Best Mcdonald's Post Training Meal?

[quote]HaveIronWillLift wrote:

1. How can poor technique damage the erg?

2. My rowing technique is not geared towards actual rowing. I use the machine mostly for HIIT row sprints. I also lock out my legs at the finish to get some VMO activation.

3. Because I’m rowing HIIT style the machine moves forward with the power phase unless I put weight plates on the front of it.

Question 1 is serious. I’m not claiming to know anything about rowing. Just curious as to what you mean. I’ve seen idiots at the gym using rowing machines in all sorts of ridiculous ways but have never seen a D2 damaged by them.
[/quote]

1. Massive chain whip, lack of connection, and people using fan settings they have no business using result in exponential wear and tear on the erg. Chains break, elasticity bands snap, seats come lose, internal fan structure degrades.
  2. I don’t give a damn if it’s geared towards actual rowing or simple fitness, piss poor technique (99% of people that use it) can contribute and often does contribute to a multitude of back issues and scapula issues. I tell almost everyone to stay off unless they have an actual rower teach them (personal trainers don’t know shit about the machine and teach it wrong all the time).
  3. No, it has nothing to do with you rowing HIIT style, the machine moves forward because you have shitty technique.

I have been a competitive rower at the highest levels in the country, and a coach for many years now. I oversee equipment management for my club as well and am constantly having to fix ergs that we designate to our “Development Squad” (middle school program) because of crappy technique. This isn’t something that is learned easily or quickly. I’ve got seniors in high school that still erg like crap because they just don’t get it, it is extremely technical.

For more information see this thread where I go into lots of depth about technique, physiological and psychological aspects of training with an erg, and a multitude of other tid bits of information about the erg and the sport of rowing.