Best Foods for Gaining Weight

hey, im tryin my best to gain as much weight as possible before football season starts. I was wondering what r the best foods to gain weight and i was thinking about starting a food and sleep log… how dow i go about doing that???

It’s not so much the best foods for gaining weight that you’re looking for. I could tell you that peanut butter was good for gaining weight, but if you ate 2 tbsp of peanut butter along with a measley little diet, it wouldn’t do much for you.

Gaining weight is a simple matter of increasing calories beyond what your body consumes in a given day. If you aren’t already, you should be eating 6x a day. You should eat lots of protein from eggwhites, lean beef, chicken breast, fish, steak, turkey breast, cottage cheese, etc.

Fats are an important way to add calories also. You can take 2 shots (in a shot glass) of olive or flax oil, with some of your meals and that will give you a big caloric boost. Use the search function and look up “Bulking Tips for Newbies”. There are a lot of tips in that thread.

Obviously you don’t want to eat a doughnut with every meal though. Two words come to mind… “Healthy” or “Clean” and “Quantity”

You want to be eating a lot of food (not just amount, calories are what counts) but it has to be good. Lean Beef, Chicken, Eggs (yes,the yolks too), whole wheats, oats… yadda yadds. You get the picture.

when gaining weight you want to eat what ever you want as much as you want whenever you want. then go from there. gradually modify what needs to be modified. do you need to eat more, less, add some fruits, drop some fruits, etc.?

whole milk and olive oil are cheap, are “healthy” for some people, and easy to put a ton of cals down with.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Obviously you don’t want to eat a doughnut with every meal though. Two words come to mind… “Healthy” or “Clean” and “Quantity”

You want to be eating a lot of food (not just amount, calories are what counts) but it has to be good. Lean Beef, Chicken, Eggs (yes,the yolks too), whole wheats, oats… yadda yadds. You get the picture.[/quote]

wrong. when gaining lean mass you want to gain total mass. if donuts and “unclean” (who made that word up, anyway) foods are easier to get more cals with then they’re what will give more total mass. and more lean mass.

dont be fooled by those who think that certain foods will give more lean gains than fat gains and vise versa. there is very little (more like none) evidence for this. assuming that adquate protein is in place, cals can come from anywhere and you’ll either gain or lose weight based on calorie surplus or deficit.

Hmm… We obviously have different ideas about nutrition, however your avitar suggest that you are a competing body builder and that tells me you know a thing or two about composition. I however am just doing this for fun and only know what works for me.

Personally, if I eat fish and chips, doughnuts, and candy bars all day (given proper protein intake) i know I am sure as hell going to get fat.

What are your ideas on eating? Do you think that given proper protein intake, the other food doesnt really matter? If thats the case, i might just eat a few more cheat meals!

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Hmm… We obviously have different ideas about nutrition, however your avitar suggest that you are a competing body builder and that tells me you know a thing or two about composition. I however am just doing this for fun and only know what works for me.

Personally, if I eat fish and chips, doughnuts, and candy bars all day (given proper protein intake) i know I am sure as hell going to get fat.

What are your ideas on eating? Do you think that given proper protein intake, the other food doesnt really matter? If thats the case, i might just eat a few more cheat meals![/quote]

Eat 8 meals a day, clean foods which will replenish your body with nutrients, 3 shakes, 5 food meals, plus have a post workout shake with 800-1000 calories, if you cant eat enough calories why not get a high calorie liquid meal in after you train.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

What are your ideas on eating? Do you think that given proper protein intake, the other food doesnt really matter? If thats the case, i might just eat a few more cheat meals![/quote]

I personally feel that “unclean” foods aren’t all that bad when trying to gain lean mass.

However, this doesn’t mean doughnuts and candybars, as their macronutrient profile is pathetic (mostly fats and simple sugars).

You could grab a burguer, some pizza, and a chocolate milkshake instead: there you’ve got “unclean” foods that actually have lots of nutrients (including protein) and help you build mass faster.

just my 2 cents.

As to finding things via the search function, it works for me neither in Firefox nor in Explorer.

Add two gallons of milk to what you are already eating. Drink lots of water so you do not get constipated.

wufwugy: Please tell me you avatar is not an actual photo of yourself.

Little chocolate donuts have been on my training table for years

[quote]Miserere wrote:
wufwugy: Please tell me you avatar is not an actual photo of yourself.[/quote]

I thought that pic was as gay as a pink christmas tree. If it is him…well glad to see your in shape but, DAMN! There has to be a better pic of yourself somewhere!

I’m sure its just a random pic though. I hope.

rofflelamow@my avatar!

i love that shit! no that’s not a pic of me. it does happen to be the funniest picture i’ve ever seen though. you’d hafta see that guy posing next to the couple other guys on stage (much leaner and they know how to pose) to get the full effect. i have laughed for hours without end just looking at the couple pictures of this guy.

[quote]wufwugy wrote:
rofflelamow@my avatar!

i love that shit! no that’s not a pic of me. it does happen to be the funniest picture i’ve ever seen though. you’d hafta see that guy posing next to the couple other guys on stage (much leaner and they know how to pose) to get the full effect. i have laughed for hours without end just looking at the couple pictures of this guy.[/quote]

What’s funnier is some people actually giving compliments.

[quote]tall tom wrote:
Add two gallons of milk to what you are already eating. Drink lots of water so you do not get constipated.[/quote]

this has happened to me recently. why does milk cause constipation, and why will water make it go away?

does anybody have any clue why i get sick a few hours after i consume about a gallon of milk in a day?

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

i bet that when you eat fish and chips, doughnuts, and candy bars all day you’re exceeding your maintenance cals by a lot than when you eat “clean.”

my ideas on eating? im new to nutrition (non-hippie “nutrition”, that is), so anything i say now would be stuff i picked up from a man named Lyle McDonald. he’s good at calling things what they are and cutting through the bullshit. and that’s a very good thing in nutrition since i’ve found that people make stuff up about nutrition about as much as religion(s) makes stuff up about, well, anything.

when it comes to body compostion, it’s not been shown that variations in fats and carbs give any distinct effects. so when it comes to bodycomposition, what matters is adequate protein and then calorie surplus or calorie deficit.

although, different foods are definately healthier than others, just not when it comes to body composition.