Best Football Player Ever?

The choice is between:

Barry Sanders
or
Jerry Rice

Barry Sanders, he was incredible despite rarely having talented personnel around him.

Jim Brown

Why is the choice between Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice?

Jerry Rice? He is out of any discussion after he admitted to using stickem.

If I had the choice to pick any player in the history of the nfl, it would be very hard for me to pass up John Elway.

Gale Sayers

[quote]mbdix wrote:
If I had the choice to pick any player in the history of the nfl, it would be very hard for me to pass up John Elway. [/quote]

O_o

Great player. Lost a bunch of Super Bowls and couldn’t win until Terrell Davis showed up.

Elway was fucking awesome.

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Elway was fucking awesome.[/quote]

If he had a child with sarah jessica parker i bet it would win the triple crown.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
If I had the choice to pick any player in the history of the nfl, it would be very hard for me to pass up John Elway. [/quote]

O_o

Great player. Lost a bunch of Super Bowls and couldn’t win until Terrell Davis showed up. [/quote]

Reallllllly not a fan of the RINGZZ argument. So much stuff outside of a QBs control factors in. If the Seahawks give it to Marshawn at the end of the game, we’re talking about Clutch Russell Wilson and his back to back titles while also saying “Man, Brady is great, but he’s lost his last three Super Bowls, are we sure he is really CLUTCH? Is Tom Brady still an ELITE quarterback in today’s NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE?” - and that’s all because of a play call out of their control (and if you watch that play unfold, it’s pretty hard to blame Wilson for the INT because a quarter-second before he released the ball it looked perfect).

Alternatively, if two different Giants WRs don’t make two INSANE catches, we’re talking about Brady with SIX rings, and Eli having zero.

So that’s one reason I dislike any RINGZ reference (in football; anyway. Basketball is a little different because one guy can exercise a lot more control over games)

Besides, why should it matter whether a guy won SB’s at the end of his career instead of the beginning?

Until the Pats won this Super Bowl and ruined the exercise, one cool juxtaposition was to imagine Tom Brady’s career from 2013-2001 unfolding in reverse. You’d have him losing a SB in his third season, then again in his seventh, and the way guys are judged these days (we live in a world where Bengals fans want to get rid of a QB that’s taken them to the playoffs four straight seasons after two decades of general suckiness) it’s not hard to imagine he’d have been facing the same “can’t win the big one” labels that Peyton Mannig has (unfairly) dealt with his entire career. Then he’d win 3 in 4 years to end his career and we’d say “yeah, Brady was a great player, but he never won it all until the end of his career when he had a great defense.”

Note: I tend to be extra defensive of players in general because I played the game for a long time and it’s fucking hard to be ANY good at it, and it always pisses me off to hear anyone saying someone “sucks” or “I could do that” - I still remember this punk ass kid when I was a freshman in college talking all kinds I trash about Chad Pennington, saying Pennington was a pussy and he’d kick his ass (the kid was probably a buck 40; Pennington was 6-3 and 225 and used to staring down NFL pass rushers).

Anyways. So yeah, I defend all players. /thread jack

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Elway was fucking stud.[/quote]

If he had a child with sarah jessica parker i bet it would win the triple crown. [/quote]

Haha. I fixed my part of the quote for you.

Eh, It would be too hard because this era in football right now is completely different than how it was say 15-20+ years ago. The league is too dependent on QBs these days which in my opinion, takes away from the game and the rest of the team.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

O_o

Great player. Lost a bunch of Super Bowls and couldn’t win until Terrell Davis showed up. [/quote]

Reallllllly not a fan of the RINGZZ argument. So much stuff outside of a QBs control factors in. If the Seahawks give it to Marshawn at the end of the game, we’re talking about Clutch Russell Wilson and his back to back titles while also saying “Man, Brady is great, but he’s lost his last three Super Bowls, are we sure he is really CLUTCH? Is Tom Brady still an ELITE quarterback in today’s NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE?” - and that’s all because of a play call out of their control (and if you watch that play unfold, it’s pretty hard to blame Wilson for the INT because a quarter-second before he released the ball it looked perfect).

Alternatively, if two different Giants WRs don’t make two INSANE catches, we’re talking about Brady with SIX rings, and Eli having zero.

So that’s one reason I dislike any RINGZ reference (in football; anyway. Basketball is a little different because one guy can exercise a lot more control over games)

Besides, why should it matter whether a guy won SB’s at the end of his career instead of the beginning?

Until the Pats won this Super Bowl and ruined the exercise, one cool juxtaposition was to imagine Tom Brady’s career from 2013-2001 unfolding in reverse. You’d have him losing a SB in his third season, then again in his seventh, and the way guys are judged these days (we live in a world where Bengals fans want to get rid of a QB that’s taken them to the playoffs four straight seasons after two decades of general suckiness) it’s not hard to imagine he’d have been facing the same “can’t win the big one” labels that Peyton Mannig has (unfairly) dealt with his entire career. Then he’d win 3 in 4 years to end his career and we’d say “yeah, Brady was a great player, but he never won it all until the end of his career when he had a great defense.”

Note: I tend to be extra defensive of players in general because I played the game for a long time and it’s fucking hard to be ANY good at it, and it always pisses me off to hear anyone saying someone “sucks” or “I could do that” - I still remember this punk ass kid when I was a freshman in college talking all kinds I trash about Chad Pennington, saying Pennington was a pussy and he’d kick his ass (the kid was probably a buck 40; Pennington was 6-3 and 225 and used to staring down NFL pass rushers).

Anyways. So yeah, I defend all players. /thread jack [/quote]

I also don’t typically like the rings argument, but Elway doesn’t have the numbers to be the best qb ever either. I was just pointing out that it wasn’t Elway that took them over the hump, it was Davis.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Eh, It would be too hard because this era in football right now is completely different than how it was say 15-20+ years ago. The league is too dependent on QBs these days which in my opinion, takes away from the game and the rest of the team. [/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Elway was fucking awesome.[/quote]

If he had a child with sarah jessica parker i bet it would win the triple crown. [/quote]
HAHAHAHAHA

to me they are hands down the 2 best players ever. I personally like sanders no talent rice had one of the best coaches ever, and also joe Montana and steve young throwing to him.

I think the rings argument is somewhat important, but only with quarterbacks. Peyton has clearly been a regular season stat monster who chokes in the postseason.

The reason I say rings are only part of it is that by that logic terry bradshaw is one of the greatest. If those 70’s steelers had roger staubach as a quarterback they would have won 7 or 8 super bowls. Bradshaw is garbage

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

O_o

Anyways. So yeah, I defend all players. /thread jack [/quote]

I also don’t typically like the rings argument, but Elway doesn’t have the numbers to be the best qb ever either. I was just pointing out that it wasn’t Elway that took them over the hump, it was Davis. [/quote]

That’s definitely fair. Elway was not the best passer in the league probably at any point in his career.