Best for Mass

I was working out with my cousin who I would consider to be pretty big (6’3" 250lbs). He told me the best way to gain size in the gym, not including diet, it to always lift heavy as you can and constantly strive to lift heavier. I have read a bunch of articles that say less weight and more reps is better. I just want some opinions from people with experance in this topic, thanks.

please show me an article where a big guy tells you that lifting heavy weights is not good for getting bigger

this is only a part of what makes you grow. there is a reason bodybuilders are the most muscular mofos on the planet, while generally weaker than powerlifters.

if you find yourself constantly working in th range of 1-3 reps you should probably take up powerlifting.

to mix the 2 together check out the thread on mike o’hearn power bodybuilding , westside or 5/3/1 with BB template.

and yes you will grow by lifting heavier over time, ain’t no rocket science

I’m not saying there are articles the say heavy weights don’t make you bigger, there are a bunch that say more reps are better though. My cousin said to aim for 6-8 reps as heavy as you can. The way I have been trying lately is 6-8 reps with 6-8 sets for each lit so I am still getting quite a few reps just with heavier weights.

sounds good.

do that.

Yes if you won’t lift heavier weights you’re not gonna get much bigger. Without progressive overload you will soon hit a plateau. Maybe top pro bodybuilders can do pumping sets with ropes and light weight but they are already big. It depends on bodyparts and individuals also. For example I wouldn’t recommend doing heavy weights with low reps for calves, at least that’s what works for me.

I think there is a place for both styles, in both sports.

i agree. Doing all is part of the recipe. Human muscle tissue is very complex and you may have to put it under all kinds of various stress for growth. Spend some time on Heavy weight with low reps but also spend some time doing medium weights with more reps. I really support the IBB and Superhero programs here at T-Nation because they incorporate the two philosphies within one training session.

6-8 sets / lift ? Hope you’re not doing too many exercises / bodypart…

you could try following one of t-nations programs, usually people have no idea how to make their own programs or even listen to their body, if your looking to gain alot of mass check out the HP MASS articles and see if it is something you are interested in

you could try following one of t-nations programs, usually people have no idea how to make their own programs or even listen to their body, if your looking to gain alot of mass check out the HP MASS articles and see if it is something you are interested in

When you find yourself questioning whether to use use low weights with high reps or high reps with light weights consider the ideal of using high weight and high reps

[quote]ElevenMag wrote:
When you find yourself questioning whether to use use low weights with high reps or high reps with light weights consider the ideal of using high weight and high reps[/quote]

bingo

That’s basically what I have been doing… I guess I will stick with it for a while and see how it goes? Also zraw I don’t completely what a lot of people say about over training, I think it takes a lot more than people think it does…

Eat more calories than you are eating now. The best way to gain weight is to eat more… it’s also going to be hard to gain “lean mass” rather than just mass, but it can be done. Just up your calorie intake, and protein intake…no real mysteries when it comes to gaining weight.

At the end of the day progression is what matters much more so than reps. Dont get caught up in rep ranges. This is where I lost the most amount of time. Reading crap about 5x5, 10x3 etc. Experiment and find a rep range that feels best to you then increase the weight you are using for the same amount of reps over time. You will grow.

Look at Max-OT. Heavy weight in the 4-8 range.

Lift the heaviest weight the fastest you can - keeping form in check. Works for most things. The rep range needs to vary so mix it up.