Best Lifts to Incrase Trap Size

To preface I already do a lot of pulling work because I focus primarily on the oly lifts, but I want to increase the size of my traps. I rarely do any kind of hypertrophy work and am curious what body builders think are the most effective movements for building traps besides barbell shrugs. Thanks in advance.

Rackpulls.

Barbell shrugs.

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Barbell shrugs.[/quote]

There are other movements for traps?

I like the trap bar shrug. Mostly because I don’t have a barbell.

ya?

we have a seated/standing machine that’s pretty cool. (we as in the gym, lol)

Well, personally nothing wrecks mine like full ROM Deads.

Next would be Rack pulls (with or without shrug at top.)

Then Diamond-bar Deads.

Then Shrugs… I preffer BB over DB.

Quick Hijack i’ve noticed that some people have the ability to make their traps pop and flare out like nerf balls on both sides of their heads while other people (ME) seem to have no control in popping/flaring them out i can’t felx them yet i life 2x as much as these kids that can flex their traps…

Any special technique to flare out traps??? OR can some people simply not do it.

[quote]LilDaDDyDreW wrote:
Quick Hijack i’ve noticed that some people have the ability to make their traps pop and flare out like nerf balls on both sides of their heads while other people (ME) seem to have no control in popping/flaring them out i can’t felx them yet i life 2x as much as these kids that can flex their traps…

Any special technique to flare out traps??? OR can some people simply not do it. [/quote]

I’m not sure if I’m getting your question correctly, but I learned to ‘pop’ and ‘flare’ my traps through years of rounded-shoulder syndrome. If your posture is good and clean, your traps shouldn’t be doing either of these - I reckon.

Again, not sure if I’m understanding correctly. Pics?

i like snatch grip DL’s with a slight shrug for speed and cleans from a hang for traps rather than conventional shrugs…just my 2 cents

[quote]SSC wrote:
LilDaDDyDreW wrote:

Any special technique to flare out traps??? OR can some people simply not do it.

I’m not sure if I’m getting your question correctly, but I learned to ‘pop’ and ‘flare’ my traps through years of rounded-shoulder syndrome. If your posture is good and clean, your traps shouldn’t be doing either of these - I reckon.

Again, not sure if I’m understanding correctly. Pics?[/quote]

Flaring/Popping/Flexing Traps aka making them puff up when you want. IT is not a bad thing I want to be able to do this but I seem to not be able too,
Imgur

rannnnnndom ass picture just searched it on yahoo. but that is a trap flex I am unable to flare them up like the kid in the pic.

Any tips for getting the trap flex down?!?! fuck I hate being misunderstood.

Power shrugs, heavy deadlifts, cleans.

My traps are big for my size from deadlifts alone.

Hang cleans are great for building trap size, among other things.

I’ll do my best to describe it. You first raise your upper arms and while doing do, flare/flex your lats. Then try to push up with your lats and shoulder blades. Viola!

[quote]LilDaDDyDreW wrote:
SSC wrote:
LilDaDDyDreW wrote:

Again, not sure if I’m understanding correctly. Pics?

Flaring/Popping/Flexing Traps aka making them puff up when you want. IT is not a bad thing I want to be able to do this but I seem to not be able too,
Imgur

rannnnnndom ass picture just searched it on yahoo. but that is a trap flex I am unable to flare them up like the kid in the pic.

Any tips for getting the trap flex down?!?! fuck I hate being misunderstood.

[/quote]

Try rolling your shoulders forward and take it from there.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
I’ll do my best to describe it. You first raise your upper arms and while doing do, flare/flex your lats. Then try to push up with your lats and shoulder blades. Viola! [/quote]

OH SHIIIT I got my right one flexxing nice thank you for the advice I will work on the flex thank you and this thread is gay and should be in beginners. Dont want to come off as rude but cmon.

What i’ve been doing lately and seeing incredible improvement.

Monday Shoulders/Traps

For traps: Diamond Bar Shrugs, Power Shrugs with bar bell, and Dip shrugs. (basically doing a shrug on the dip press bar.)

then friday I do Back/Traps

Traps: Diamond Bar Shrugs, Rack Pulls with shrug at top, and Deads.

if your doing deads, rack pulls then your traps should be fine.

One of the easiest muscles to hypertrophy, if your having trouble with them …

EAT MORE FOOD

If you focus on Oly work and want to increase the size of your traps it sounds like you just need to eat for size. Shrugs are nice and upright row is good, but I’ve found nothing will increase your traps like tons of snatches and cleans.

The only other thing I can think of cable row, but pull your shoulders back either slow/ or twice before starting the row then squeeze at the top.

Not that my traps are impressive, but I feel the most soreness in my traps doing deads. Full ass deads kill my traps, and back, and hams, and pretty much are the best lift I ever decided to put into my workouts. Wouldn’t leave home on Sundays without 'em.

Would wearing a weighted vest, with the weight sitting mostly on the traps, increase trap strength/size at all?

I ask only because my traps are sore as hell while I wear the thing, but that’s probably because they’re being squished.