Best Exercise for Bigger Biceps

Curl a heavy sandwich. Repeat. Oh yeah, don’t work those silly triceps, they only get in the way.

[quote]Scott aka Rice wrote:
Curl a heavy sandwich. Repeat. Oh yeah, don’t work those silly triceps, they only get in the way.[/quote]

I hope you’re joking. He hasn’t said anything about his eating habits, and the tricep makes up 2/3 of the upper arm mass.

[quote]HendrixJams wrote:
I know curls are the way to go, I was just wondering if there were any other lifts that’d do a good job as well. Kinda tired of the curls, ya know?[/quote]

If we’re only using kettlebells (for whatever reason), any of the bottoms-up lifts will involve the biceps and forearms more. So I’d work on the bottoms-up clean and the power hammer curl (like a 1-arm swing transitioned into a bottoms-up hammer curl).

[quote]cardinal25 wrote:
Why do some people feel the need to be so sarcastic when a guy asks a question?[/quote]

Just for the record, I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic either. I just really like that picture, plus, it answers the question at hand. :wink:

I think alot of people (not necessarily those posting in this thread) forget that this is in the Beginner’s forum, so a little patience and tact will go a long way, and the asshole-i-tude can be kept in the other forums.

i’d bet that you are keen on improving overall arm size in addition to increasing the size of your biceps. this would give you a broader range of movements from which to choose. sounds like you’re ready to take a break from isolating the biceps and i’ll speculate that your arms will be stimulated by a new approach. i’m on board with the weighted pull-ups, play around with different grips.

also, target your tri’s through 14 inch grip bench presses, making sure to keep your elbows pulled in tightly by your side throughout. experiment with a 5x5 protocol and don’t be scared to “fail” trying a weight that is out of your comfort zone. simply recalibrate as needed to get through the sets. weighted dips come to mind also, as do partial rom rack lockouts for bench- these should enable you to push much heavier weights, relatively speaking. good luck!

My apologies fellas. I don’t post much here so as a result I don’t really know the usual culture/tone of the board.

Glad to see you guys weren’t being sarcastic :slight_smile:

/cheers

[quote]tveddy wrote:
Scott aka Rice wrote:
Curl a heavy sandwich. Repeat. Oh yeah, don’t work those silly triceps, they only get in the way.

I hope you’re joking. He hasn’t said anything about his eating habits, and the tricep makes up 2/3 of the upper arm mass.[/quote]

You honestly think I was serious? The advice I gave you with your problem was to murder that teacher and her students…please tell me you thought that was a joke as well.

[quote]Colucci wrote:
cardinal25 wrote:
Why do some people feel the need to be so sarcastic when a guy asks a question?

Just for the record, I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic either. I just really like that picture, plus, it answers the question at hand. :wink:

I think alot of people (not necessarily those posting in this thread) forget that this is in the Beginner’s forum, so a little patience and tact will go a long way, and the asshole-i-tude can be kept in the other forums.[/quote]

Exactly, and my post wasn’t directed at you haha…anyway, the guy’s getting some good advice which is what really matters.

tveddy wrote:
Scott aka Rice wrote:

I hope you’re joking. He hasn’t said anything about his eating habits, and the tricep makes up 2/3 of the upper arm mass.

You honestly think I was serious? The advice I gave you with your problem was to murder that teacher and her students…please tell me you thought that was a joke as well.
[/quote]

It’s just unnecessary. He’s looking for advice, if you have none, just butt out.

tveddy wrote:
Scott aka Rice wrote:

[/quote]

Uh oh. Too late.

hahaha i was thinking the same thing

I noticed a little growth w/o direct arm work once I started doing some seated rows with an underhand grip. Didn’t read through the whole thread, but if you have access to seated cables give it a shot.

How come when anyone asks about increasing arm size someone always shoots out core lifts and food as the ultimate answer? Squats really don’t target the bicep very well.

In order to get the best gains for the bicep you need to target the brachialis as well as the biceps brachii muscles.

Hammer Curls done sitting on an incline bench with the classic scheme of 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps is good at targeting the bicep because you can’t cheat by swinging the dumbell or using your shoulder to move the weight.

Any variation of the preacher curl will target the brachialis. You might know it as the “upper bicep.”

[quote]SkinnySwimmer wrote:
How come when anyone asks about increasing arm size someone always shoots out core lifts and food as the ultimate answer? Squats really don’t target the bicep very well.

In order to get the best gains for the bicep you need to target the brachialis as well as the biceps brachii muscles.

Hammer Curls done sitting on an incline bench with the classic scheme of 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps is good at targeting the bicep because you can’t cheat by swinging the dumbell or using your shoulder to move the weight.

Any variation of the preacher curl will target the brachialis. You might know it as the “upper bicep.”

[/quote]

Considering how many guys on this site seem to want to avoid ever breaking the 165lbs weight barrier, pointing out ‘GROWING ALL OVER’ makes perfect sense. No one has 20" arms at 150lbs. It doesn’t matter how many curls you do if you aren’t getting bigger all over and aren’t actually lifting heavy enough to warrant it.

[quote]cardinal25 wrote:
It’s just unnecessary. He’s looking for advice, if you have none, just butt out.[/quote]

Actually, there was advice; eat more food. That’s all he needs to do right now since he’s 165lbs. If he continues whatever normal program he’s on with at least one movement for biceps and one for triceps, he’ll grow. When he gets big enough, he can worry about extra inches.

If I could only do one isolation exercise for biceps, it would be standing BB curl.

[/quote]

Squats and deadlifts should be viewed as prehab exercises in this case.

They will prevent you from developing the light bulb shaped body down the road.

How come when anyone asks about increasing arm size someone always shoots out core lifts and food as the ultimate answer? Squats really don’t target the bicep very well.[/quote]

Consider them a synergist.

[quote]
In order to get the best gains for the bicep you need to target the brachialis as well as the biceps brachii muscles.[/quote]
Very good point.

[quote]
Hammer Curls done sitting on an incline bench with the classic scheme of 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps is good at targeting the bicep because you can’t cheat by swinging the dumbell or using your shoulder to move the weight.[/quote]
This is not necessarrily true. There are a number of ways to stimulate growth besides the old 3 sets of 10 with strict form.
I prefer 10 sets of 3, very fast, between sets of deads.

I call mine “squiggles!”.

[quote]HendrixJams wrote:
Jason 9 wrote:
stop worrying about your arms bitch

Oooh, I’m scared now!

Figured curls would do the trick, just was wondering what else was out there.[/quote]

calf raises.

I’m just trying to answer the question. What if someone whose browsing through the forums wants to know how to look like Greg Valentino?

I’m just trying to answer the question. What if someone whose browsing through the forums wants to know how to look like Greg Valentino?[/quote]

Well, that would have a lot less to do with working the biceps, and a lot more to do with working a syringe full of synthol, now wouldn’t it?