/2-pound (3 1/2-kilogram) largemouth bass.

During his more than five years in office, Bush has traveled the world’s most impressive cities, met with world leaders and entertained celebrities.

But when the German newspaper Bild asked him to name his best and worst moments as president, Bush gave an offbeat answer about the best moment, while giving a more predictable response about his worst.

“I would say the best moment was when I caught a 7 1/2-pound largemouth bass on my lake,” Bush said, laughing.

Yet you all endorse this guy as president?

I realize folksy humor must absolutely be lost on you.

If a liberal president makes the same joke, you fawn over his self-deprecating, “aw shucks” humility and the virtue of not taking himself too seriously.

Well said.

Please my Bush hating friends, hate him for good reasons, not because he choked on a goddamn pretzel (funny as that was).
[/quote]

How about I hate him because he is a national embarrassment that does not know what tribal sovereignty is?

Or how about his inability to complete an articulate speech. sentence, or complete a press conference without somehow stumbling over the english language or some random cliche he attempts to quote?

Before I go on, exactly what would you find an acceptable reason for my hating Bush, or anyone else hating him for that matter?

I am guessing nothing, because you look with closed eyes.

You see, I hated Clinton also. I look with my eyes open. I dislike actions, not the party affiliation.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:

Following this logic his response to the worst moment as president would also be satyrical. As a wellinformed person I am sure you know what he said the worst moment as president was.[/quote]

Following what what logic?

What “logical principle” mandates that Bush answer a question about his best performance in the same style that he answers about his worst performance?

Hint: there is none. People are often self-deprecating when asked to speak about what they have accomplished, as an act of being humble. People often are hard on themselves when asked about mistakes, i.e., very self-critical.

There is no logic maxim that says “if you are satirical when asked about your accomplishments, you must thus be satirical when asked about your failures.”

That is plain stupid.

Yeah, mine does - does yours?

You have abused the word “logic” in a way that is criminal.

Well, a couple of things:

  1. Why would he have to respond with “satyr” when asked about his “atrocities”?

  2. Are we talking about the mythical goat-man that frolics the woods? Or something else?

You come off as someone who has absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:

Or how about his inability to complete an articulate speech. sentence, or complete a press conference without somehow stumbling over the english language or some random cliche he attempts to quote? [/quote]

You chastis Bush for mangling the English language, and then you type “satyr” above?

The irony is merciless.

Hell, even I don’t hate Clinton. “Hate” seems to be your primary engine of discussion. Shame.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Who pissed in Pete’s Wheaties? All full of anger. I think he just discovered moveon.org.

A leader with a sense of humor really messes up the libs/dissidents/socialists/revolutionists/ or whatever they like to be called.

During his more than five years in office, Bush has traveled the world’s most impressive cities, met with world leaders and entertained celebrities.

But when the German newspaper Bild asked him to name his best and worst moments as president, Bush gave an offbeat answer about the best moment, while giving a more predictable response about his worst.

“I would say the best moment was when I caught a 7 1/2-pound largemouth bass on my lake,” Bush said, laughing.

Yet you all endorse this guy as president?"

No, but I might start if he knocks off all the “satyr” and gives a thoughtful, serious answer – something like entertaining a celebrity or visiting an “impressive” city. Now those are some “best moments” that I could really stand behind.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
If a liberal president makes the same joke, you fawn over his self-deprecating, “aw shucks” humility and the virtue of not taking himself too seriously.[/quote]

Or maybe we might expect a job related answer?

“Hey LIFT, what was your best moment as a physicist?”

“Hmmm…that’s a hard one. Probably the time they served tacos at the unversity members lounge.”

Speaking of shameless remarks, Bush made fun of the plight of a mother of three, one of which is mentally challenged.

Here’s the transcript:

[i]MS. MORNIN: That’s good, because I work three jobs and I feel like I contribute.

THE PRESIDENT: You work three jobs?

MS. MORNIN: Three jobs, yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Uniquely American, isn’t it? I mean, that is fantastic that you’re doing that. (Applause.) Get any sleep? (Laughter.)[/i]

Seriously, does a miserable old gal who busts her hump to survive need to hear this crap from a silverspoon fed brat? I would have to say NO!

[quote]lixy wrote:

THE PRESIDENT: Uniquely American, isn’t it? I mean, that is fantastic that you’re doing that. (Applause.) Get any sleep? (Laughter.)[/i]

Seriously, does a miserable old gal who busts her hump to survive need to hear this crap from a silverspoon fed brat? I would have to say NO![/quote]

You mean he disarmingly cracks wise after saying he said she was fantastic for doing that?

Oh, and “I would have to say NO!” - seriously.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:

Oh, and “I would have to say NO!” - seriously.

[/quote]

You say NO to every stupid or wrong thing the Republican party does, yet spew drivel about the other party. Can you name any significant factor you are unhappy with during the Bush administration which Bush was responsible for?

[quote]lixy wrote:
Speaking of shameless remarks, Bush made fun of the plight of a mother of three, one of which is mentally challenged.

Here’s the transcript:

[i]MS. MORNIN: That’s good, because I work three jobs and I feel like I contribute.

THE PRESIDENT: You work three jobs?

MS. MORNIN: Three jobs, yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Uniquely American, isn’t it? I mean, that is fantastic that you’re doing that. (Applause.) Get any sleep? (Laughter.)[/i]

Seriously, does a miserable old gal who busts her hump to survive need to hear this crap from a silverspoon fed brat? I would have to say NO![/quote]

So where exactly is he making fun of her?

Yes, she works 3 jobs. Perhaps, you should try working one.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:

You say NO to every stupid or wrong thing the Republican party does, yet spew drivel about the other party. Can you name any significant factor you are unhappy with during the Bush administration which Bush was responsible for?[/quote]

How much time do you have? My complaints about Bush go for a while - and the current Republican party. What do you want to hear first?

And still waiting on you to solve that “logic” problem from earlier - you know, the one with mythical Greek creatures?

Yeah, this is pretty low on the list of Bush crimes (not meant in a legal sense, although it could be) to get mad about. End of the day, he’s a pretty likeable guy. Watch “Journeys with George” some time.

If you want to see something he said that is appalling, look into the Tucker Carlson/Talk magazine interview during the 2000 campaign when Bush seemed to mock a serial killer’s plea for mercy.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Who pissed in Pete’s Wheaties? All full of anger. I think he just discovered moveon.org.

A leader with a sense of humor really messes up the libs/dissidents/socialists/revolutionists/ or whatever they like to be called.[/quote]

And you manage to polarize another thread that has nothing to do with sides! Yay for you.

If you can honestly say you’ve never seen a liberal attacked for retarded shit like this, you haven’t watched the news or been on the internet in the past, say, two centuries.

The point is, Pete, I don’t like Bush. I don’t like him because of NCLB, because of Iraq, because of the Patriot Act, because of his derogatory comments about atheists, because he was elected the first time with a base of religious fundamentalism. The fact that he can’t speak English very well is funny, and I laugh at it, but thats not why I dislike him. We can easily mock the other world leaders, pointing out their many faults.

You say you hate actions, so comment on actions.

This is an isolated incident, in which Mr. Bush made a bit of a verbal faux pas, and went from a light hearted joke to a serious statement. And if it happened to be the other way around, it wasn’t even a faux pas. This is just as bad as when the cons blasted Hilary for using a Southern accent while reading a quote. It’s absolute non-sense as a form of attack.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
lixy wrote:
Speaking of shameless remarks, Bush made fun of the plight of a mother of three, one of which is mentally challenged.

Here’s the transcript:

[i]MS. MORNIN: That’s good, because I work three jobs and I feel like I contribute.

THE PRESIDENT: You work three jobs?

MS. MORNIN: Three jobs, yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Uniquely American, isn’t it? I mean, that is fantastic that you’re doing that. (Applause.) Get any sleep? (Laughter.)[/i]

Seriously, does a miserable old gal who busts her hump to survive need to hear this crap from a silverspoon fed brat? I would have to say NO!

So where exactly is he making fun of her?

Yes, she works 3 jobs. Perhaps, you should try working one.
[/quote]

DAAAAAMN! Owned.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
You have abused the word “logic” in a way that is criminal.
[/quote]

haha. Awesome quote. Going to have to use that one.