Best Martial Art or Combat Style for Me

Hello everyone, recently I found myself getting in alot of confrontation in all kinds of place with idiots that wanted to fight me. I respect people who likes combat sports but personnaly I really don’t care about fighting and I don’t wanna fight. If I could live my life without fighting anybody I would be happy. I am cold-tempered (I really am) and I don’t seek confrontation.

What would be the best thing for me to learn that would get me out of trouble if some psycho wanted to attack me. I reasonned that I would just pierce his eyes or rip his balls or some nasty stuff but I doubt I could do it without getting some damage.

I don’t want to go around with a knife or a gun and I don’t want to spend let’s say more than 5 hours a week practicing it. (A little less than 45 min a day)

What would be the best thing to learn for me?

Ima save myself some trouble and just say Boxing. Pretty much every body in the combat forum will recomend it…although its not my first choice.

Running.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
Running.[/quote]

I was going with hill sprints…and yoga.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
What would be the best thing to learn for me?[/quote]

how to avoid confrontation

.greg.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
Hello everyone, recently I found myself getting in alot of confrontation in all kinds of place with idiots that wanted to fight me. I respect people who likes combat sports but personnaly I really don’t care about fighting and I don’t wanna fight. If I could live my life without fighting anybody I would be happy. I am cold-tempered (I really am) and I don’t seek confrontation.

What would be the best thing for me to learn that would get me out of trouble if some psycho wanted to attack me. I reasonned that I would just pierce his eyes or rip his balls or some nasty stuff but I doubt I could do it without getting some damage.

I don’t want to go around with a knife or a gun and I don’t want to spend let’s say more than 5 hours a week practicing it. (A little less than 45 min a day)

What would be the best thing to learn for me?[/quote]

1. Stop hanging out where you’ve been hanging out. Avoiding places where you are more likely to need to defend yourself is probably the simplest and most effective way to decrease your chances of needing to defend yourself.

2. Learn some good “confrontation management” skills. Many physical encounters are what we call “escalating encounters” where there is some sort of verbal dialogue, physical cues that violence is about to occur; basically there is opportunity to recognize the approaching physical violence and either defuse it (with verbal and postural self defense) or flee the scene (if possible).

3. If someone attacks you without warning, or you are unsuccessful in defusing or escaping the situation, then something like pepper spray, a taser, learning how to use less “conventional weapons” (like your car keys, the hot beverage you’re carrying in your hand, a kubuton, a pool ball/cue, basically whatever you have on or around you) and some simple, basic fighting skills (striking, some takedown defense, footwork, basic defensive skills like “shielding”). Then just practice the crap out of them.

here is a 5 step fool proof self defence plan

1. Get a pretty girlfriend/ girl that hangs out with you or something
  2. if attacked push her down
  3. yell you can have her
  4. run away.
  5. feel glorius in your noble victory and conflict resolution skills.

Learn how to shield your face from danger effectively, take up boxing classes, practice a shitload (more than 5 hours a week) and learn the body’s most vulnerable spots (liver, kidneys, solar plexus etc) so that you can floor an attacker within 2-3 strikes.

First advice is still to run like a motherfucker. Guys trying to start shit are usually not alone, and against 3-4 guys, it’s gonna be difficult even for experienced fighters.

Krav Maga. End of discussion. Krav Maga - Wikipedia

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

1. Stop hanging out where you’ve been hanging out. Avoiding places where you are more likely to need to defend yourself is probably the simplest and most effective way to decrease your chances of needing to defend yourself.

2. Learn some good “confrontation management” skills. Many physical encounters are what we call “escalating encounters” where there is some sort of verbal dialogue, physical cues that violence is about to occur; basically there is opportunity to recognize the approaching physical violence and either defuse it (with verbal and postural self defense) or flee the scene (if possible).

3. If someone attacks you without warning, or you are unsuccessful in defusing or escaping the situation, then something like pepper spray, a taser, learning how to use less “conventional weapons” (like your car keys, the hot beverage you’re carrying in your hand, a kubuton, a pool ball/cue, basically whatever you have on or around you) and some simple, basic fighting skills (striking, some takedown defense, footwork, basic defensive skills like “shielding”). Then just practice the crap out of them. [/quote]

I agree. OP sounds like he’s not really interested in learning a style per se… which means that recommending a style would be kind of goofy.

Find someone to show you how to punch straight. Maybe drill yourself on it a bit… and then follow sento’s advice.

You’ll just get your ass kicked and waste money joining a class if your heart isn’t in it.

The fact that you’re contemplating what to do in a confrontation means that you’ve got the instinct somewhere… deep down in places you don’t tell people out loud. I think that’s awesome.

Study grappling. Judo, Jiu-jitsu, sambo, CQC, etc. I got into that stuff back in college and loved it.

Grappling will get you out of a LOT of tough situations, plus you won’t find yourself in any lawsuits, b/c you’re not drawing blood.

The process of training and learning is very humbling. Ironically, once you start training regularly, you’ll start noticing that you are in very stable frame of mind and totally in control of your thoughts and actions.

Ultimately it teaches you a respect for the body, how to manipulate your opponents body weight to your advantage and it’s excellent for cardiovascular conditioning.

I had to give that stuff up when I started medical school, but I’ll be back in the game before too long. I hope.

In strength,

Chiraag Gangahar

[quote]shrinkthebiscuit wrote:
The fact that you’re contemplating what to do in a confrontation means that you’ve got the instinct somewhere… deep down in places you don’t tell people out loud. I think that’s awesome.

Study grappling. Judo, Jiu-jitsu, sambo, CQC, etc. I got into that stuff back in college and loved it.

Grappling will get you out of a LOT of tough situations, plus you won’t find yourself in any lawsuits, b/c you’re not drawing blood.

The process of training and learning is very humbling. Ironically, once you start training regularly, you’ll start noticing that you are in very stable frame of mind and totally in control of your thoughts and actions.

Ultimately it teaches you a respect for the body, how to manipulate your opponents body weight to your advantage and it’s excellent for cardiovascular conditioning.

I had to give that stuff up when I started medical school, but I’ll be back in the game before too long. I hope.

In strength,

Chiraag Gangahar[/quote]

Not gonna discourage him from learning grappling by any means, but you’ve gotta remember that

1. he said he doesn’t want to train any more than 5 hours a week

2. grappling in a real fight/on pavement or some other hard surface is a very different animal than grappling on a mat with no strikes, without “illegal” tactics like weapons, multiple opponents, etc…, and against other grapplers.

Most people do not know how to fall, and if you toss someone with a hip throw, or pick them up with a double leg and slam them into the ground (and don’t smash your knee cap in the process of taking a shot), they’re very likely to get seriously injured. Keep in mind that the majority of lethal head injuries occur from the victim’s head colliding with the pavement/ground rather than a punch/blow to the head (at least in unarmed combat).

I honestly think the OP is better off sticking to avoidance and aversion and learning some basic striking and defensive skills (and maybe throw in some takedown defense or grounded defense in case he either winds up on the ground or against someone who tries to take him down) than he is spending his time training grappling specifically.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Not gonna discourage him from learning grappling by any means, but you’ve gotta remember that

1. he said he doesn’t want to train any more than 5 hours a week

2. grappling in a real fight/on pavement or some other hard surface is a very different animal than grappling on a mat with no strikes, without “illegal” tactics like weapons, multiple opponents, etc…, and against other grapplers.

Most people do not know how to fall, and if you toss someone with a hip throw, or pick them up with a double leg and slam them into the ground (and don’t smash your knee cap in the process of taking a shot), they’re very likely to get seriously injured. Keep in mind that the majority of lethal head injuries occur from the victim’s head colliding with the pavement/ground rather than a punch/blow to the head (at least in unarmed combat).

I honestly think the OP is better off sticking to avoidance and aversion and learning some basic striking and defensive skills (and maybe throw in some takedown defense or grounded defense in case he either winds up on the ground or against someone who tries to take him down) than he is spending his time training grappling specifically.

[/quote]

There’s no question that this is true. This guy doesn’t have the desire to learn a fighting art, and besides that, grappling’s “street effectiveness” is vastly overrated to begin with.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
Running.[/quote]

I 100% agree.

ill go on a limb and say this and others who suggest avoidance is the best trained guys and are kicking you the real deal.

I see what you’re saying, lucidfuel and Sento.

45 minutes a day is not enough time to learn anything on your own. You need a trainer of sorts. If you arent willing to do that, you need to research situational awareness and run fast.

[quote]almightyfod wrote:
Krav Maga. End of discussion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga[/quote]

I have to agree 100% on this one

[quote]kravman6196 wrote:

[quote]almightyfod wrote:
Krav Maga. End of discussion. Krav Maga - Wikipedia [/quote] [/quote]

I have to agree 100% on this one[/quote]

With a name like that? Color me shocked.

immediatly take off all your clothes. then poop yourself and smear it on your body

no one wants to fight a naked man covered in his own feces

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
immediatly take off all your clothes. then poop yourself and smear it on your body

no one wants to fight a naked man covered in his own feces[/quote]

LMFAO , ew. I would by like awe man. wtf. (thinking of gone in 60 seconds. when the dog poops.)