Best IF Protocol?

[quote]BRINK429 wrote:
I was Thinking of using the 16/8 protocol. But what do your macros look like during your feeds?[/quote]

That’s a useful tool that has a couple of different macro splits. I think the most common for “fat loss” is 1.5g protein / LB lean body mass, with the rest of the calories being split as 50/50 on rest days and 75/25 (carbs/fat) on workout days.

Love IF mine are about 15/9 just how my day works out. It fits nice. But carbs are restricted to 3hrs post workout which is how i finish my night/day. Been working fantastic IMO. Hitting PRs workouts great. Either getting leaner or adding muscle with little fat gain I cant really tell which. All i know is new veins are coming out and muscles look bigger.

[quote]John Romaniello wrote:
^^not just calorie control. There’s a hormonal component as well; specifically minimizing insulin and increasing the period of growth hormone secretion.
[/quote]

I understand that it can be useful for cutting and possibly “recomping,” but I guess I’m just going to have to keep myself in the “agnostic-to-skeptical” category until there’s someone who actually puts on a lot of mass while doing this. Maybe I’ll come back in a year and Ryan will be a lean 230lbs. It just seems like the traditional “eat a lot throughout the day” is so tried-and-true that restricting to a window doesn’t seem like a good idea for actually gaining weight.

Not to say that it won’t work for a while, but I’m just thinking of someone who wants to become unusually large/muscular.

Are you allowed to cosume fibre during the fasting period?

I think I’ll give IF a go when I go on a diet during the summer. Every morning I consume a mixture of ground flax, pysillium husk (no sweetner), tsp of cinnamon and tsp of tumeric. Sometimes I also add a scoop of green drink.

Does that count as breaking the fast?

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

[quote]BRINK429 wrote:
I was Thinking of using the 16/8 protocol. But what do your macros look like during your feeds?[/quote]

That’s a useful tool that has a couple of different macro splits. I think the most common for “fat loss” is 1.5g protein / LB lean body mass, with the rest of the calories being split as 50/50 on rest days and 75/25 (carbs/fat) on workout days.[/quote]

that seems pretty simple. after looking at all the different methods, 16/8 looked like the best beginner method. im really excited to try it :slight_smile:

im still a little confused on the ammount of times fasted during a week. do you guys typically fast everyday? or do you usually give yourself a day off?

Do 16/8 everyday for a week. My first week was a struggle but after the first week I never have any hunger issues before the 16 hour fast and actually became much more productive during the fasting hours.

I’ve been IFing in one form or another for just about 2 years. I started out following the Leangains approach, which over time naturally evolved into something closer to the Warrior Diet. I say naturally evolved because over time I grew more comfortable increasing the fasting period without experiencing crazy hunger pangs or experiencing any decrease in training performance. Just kinda happened. And that’s what I recommend to people toying with the idea of IFing: start with a shorter fasting window and increase it as you adapt.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
I’m a strong proponent of IF. Even if you only restrict/IF the carbs, you’ll see big changes, due to the insulin sensitivity thing.

I basically eat carbs in a 3 hour window each day (pre-workout). Fat is restricted to a 5 hour window (pre workout and a little PWO) and protein is only partially restricted, since I pulse leucine and aminos.

BBB[/quote]

I’m assuming you work-out later in the evening then if you’re restricted that much PWO, is that right? What is your fat to carb intake ratio?

I think I’ve been getting too much fat lately…