T Nation

Best First Strike and Follow?

(Non-sport)

Realizing that there are many variables at play, what would be your best first strike? As a kicker, my first would probably be a low front kick (knee or shin), followed by a close, and then applying Richard Dimitri’s ‘Shredder’. Or perhaps Kina Mutai as a follow against a grappler. (I have trained in KM)

Thoughts?

The shredder, while not classical bullshido, comes very close to that.

You cannot have one “best strike” for all situations.

What you mean is a life or death situation, right? Are others involved (bystanders, buddies, family etc)? Do you want to kill or believe the premise that lethal techniques are the way to go? Is maximum shock the thing you’re after, for example, to stage a flight?
Etc.

You will surely admit that “the shredder” is not a general purpose technique.
And high fiving each other for presenting various killer techniques is below this forum.

Recognition of a scenario and executing a plan, not just reacting to an aggressor, is the first one-two combination you have to worry about.

Two cases:
a young man with a knife, approaching slowly, looks like a junkie, my family behind me, she will freeze in terror while grasping the child, plenty of space, I have half a second, I wear shitty boots with no grip, am intoxicated and feel terrible

possibly solution-> I will calm the dude, reach for the mock wallet with just a few bucks I wear for this occasion and throw it to him, going backwards, I will stay calm and relaxed with a voice that’s loud enough too make him pick up that wallet quick and go.

Case2
two young drunks + chic, pumping themselves mentally up as they approach me, talking shit, the aggressive one has pushed me back against a garbage can and will probably close the deal in a few seconds to impress the others.
They seem unarmed, I’m fit, some other nightowls on the street.
-> I will finish these skinny fuckers as fast and decisivly as possibly, in a few seconds , circling to the right to line the guys up, after he’s down, I’ll either engage the smaller guy who will likely fold or have the opportunity to run away.

These aren’t optimal solutions, just potential basic strategy and checklist. [I must act now, what will happen, what is my aim and condition, how can I evade etc.]

Violent scenarios have to be approached with a clear head. Just sluggin it out on the street with some strangers is a capital dumb idea.

In both cases, just going kina mutai as your only solution would have endangered your life and that of your family. In the best case, you’ve crippled someone who can sue your ass off.

Summary
Don’t train magic techniques in the gym and assume you can put up with everyone in every situation. Your time is spend better if you also involve some tactical training.

There is definately not any combinations that will suit every situation. Violent situations MUST be approached with a clear head. Anger screws this up too…And the best possbile outcome is usually to avoid violence (however not always possible).

I have a favourite sequence as a boxer that I use within my sport. The more this becomes second nature, the less I have to think about which 'moves’to use, leaving more space for tactical thinking.

You want a clear head, like it has been said.

Personally i would decide between a low kick (to knee), sweep or a jab.
This would then be followed by a more powerful hit (most likely a punch since it would be the quickest) and then trying to gain control from the rear (move up behind them) and bring the person down.

If all else fails, distract the person with a fake jab, kick to the groin and run like hell.

1-2-3, basic combo in boxing that if you throw it straight and hard, will end most fights before they start.

If we’re seriously talking about a life and death situation, don’t waste time sweeping or grappling.

Eyes, ears, mouth, throat, groin. Gouge, tear, twist, rip off any of the above.

No move will end someone’s will to fight like an eye gouge- I think it may be impossible to fight through.

Scwarz had a great post. It really does depend on the situation nearly completely, but those are the basic strikes I would use.

A sever arc’d leg kick to the hamstring nerve bundle. A spearing front kick to the solarplex. If the situation allows it however, I’m out of there. I played the hero once, it cost me three years of my life.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
The shredder, while not classical bullshido, comes very close to that.

You cannot have one “best strike” for all situations.

What you mean is a life or death situation, right? Are others involved (bystanders, buddies, family etc)? Do you want to kill or believe the premise that lethal techniques are the way to go? Is maximum shock the thing you’re after, for example, to stage a flight?
Etc.

You will surely admit that “the shredder” is not a general purpose technique.
And high fiving each other for presenting various killer techniques is below this forum.

Recognition of a scenario and executing a plan, not just reacting to an aggressor, is the first one-two combination you have to worry about.

Two cases:
a young man with a knife, approaching slowly, looks like a junkie, my family behind me, she will freeze in terror while grasping the child, plenty of space, I have half a second, I wear shitty boots with no grip, am intoxicated and feel terrible

possibly solution-> I will calm the dude, reach for the mock wallet with just a few bucks I wear for this occasion and throw it to him, going backwards, I will stay calm and relaxed with a voice that’s loud enough too make him pick up that wallet quick and go.

Case2
two young drunks + chic, pumping themselves mentally up as they approach me, talking shit, the aggressive one has pushed me back against a garbage can and will probably close the deal in a few seconds to impress the others.
They seem unarmed, I’m fit, some other nightowls on the street.
-> I will finish these skinny fuckers as fast and decisivly as possibly, in a few seconds , circling to the right to line the guys up, after he’s down, I’ll either engage the smaller guy who will likely fold or have the opportunity to run away.

These aren’t optimal solutions, just potential basic strategy and checklist. [I must act now, what will happen, what is my aim and condition, how can I evade etc.]

Violent scenarios have to be approached with a clear head. Just sluggin it out on the street with some strangers is a capital dumb idea.

In both cases, just going kina mutai as your only solution would have endangered your life and that of your family. In the best case, you’ve crippled someone who can sue your ass off.

Summary
Don’t train magic techniques in the gym and assume you can put up with everyone in every situation. Your time is spend better if you also involve some tactical training.[/quote]

Good post.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
1-2-3, basic combo in boxing that if you throw it straight and hard, will end most fights before they start.

If we’re seriously talking about a life and death situation, don’t waste time sweeping or grappling.

Eyes, ears, mouth, throat, groin. Gouge, tear, twist, rip off any of the above.

No move will end someone’s will to fight an eye gouge- I think it may be impossible to fight through.

Scwarz had a great post. It really does depend on the situation nearly completely, but those are the basic strikes I would use.
[/quote]

I agree, as I have never seen kicking work well in a street fight. Good hands, however, are good hands. Ring/cage or not.

[quote]streamline wrote:
A sever arc’d leg kick to the hamstring nerve bundle. A spearing front kick to the solarplex. If the situation allows it however, I’m out of there. I played the hero once, it cost me three years of my life.[/quote]

The other post was great but people should really pay some attention to this.

It doesn’t just cost you three years of your life, it also costs you how long it takes for you to get back all the things you had. Girlfriends, jobs, etc.

It’s all good and fun to be tough, but you better be a fast runner!!!

ol’ dependable.

Jab-low kick.

SUCK MY SHIN SHORYU-KEN BITCHES!!1

heh…

/thread

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
1-2-3, basic combo in boxing that if you throw it straight and hard, will end most fights before they start.[/quote]

1-2-3 for me as well… followed up by a right uppercut, left hook to the body, panic, windmill, headbut, bite, clinch, step on feet, spit in eyes, nipple cripple…

then something I like to call “squeezin’ the peach”…

why so many low kicks to the shins? in a street fight i don’t see why you wouldn’t just low kick to the groin, sets up pretty much anything, choke, snap kick to solar plexis, knee to head, any sort of neck strike, upper cut ect.

if i was confronted with a 2v1, im not looking for fancy shit or hurting someones shins, that life and death situation to me.

1. snap kick to groin/solar plexis 1st guy
  2. eye poke 1st guy
  3. leg sweep 1st guy and move into position for 2nd guy
  4. if he hasn’t ran, rinse and repeat. that three move combo can be done in a few seconds and incapacitates people pretty well, unlikely and untrained person will get a jump on you during that.

if they happen to get ur back during that…

1. hammer fist to groin
  2. hip swing and turn around, eye poke, neck chop, groin kick.

Based on this thread I’d fight any of you. Except maybe Xen (though the “ol dependable” sounds pretty fucking lame in this context)…

And Headhunter, but only because he’s fallen so far off his rocker it ain’t even funny. :smiley:

I have the best STRATEGY for street fights…

1- Try to avoid the fight

2- Kick his nuts!

3a) Did it work? Run away!

3b)It didn’t? Run away even faster!

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

1-2-3 for me as well… followed up by a right uppercut, left hook to the body, panic, windmill, headbut, bite, clinch, step on feet, spit in eyes, nipple cripple…

then something I like to call “squeezin’ the peach”…

[/quote]

hahahahhaha

[quote]R@NE wrote:
Based on this thread I’d fight any of you. Except maybe Xen (though the “ol dependable” sounds pretty fucking lame in this context)…

And Headhunter, but only because he’s fallen so far off his rocker it ain’t even funny. :D[/quote]

Waaah?

[quote]blazindave wrote:
R@NE wrote:

And Headhunter, but only because he’s fallen so far off his rocker it ain’t even funny. :smiley:

Waaah?[/quote]

Yes, arm throw would be good in that situation.