T Nation

Best Exercises for Injured Shoulder

i’am 59 yrs. old ,5 ft 9 in. wt is 220 12 % body fat,… been lifting for 35 yrs., doc says i got an impengment, arthiritis, inflamation, of the left shoulder, what would be some good exercises, to stay in the game , and still keep strong and beefed…sorry my spelling sucks

[quote]rocktober wrote:
i’am 59 yrs. old ,5 ft 9 in. wt is 220 12 % body fat,… been lifting for 35 yrs., doc says i got an impengment, arthiritis, inflamation, of the left shoulder, what would be some good exercises, to stay in the game , and still keep strong and beefed…sorry my spelling sucks[/quote]

here is a thread from not too long ago.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1761775

I’m in the same situation from the opposite direction. I’ve never weight trained before and have problems with my right shoulder. For me - very basic lifts and gradual increases in weights have improved things. But it is still bugging me - enough that I’m thinking of getting my doc to send me to a physical therapist. Sorry I’m not more help…

Looking forward to other answers.

Ok after reading this thread I realize that I have a minor annoyance in my shoulder - not a significant problem. I’ll stop whining now…

[quote]rocktober wrote:
i’am 59 yrs. old ,5 ft 9 in. wt is 220 12 % body fat,… been lifting for 35 yrs., doc says i got an impengment, arthiritis, inflamation, of the left shoulder, what would be some good exercises, to stay in the game , and still keep strong and beefed…sorry my spelling sucks[/quote]

I found these articles on this site:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=280rotator2

I’m reading through them right now.

[quote]soldog wrote:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1761775

Ok after reading this thread I realize that I have a minor annoyance in my shoulder - not a significant problem. I’ll stop whining now…[/quote]

Thanks for the link soldog. I will do the same.

Rocktober. I would recommend finding an active release technique (ART) certified chiropractor or physician and have them diagnose and fix you. I’ve had all kinds of shoulder problems from being a weekend warrior (softball, flag football, rugby) and my chiropractor puts my back together. you can search online or on this site to find some other input about ART. Cheers.

Let me chime in with the ART. ART took me from not being able to touch the top of my head for a year to being able to start overhead pressing again.

But different shoulder problems are going to have different sets of exercises that help them feel better. For the problem that I have (narrow tunnel for the RC), low weight/high rep rotator cuff exercises actually hurt because they cause hypertrophy of the rotator cuff muscles which makes them start rubbing against the bones in my shoulder and that causes tears. So… for me… the most often suggated shoulder exercises cause problems.

Whatever you do, be sensitive to what your body is telling you.

hey,

a good exercise that allows for some heavy pressing without aggravating my bad shoulders is the one arm lumberjack or grappler press.

stick one end of a bar in a corner, load the other with plates, and pick it up and press with one arm. to negate the mechanical advantage the angle gives you at the finish, loop a bad around your foot and the end of the bar. great core exercise too.