Best Martial Art to Enroll Daughters In?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Wayland wrote:
Boxing,Judo,BJJ,Muay Thai,Kickboxing,Savate, catch wrestling, Some japanese jujitsu clubs and certain styles of Karate, aslong as the style has a certain amount of aliveness will leave them in good stead.

Martial arts that look flashy and promise alot usually fall short. Arts that fall into this are “generally” Taekwondo, Certain karate styles, Aikido, some japanese jujitsu, kempo, almost all kungfu styles

This post is a sign of the times, and completely false.

Please don’t give any more advice on this forum.[/quote]

Might have to elaborate there Irish, Wayland’s post seems quite reasonable to me. I don’t necessarily agree with the advice given, but it doesn’t look “completely false”.

Again I say to you, boxing. Or maybe kickboxing. Nobody like getting a jab in the face. Or a roundhouse kick to the face.

[quote]Therizza wrote:
Again I say to you, boxing. Or maybe kickboxing. Nobody like getting a jab in the face. Or a roundhouse kick to the face.[/quote]

I am assuming that last bit is a joke! That Cro Cop pic is an excellent depiction of why no one should ever try a kick to the head on “The Street”.

This thread has me interested because there are definitely big differences in choosing a style for a woman, perhaps due mainly to the differences in the threats faced? I would assume (maybe I am sheltered) that you are less likely to have people try to “fight” with you, and that if you are called upon to defend yourself the situation is probably fucking serious. The more I think about it the more I think something like Krav Maga or high quality self defence classes, as opposed to a TMA or combat sport, might be the most appropriate thing, something that includes threat awareness etc.

[quote]Roundhead wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
Wayland wrote:
Boxing,Judo,BJJ,Muay Thai,Kickboxing,Savate, catch wrestling, Some japanese jujitsu clubs and certain styles of Karate, aslong as the style has a certain amount of aliveness will leave them in good stead.

Martial arts that look flashy and promise alot usually fall short. Arts that fall into this are “generally” Taekwondo, Certain karate styles, Aikido, some japanese jujitsu, kempo, almost all kungfu styles

This post is a sign of the times, and completely false.

Please don’t give any more advice on this forum.

Might have to elaborate there Irish, Wayland’s post seems quite reasonable to me. I don’t necessarily agree with the advice given, but it doesn’t look “completely false”.
[/quote]

I’m going to elaborate on my thoughts on the whole thread, but to start with, this post is not fair to martial arts like aikido, kung fu, and other TMA’s that are dismissed so quickly.

Every art has a purpose, and that purpose generally stems from what the founder of it had to deal with. Wing Chun is an infighting style that is excellent for enclosed areas, but it isn’t going to be great in an empty parking lot. Tae Kwon Do (which many foolishly look at as “useless”) if used by a taller guy in that empty parking lot, is going to have you picking up your teeth at the end of the night. In a crowded bar, however, it’s going to be hard to get that necessary distance. Aikido won’t work so well against a boxer, but if someone is charging at you, odds are is you’ll be able to throw him a couple feet and book it out of there. Most of the arts are intertwined with each other, and steal shit from each other constantly. There are no useless arts, and much depends on the teacher who’s teaching it.

For those recommending BJJ, you are doing the OP a great disservice. I truly enjoy BJJ. It is a brilliant art that is tailor-made for martial arts competitions. However, it should not be a base for streetfighting, and should not be relied upon for “self-defense” for a woman. The reasoning behind it is this:

If you study military shit at all, you’ll see that when there is a smaller, weaker opponent, the tactics they successfully emply are hit and run, guerilla style tactics. Sudden, fierce attacks, followed by an immediate retreat to a place of safety. The last thing you want to do with a smaller, weaker force is get caught up in a pitched battle with a stronger adversary, because every second that they can bring more force to bear, your odds of surviving decrease. IF you stay in there too long, you’ll get destroyed. Vietnam has some great examples of this.

If you’re a woman (or anyone really, but especially a woman), the longer you engage, the more likely things are to go wrong. If you end up on the ground, your sole purpose should be to attack so viciously to vital points that you can deter your attacker. Eyes, ears, nose, throat, eyes- try to rip and gouge. It’s combat, not sport. Don’t go for armbars and kimuras- every second extra second you spend increases the liklihood that you’ll catch an elbow to the face and get knocked out on the pavement, or that you’ll get stabbed or beaten with a weapon. Sitting there and engaging is going to get you killed.

The OP needs to tell how old his daughters are before anyone gives advice. What can they absorb? What will they understand? If they’re 6 years old, you’re going to have a difficult time teaching them true self defense, which starts with AVOIDANCE and AWARENESS.

Can you teach a 6 year old what a pincer movement is? Can you teach them how to spot a setup, or where it’s going to occur? Can you teach them how to look at someone and get a quick idea if they have a weapon, how they’d hold it, and whether they’re righty or lefty? More importantly, does the teacher of your “self defense” art know how?

Will they teach you how to deal with the adrenaline dump? You won’t find that shit in a Muay Thai class. Will they teach you that under that dump, you’re very, very, very likely to turn into a flailing asshole instead of a trained fighter- and that its very difficult to combat?

Much of what’s passed off as self defense really isn’t. They’re fighting arts, sure, but they don’t teach you things that you could learn in a half hour of talking to a cop, things that you really, really could use to save your life.

Martial arts are great things. All of them. They’ll teach discipline and get her in great shape. Striking arts will teach her to throw a punch or palm heel without breaking her wrist, which is why I advise them over any others. They’ll teach you the basics that you could possibly use to deter an attacker. However, most fall sadly short when it comes to how to avoid bad situations, stop trouble coming, etc.

I study boxing myself. To me, it works the best under the worst adrenaline dump- using your fists to hit for big targets, no fine motor movements, and teaches you to automatically duck and slip. Palm heels and elbows are easily integrated into it, and it keeps you standing so you can GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE… because, you know, in self-defense, that’s the damn goal. Would it be the best for her? Maybe, maybe not. For a female who’s not going to get hammered ass drunk and get into a barfight like some dick like me would, the time could probably be better spent learning avoidance and awareness while practicing physical moves that are absolutely brutal (because if she is that situation, that’s what she’ll need. It’ll be combat, not a fight.)

If his girls are in college or HS age, I would say find a self-defense class taught by someone who knows what they’re doing. At my old college, there were free classes taught by the police chief for anyone who wanted to go. I would take that in a FUCKING SECOND for a female over any martial art taught by some guy who has never been in a confrontation outside of the ring… or worse, as is the case with some TMA’s, someone who’s never been hit in the face.

Sorry for the novel… if you need clarifications let me know… violence against woman hits too close to home for me.

I made a post on Parker’s last thread (that everyone ignored, sadly, because she was asking for help) where she said what she was doing as far as a women’s only class.

Violence between two males is probably a social domination situation… violence against women is predatory, and of a completely different nature. You’re going from two rams butting heads to a tiger stalking an elk- the situations are not the same, and call for COMPLETELY different responses.

Give that the majority of rapes are of the acquaintance and date rape types and in the victim’s or someone else’s home, a woman will already find herself grappling with a man if she’s in that situation.

Yea I was joking lol

There were some great posts on the subject by many people in this thread as well.

I’d go with grappling arts over striking without a doubt to start. I have a daughter and I’m into combat sports so naturally, even though she’s a year old, we roll. 99% of all assaults wind up on the ground. Sure its good to have some striking, but eventually it will end up on the ground and you want her to be able to defend herself there.

Go with Gracie Jiu Jitsu, GJJ, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a joke the way most McDojo’s teach it these days. It’s watered down and there are many crucial elements left out. Try to find a certified GJJ academy. Krav Maga is excellent for self defense in striking. My daughter will have solid GJJ and Sambo for ground fighting and Muay thai, JKD/Kali, and Krav Maga for her stand up. Just like daddy :slight_smile:

[quote]admbaum wrote:
99% of all assaults wind up on the ground. [/quote]

Absolutely false.

Find a source for this one- you’ll find it miraculously came out of nowhere about the same time BJJ got big.

It’s not true, and one of the most dangerous fallacies out there.

If a girl gets taken down, fight’s over. Too much of a compromised position, especially for a female, imo.

you tell me your source for how I’m wrong and I’ll search for non-BJJ related data on it to back up my claim. I dont particularly care about proving it to you in this forum. All the street fights I’ve been in have ended up on the ground, and nearly all the street fights I’ve seen has ended up on the ground. Ask any cop, bouncer, security guard and they will agree. To dismiss the need for effective ground fighting is ignorant and naive.

How old are the girls? I like judo because you learn to break grips and stay on your feet. More than anything, sports like Judo give you confidence, and confidence alone is very visible to predators and enough to deter people who would otherwise target you. There are also general precautions that every girl should take. Make sure they travel in groups and that a male is always present.

Also, if you ever study criminal psyc. or read interviews of rapists, there are some common themes. Rapists prefer to target woman who walk with slouched posture, wear concealing clothing, and appear to have low self-esteem. The attractive woman who is showing a lot of cleavage, wearing heels, walking with a swagger, and seems to be on the boisterous side is in less danger even though it wouldn’t seem that way.

[quote]admbaum wrote:
you tell me your source for how I’m wrong and I’ll search for non-BJJ related data on it to back up my claim. I dont particularly care about proving it to you in this forum.
[/quote]

Then DON’T SAY SHIT THAT YOU’RE NOT WILLING TO BACK UP. You want to pull that shit, go over to sherdog, they like that crap.

No, they don’t. And I’m sure you’ve been in a plethora of street fights, but that’s beside the point.

The only time a fight of mine went to the ground is when I got hit three times by different people and dropped. A friend of mine saved my life that night- it was easily the most danger I’ve ever been in.

Most fights don’t go to the ground unless someone gets their clock cleaned- and it’s a different world when that happens.

No, they won’t. That statistic came from a POLICE report that said that about 3/4 of ARRESTS went to the ground- officer’s encounters. This makes sense, because to cuff someone, you need them pinned. But that’s not really how it goes.

Here’s a guy who’s been a security guard and a bouncer, talking about the very issue, and he explains it better than I can.

http://www.uechi-ryu.com/interview_with_marc.htm

[quote]
To dismiss the need for effective ground fighting is ignorant and naive. [/quote]

I am not dismissing the need to know what you’re doing. But any groundfighting, grappling based system should not be the base for streetfighting. You will get curbed.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
How old are the girls? I like judo because you learn to break grips and stay on your feet. More than anything, sports like Judo give you confidence, and confidence alone is very visible to predators and enough to deter people who would otherwise target you. There are also general precautions that every girl should take. Make sure they travel in groups and that a male is always present.
[/quote]

Very true.

[quote]
Also, if you ever study criminal psyc. or read interviews of rapists, there are some common themes. Rapists prefer to target woman who walk with slouched posture, wear concealing clothing, and appear to have low self-esteem. The attractive woman who is showing a lot of cleavage, wearing heels, walking with a swagger, and seems to be on the boisterous side is in less danger even though it wouldn’t seem that way. [/quote]

Really? That’s interesting. Where’d you read that?

Down Irish. We all know the last place a girl wants to go when engaged in a fight is pulling open guard. That’s a ‘win’ in the rapists mind right off the bat. Amiright?

[quote]Therizza wrote:
Down Irish. We all know the last place a girl wants to go when engaged in a fight is pulling open guard. That’s a ‘win’ in the rapists mind right off the bat. Amiright? [/quote]

I can’t help it. Another 2009 douche who got his info from some “Captain Chris” website who doesn’t want to do the research to support himself.

But yes, if a girl is on the ground, it’s damn near over. I don’t care what art that girl knows- odds are is no one in any class has ever grabbed her hair, held her head steady, and laced her with a gloveless fist to get her to shutup.

If they’re on the ground, the only recourse is to attack in the most vicious way possible, forgetting all kinds of social restrictions on normal behavior and what is normally acceptable.

As others have said, you want an art that trains with aliveness (= resistance and contact). Arts that work with aliveness clearly work. Other arts, not so much. Arts that do not spar or are “too deadly” to spar almost always sucks. You’re best off finding a martial sport. For self-defense, especially for smaller people, grappling arts are usually superior to striking arts. You don’t have to be terribly strong to pull off a choke. Nevertheless, boxing, MT or certain kinds are karate are good options.

I concur with the Judo or BJJ recommendations (or Sambo if that’s around). For kids, Judo > BJJ. Judo’s usually cheap and readily available. It’s also a great sport.

Some less common arts are also good, but hard to find: Sanda, Daido Juku (Kudo), savate.

Karate is a tricky subject. Avoid Tae Kwan Do and sport karate like the plague even though they are “sports” – they have crappy rules and McDojoism is rampant. Avoid anywhere that does not spar. Avoid places that do a significant amount of kata. Kyokushin karate is awesome, however.

[quote]Res Judicata wrote:

Avoid places that do a significant amount of kata.

[/quote]

I don’t agree with this statement. What is wrong with kata? It is in no way different than a boxer shadowboxing- and that’s the most valuable tool a boxer has.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Well, how old are your daughters? There’s a big difference between teaching a child karate under the assumption that they’ll never use it and teaching self defense to a girl who goes to college in NYC.

Honestly though, I’ll go out on a limb and say find a very good karate school- I’m partial to the Okinawan forms myself. Circular styles will help teach them to not meet force with force, and will also show them how to punch, shoot palm heel strikes, and do other things without getting them hurt.

I like judo, mainly because it will teach them to throw, and then give them an opportunity to get away. However, it is still based around sport, and still involves grappling… and I don’t like the odds when a girl is grappling with a guy, no matter how big. And I still don’t ever recommend BJJ for self defense, no matter what any asshole tells you.[/quote]

Agreed. However get them into kyokushin. It’s the more violent form of karate and has emphasis on knocking out and pushing yourself as opposed to touch-point sparring.
I would think a woman’s best weapons are her feet and legs and kyokushin has an emphasis on bare hand and feet hitting.

However i would supplement it with some boxing because the major weak point of kyokushin is the lack of face punching and if she does this from a young age it will engrain a weakness in real street fight.

In which case you say go for muay thai, which is a great martial art but as far as i know isn’t that big on escapes and dodging, which would be helpful for a woman.

Imo, kyokushin + boxing + wrestling = win.