T Nation

Best Green Tea

I use Tazo’s Zen Green Tea. I don’t know if it’s the best, but I love the taste. What do you all drink?

I normally grind and brew my own organic white tea, then add a splash of juice to give it a little more zip. Actually, combining tea with juice helps to increase the polyphenol absorption rate. The tea doesn’t get oxidized in the gut before it has a chance to be absorbed. There’s nothing wrong with Tazo, it’s all good.

DJ

I drink all kinds of tea, but my favorite is probably a good pu-erh. The ‘iron silk’ from teasource packs a buzz that isn’t far off from amphetamine, I shit you not. There are many kinds though and not all of them are that strong.

http://www.teasource.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TeaSource&Category_Code=Puerh

If you are going green, IMO Japanese is the best. They seem to take the most care for quality.

I buy Special Gunpowder from the Chinese market nearby, it’s whole dried leaves in a box.

I usualy get a few selections of green, white, red, and oolong from Special Teas or Adagio.

I have been drinking Sencha shot Japanese Green Tea for a while now. It’s completely unsweetened and in a little steel can. I love the taste and it has a nice little zip to it.

[quote]martyh wrote:
I buy Special Gunpowder from the Chinese market nearby, it’s whole dried leaves in a box.[/quote]

My dad works with a guy who’s family owns a green tea plantation, and we get free boxes of dried leaves from him.

According to him, that’s the only way to go, because in the tea bags they grind up dust and branches and all sorts of bad things. Apparently any real Korean won’t drink tea unless they see the leaves first.

gunpowder is not “whole dried leaves” but rolled leaves…looks like small pellets; i assume this is what you’re talking about. i buy the same stuff.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
gunpowder is not “whole dried leaves” but rolled leaves…looks like small pellets; i assume this is what you’re talking about. i buy the same stuff.[/quote]

Technically they’re whole dried leaves, which are then rolled up. Still whole leaves. That’s what I’m talking about anyway, I don’t know about him.

Iron Kuan Yin by TenRen Tea

and white tea (leaves) by foochow i think is the brand…

anyone use a tea press? read John Berdardi’s latest article on tea. Said that was the best way to go. Where do u find high quality green tea for a tea press? hell…i don;t even have a tea press! Much less any gunpowder…lol…

I love the Tea of Republic Brand and am an admitted white-tea elitist (Ill drink other variations of tea, but white tea is where its at!)

Bulk, imported tea is the way to go. Tea aficionados agree, and most say the best are non-organics. All you still using bags and steeping it in boiling water for five minutes have not had “real” tea.

BTW, there’s a HUGE difference between Japanese and Chinese greens. I myself love a good Sencha.

you have not had green tea until you try it loose leaf.

my personal favorite is genmaicha

Any of you white-tea fiends? I thought this was quite intresting and only supports my personal preference to drink white tea preferentially over green tea (To me for tastewise, white tea has got it going on! Green tea, not so much… although I will drink it for its health benefits)

Links

Any kind of green tea is good, screwed me up though… I ended up getting fully body shaking from it when i tried to sleep :frowning:

[quote]abcd1234 wrote:
Bulk, imported tea is the way to go. Tea aficionados agree, and most say the best are non-organics. All you still using bags and steeping it in boiling water for five minutes have not had “real” tea.

BTW, there’s a HUGE difference between Japanese and Chinese greens. I myself love a good Sencha. [/quote]

Yes I’m still steeping…lol…

how and where do you get loose leaf tea? use a tea press for it i assume?

Why such the preference for white tea? I thought green tea was the best for you?

I generally pass on green tea because I�??m a caffeine junkie. I go for about four cups of coffee before noon, and then do black and oolong tea in the afternoons with white tea for a little pick-me-up here and there.

I haven’t yet converted to loose tea, even though I’ve heard that it tastes better, and is probably better for you (contains more antioxidants if IIRC).

We’ve been drinking Matcha green tea from Costco, and I thought its pretty good. You guys are starting to convince me on loose tea. Can loose tea be found in like local health food stores?

-Matt

I get my jasmine green tea in bulk from the Chinese wholesalers down the road from my flat. If I’m feeling like something a bit more fancy I’m a big fan of the London Tea Company:

http://www.londontea.co.uk/tea_gourmet.html

I really need to get me some of that raspberry and chilli tea.