Best Major for Becoming a Physiatrist?

I’ve recently decided that I want to be a physician and specialize in physiatry (physical medicine and rehabilitation). Intuitively it seems that kinesiology would be the ideal undergrad degree for this pursuit, but my school doesn’t have a program and there aren’t really any good ones in my state anyay so I’ve got to go with something different. Here’s what I have narrowed it down to:

bioengineering
biology with a physiology option
biochemistry
physics
mechanical engineering

I could also earn a minor and possibly even double major if the degrees are closely related enough.

Alternatively, I could take out an enourmous student loan on the order of $25K/yr and study kinesiology at an out of state institution.

Thoughts?

your questions beget questions - what aspect of phys medicine do you want to go into? your opportunities range from pure rehab to prostehics. I say go for a biochemistry degree and get yourself invovled with teh NSCA and ISSn in order to get the kinesiolog you wish to learn.

[quote]dougkalman wrote:
your questions beget questions - what aspect of phys medicine do you want to go into? your opportunities range from pure rehab to prostehics. I say go for a biochemistry degree and get yourself invovled with teh NSCA and ISSn in order to get the kinesiolog you wish to learn.[/quote]

I’m mostly interested in diagnosis and treatment of injuries. What’s ISSN? Did you mean ISSA?