T Nation

Best Exercises for Posture?

Probably asked a million times

I have asked several people about this and I have always been given similar but different answers. I finally want to confirm it here.
What exercise best helps posture?
The common rounded shoulders, forward neck gut out kind.

[quote]Tatsumaki wrote:
I have asked several people about this and I have always been given similar but different answers. I finally want to confirm it here.
What exercise best helps posture?
The common rounded shoulders, forward neck gut out kind.

[/quote]

All of them. Building muscle in general all over your body can help in posture all by itself…if for no other reason than increasing self esteem. The rest is largely up to you making a conscious effort to walk upright like a humanoid.

Dwight from The Office swears by using exercise balls instead of chairs.

Do it

Back before I started lifting weights, here’s what I did to improve posture:

  1. Stand next to a wall
  2. Stick your elbows and hands to the wall, overhead
  3. Make a diamond shape with your thumbs and index fingers.

Stay in that position for a few minutes, and keep doing this every few days. Helped me.

Personally, face pulls and stretching the chest and front delts a lot have really helped

Scapula protractions, retractions

External/internal rotations

Scapula press ups,

Prone internal rotations.

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
Personally, face pulls and stretching the chest and front delts a lot have really helped[/quote]

Agreed with this. Maybe it’s just me, but I think rack pulls and deadlifts help a lot, too. You know, deads kind of have the whole “do them right or fuck up your spine” vibe to them.

CT has said a couple times that supinated grip deadlifts are very good for improving posture.

I’d say if I had to pick 3 exercises to improve my posture, it would be deadlifts, barbell bicep curls & seated cable rows.

If you already have a very bad posture, you may want to give a try to this program, at least for four-six weeks:

You can read part I, II and III for your training education!

[quote]Tatsumaki wrote:
Probably asked a million times

I have asked several people about this and I have always been given similar but different answers. I finally want to confirm it here.
What exercise best helps posture?
The common rounded shoulders, forward neck gut out kind.
[/quote]

That is hard to say, but for most people posterior chain exercises will help: deadlifts, most all back exercises, and trap exercises will help.

The muscles involved in posture are comprised mostly of slow-twitch fibers so I don’t really see how performing deadlifts or other back exercises will directly help. They certainly won’t hurt but I would think the only way to improve posture is by practicing using correct posture as much as possible.

Here’s an article I wrote for Figure Athlete on the topic of improving (what I call) upper body posture.

Yeah, it’s written for T-Vixens but the info is gender neutral. :slight_smile:

Best,

Dr Clay

I had horrible posture from months of only bench and curls.

2:1 pull to push ratio
pulldowns/chins/rows

Also, remember to train your rear delts hard. If your front delts overpower your rear delts, it will puhs your shoulders forward. You can stop doing front raises alltogether, or just don’t progress on purpose, until rear delts catch up.

lots of pulling and walking/sitting straight
Keep your head back, not tilted up, push your neck back.

[quote]tykraus7 wrote:
The muscles involved in posture are comprised mostly of slow-twitch fibers so I don’t really see how performing deadlifts or other back exercises will directly help. They certainly won’t hurt but I would think the only way to improve posture is by practicing using correct posture as much as possible. [/quote]

I don’t know… When I got back pain from overdeveloped pecs, the doctor told me to do chins and stretch my chest… and practice proper posture.

It’s uncomfortable for me to slouch/stand with bad posture now because my back grew so much. I think the traps play a large role in good posture.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Dwight from The Office swears by using exercise balls instead of chairs.

Do it[/quote]

Dwight also said he’s bringing up his lower traps

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
CT has said a couple times that supinated grip deadlifts are very good for improving posture.

I’d say if I had to pick 3 exercises to improve my posture, it would be deadlifts, barbell bicep curls & seated cable rows.[/quote]

no barbell curls. I had posture problem a while ago and stretching my tight biceps help my alot. It you have a rounded back posture like an ‘‘S’’ you have to stretch biceps, pecs, traps and muscles in the neck. Try also lying down on your back, making all your legs, lower back and uppper back touching the floor while extending arm like a Y or a T. In this position you have to like breath with your chest, focusing on stretching the pecs with each breath. Do this 30min each day while focusing like it was training and you’ll have results.

Strenghten the muscle in the back too.
trust me , I had the worst posture problem ever and now I am more normal

search for Cressey’s articles on shoulders, then read them all

Front Squats (Full- right down)
Hang Cleans (Heavy)

Also… Different people may have bad posture for different reasons, some muscles may be tight… stretch them out

Stand the way you want to stand. It will become a habit. You are already strong enough to do that.