T Nation

Best Horror Movies Thread

Well with Halloween not far away it's time to break out the horror movies! Below is a list of my favorite ones. Please feel free to recommend some of your favorites!

Jaws (1975)

The Omen (1976)

Halloween (1978)

Omen II:Damien (1978)

Alien (1979)

Tourist Trap (1979)

When a Stranger Calls (1979)

The Shining (1980)

Evil Dead (1981)

Omen III: The Final Conflict (1981)

Children of the Corn (1984)

Silver Bullet (1985)

Aliens (1986)

The Hitcher (1986)

Evil Dead II (1987)

The Lost Boys (1987)

The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)

They Live (1988)

It (1990) (TV)

Jacob's Ladder (1990)

Misery (1990)

Tremors (1990)

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Dead Alive (1992)
Note: Comedy Horror

In the Mouth of Madness (1995)

Scream (1996)

Breakdown (1997)

Final Destination (2000)

Donnie Darko (2001)

Joy Ride (2001)

28 Days Later... (2002)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
Note: Remake Version

Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Note: Remake Version

Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Note: Comedy Horror

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

The Skeleton Key (2005)

Grindhouse: Death Proof (2007)

There you go! Am I missing out on any gems?

I have a list of faves, but the one that leads the pack for me is "The Descent".
Something about that film just shook me to the core. The soundtrack is a masterpiece and fits so well with the visuals, it just gets under your skin.

Slither.

This is my Halloween movie.

Bad Santa is my Christmas movie.

I've heard about this but haven't been able to find it for rent. Probably have to order it from Amazon.

the descent is awesome also because it has an all-female cast who aint a bunch of bimbos (but are hot) who do caving and shit and are generally kewl

Audition
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
The Shining
Psycho

My #1 all time is Re-Animator, just because I love that movie like an old blanket.

So many to mention, but off the top of my head:
Jacobs Ladder
Aftermath (It's more of a short film, but it's fucking crazy)
The Burning
House
Ilsa She-Wolf of the SS
Tokyo Gore Police (cause it's fun)
Inside
Nekromantik 1 and 2
Return of the Living Dead
Frontiers
Taxidermia
Grotesque
Seed
The entire 4-part Blind Dead series. (I know they're corny, but I like them.)
Salo

And if you guys want a real mind-fuck watch 'Tetsuo the Iron Man' This movie is just so fucking weird that it's scary.

Cannibal Holocaust
Bad Taste
The Exorcist (Sorry if already posted)
Evil Dead
Saved by the Bell-The College Years

Event Horizon

I'm generally not a fan of horror (though there are exceptions), but since most of you have already listed most of the good ones (or will shortly), I'll just post an obscure Swedish flick that most of you probably haven't seen. It's called Let the Right One In. It's got a 8.5 rating on Metacritic and 97% freshness on Rotten Tomatoes, for those who are into that kind of thing.

Yes, it is a vampire movie. Yes, the protagonist is a quiet preteen who gets bullied. Yes, it's about the relationship that builds between him and the vampire. No, it isn't a romance. No, it isn't just a Scandinavian Twilight. Believe me, you'd be a fool to dismiss it as just another attempt to cash in on the current vampire craze.

It's not a horror movie so much as a brooding character study and a drama, but it still deserves mention (probably good as a rental with a date), especially if horror-comedies are going to be listed.

Oh, and while I'm posting foreign horror movies, check this one out too:

Neither of the trailers really do the movies justice.

x3 on The Descent, fucking incredible movie. I'm also a big fan of Serpent and the Rainbow which was already mentioned. I know this is going to sound silly, but I also really liked 30 Days of Night: the scene with the ax at the end is too good.

Best....thread...ever.

x4

Just found out about Begotten. To be honest I don't have the cojones to watch this fucking thing.

Has anyone seen it?

Honestly "The Begotten" looks horrifyingly boring but one of the critics quotes "Makes 'Eraserhead' look like 'Ernest saves Christmas'" is fan-fucking-tastic.

Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses,prequel to The Devil's Rejects.

I am intrigued, but I hate trailers like that. I watched the entire trailer and still have no fucking clue what that movie is about.

there's a part 2 out that is good too.

I've never seen Donnie Darko, gonna have to check that one out. I love horror movies. Trying to get the wife to watch Arachnophobia, no go so far.

Any mention of Killer Klowns from Outer Space yet?

tremors is my all-time fave movie :smiley:

Skeleton Key was an awful movie. So much promise, so much suck.

Trick or Treat was an ok one.

The Strangers had a few awesome scary parts, but again overall suck movie

30 Days of Night one of the best vampire movies in a long time

no mention of Nightmare on Elm Street?