T Nation

Best Method for Neuro Type 2B to Increase 1RM?

You mentioned in your neurotyping article on type 2 that mind muscle connection is of the utmost importance, and that type 2s tend to over do it in the low rep range. So what would the best approach be for a type 2b to increase 1 rm strength?

CT, I’m wondering too, which program would you recommend (or what kind of template) for a 2b ?

I would say strength skill. Multiple sets of 3 reps with 75-85% weights. Plus things like isometric holds during sets, slow negatives, pauses etc

Not 100% correct

To be honest type 2B is NOT build for 1RM strength. Their neurological component is low and their muscular component is high.

The sentence that best describes how they should train is “they get stronger by building muscle”. In other word they should focus on muscle-building methods and as they get bigger their strength will increase. If they do too much neurological work (heavy weights at or above 90%, explosive sets, high skill movements) they will crash.

They can do work above 90% for 2, maybe 3 weeks. For that reason they should build strength with…

• Repetition work in the 75-85% range (sets of 5-8 reps per set)… for them using the double progression model for 4-6 reps on the main lift is the best primary option

• One or two assistance lifts done for either 4-6 or 6-8 using the double progression model once again

• Plenty of isolation work for the muscles that are the most important in the main lifts

Pauses included in the lift during the eccentric can also be used (I would still use the double progression model) mostly.

I will not give you a program, but here is a general idea of what it should look like:

PHASE 1 - ACCUMULATION (4 weeks)
Main lift: 4 work sets of 4-6 using the double progression model
Assistance exercise 1: 4 work sets of 4-6 using the double progression model
Assistance exercise 2: 3 work sets of 6-8 using the double progression model
Antagonist superset 1: 3 work sets of 8-10 per exercise not using any progression model but shoot for muscle failure
Antagonist superset 2: 3 work sets of 12-15 reps

PHASE 2 - INTENSIFICATION (4 weeks)
Main lift: 4 work sets of 3-5 using the double progression model
Assistance exercise 1: 4 work sets of 4-6 with a slow eccentric tempo OR a 3 sec pause during the eccentric, using the double progression model
Assistance exercise 2: 3 work sets of 4-6 with a slow eccentric tempo OR a 3 sec pause during the eccentric, using the double progression model
Remedial exercise 1: Isolation exercise for a key muscle in the lift, 4 work sets of 6-8 reps to failure
Remedial exercise 2: Isolation exercise for a key muscle in the lift, 3 work sets of 8-10 reps to failure

PHASE 3 - REALIZATION (3 weeks)
Main lift: Week 1 = Ramp to 3RM, Week 2 = Ramp to 2RM, Week 3 - ramp to 1RM
Assistance exercise (only one): Week 1 = 4 x 4-6, Week 2 = 3 x 4-6, Week 3 = None
Remedial exercises (two): Week 1 = 4 x 6-8 to failure, Week 2 = 3 x 6-8 to failure, week 3 = 3 x 8 not to failure
Main lift doublé: 3 sets of max reps with 80% of the RM of the day

NOTE: The main lift doesn’t change for the whole cycle. The assistance exercises change every phase. The remedial work can change at every workout if you want

CT , I remember Reading somewhere that EMOM could be a great idea for 2b neuro too (at just 75%-80% 1RM).
How would you implement a training program with EMOM?
I mean, what kind of pregression method?
Thanks a lot in advance.

I’m sorry for asking again but I’m really interested in what you think CT.
Please do.not think I’m trying to make you answer as It was an obligation. Just if you want or have time.

That would be a whole article, not a forum reply

Damn. Well thank you anyway as you’r ALWAYS providing this page lots of excellent content!