Best Dog for A T-Man

My ex has a Jack Russel. He is fantastic. I was never into small dogs, but he quickly changed my mind. Such character and loyalty. I was able to teach him to swim and surf even though I met him when he was already three. I was more worried about splitting up with him than my ex truth be known. Luckily I still have visitation rights, and am allowed to take him to the lake swimming and to the park. It has been difficult after his being part of my life for over three years.

I disagree with the comment about small dogs (or is it just small “yappy” dogs) and the Jack Russle terrier is a case in point. I believe they are considered the “smartest” breed. Bulldogs are considered possibly the dumbest. On the downside, a smart dog needs to reamain occupied and engaged, or he will rip apart your sofa (etc). On the other hand, a bulldog will supposedly not realize you have left the house sometimes, until you return home later. A little “slow on the uptake”. Nothing against Bulldogs, they seem like perfectly sweet and great dogs.

I also second the vote for “mutts”.

Nate Dogg, I agree with you 100% on this issue!

When I was living in a small village, we got plenty of space for 3 big Barzoi (75, 85 and 100lbs each) and they were my best friends. They’re intelligent, scare away vaccum-cleaners’ sellers and kill any rodents around the house(read other people’s cats, poodles and kids…naahh, I’m kidding! :wink: )

I mean, I don’t like little dogs, it’s all wuawuawuawua, runs all the time when you walk and then, SPLAF! you just walk over them, killing the poor creature and your wallet with it.

The only use for poodles, use lube of your feet and kick in the ass 2 poodles, you now have warm shoes for this cold weather! :o)

Big dog rules!

-LPdSB

Other small dogs that are tenacious are Patterdale terriers. Where Jack Russels are bred to flush vermine from holes the PT kills and retrieves. Self preservation has been bred out of the breed. As for cats, try an F1 Savannah. Some are 2.5 ft at the shoulders, like to swim and are trainable like canines and don’t require an exotic license. Some people like Pixie-bobs but they are either psycho or less psycho depending on ratio of Bobcat to domestic house cat their blood.

Perfomance bred American Bulldogs, are, in my experience, some of the smartest damn dogs in the canine world (I’m not talking about English BD’s or pugs, but the big American Bullies). Our AB/Pit Mix is scary smart. She opens doors like one of the Jurassic Park Velociraptors and you can’t mess with her head like you can other dogs. If you try and fake toss a ball she looks out into the yard, and then looks back at you as if to say “Okay asshole, very funny. You gonna throw the ball now?” She does come from working lines, however. I think that’s the big difference. All of the Bullies in her kennel are smart like this as well. The need for sound breeding programs in all breeds cannot be overstated.

I had a similar experience to Kahuna with an ex and the 3 dogs we had (2 from her previous life and a Viszla we got together) your right about grieving more over leaving the dogs,I’m pretty anti fathering children myself but the unconditional love and loyalty we see in dogs has got to be more rewarding than kids.

The wife and I just got a Bosdton Terrier. Great dog, very funny and NOT a GD yipper dog.

He will not be much of a watch dog though unless you consider licking the burgkar to death effective. He’s very smart and has mastered the basic sit stay come commands at 4 months old. He’s been completely house trained since three months of age (he’s almost 5 months now). The cool thing is that he’s tough enough to still go outside even if the weather is crap. 4 degrees this morning and he still took his time to find just the right place to crap. My in-laws chihuahuas piss under the couch if they know it’s crappy outside.

When I was a kid we had a springer spaniel that was amazing. He thought nothing of running 20 miles a day behind our dirt bikes when we went out riding. We’d out run him, but when we stopped to take a break he’d show up a litttle while later, lay in a puddle or stream and then start running again when we left. He was also a great guard dog despite being only about 50 lbs. Unfortunately I don’t think this is a typical breed characteristic.

Two cool dogs I’ve seen lately were a LEONBERGER that was a FULL 36 inches tall at the SHOULDER. The owner said he was a great watchdog and really good with her kids despite the fact that he went about 170lbs. This breed is not recognized by the AKC, but it is recognized by several other organizations. The other dog thaet I saw was the result of breeding a Bouvier des Flanders and a rottweiler. Somebody around here SE PA breeds them and they opccasionally show up at the humane society since people don’t realize that a cute puppy quickly turns into a monster of a dog.

Just remember that dog ownership is like having kids except that you don’t have to worry about their grades in school.

On the other had, if you get cats (we have those too and they’re cool) make sure you get more than one. that way they help occuppy each other’s time and they won’t be as likely to destroy your stuff.

I have to disagree with many people on this thread concerning small breeds. Even though my own dogs (3) are all over 60lbs I like many small dogs. My wife operates a dog grooming business out of a shop here at the house, so I get the oportuninty to interact with several dogs each day. In my experience with small dogs it’s the owners attitude that determines wheather the dog is “yappy” or not. Just like dirt bags are often the type of people attracted to pitties and rotties, insecure “yappy” little people are often the type attracted to little breeds. The dog simply becomes a reflection of the owner. I’ve met many wonderful little poodles, shih ztus, lasa apso’s, bichon’s, ect. who were big dogs trapped in little dog bodies. Of course the fact that any small terrier will be full of attitude goes without saying. As for the patterdale terrier sprout mentioned. It’s basically a bred down pit bull. They’re tougher than a two dollar steak.

Sorry, but I wanted to mention one more breed that I really like. Two years ago we had the opportunity to rescue two australian cattle dogs. We had them for just over a year before getting them adopted out. For anyone looking for an active companion, they are a fantastic dog. Very smart, agile, tough and loyal. They’re also very unique looking and will draw a lot of attention at the dog park.

There are some dogs on the smaller side that are okay. The ones I think are a waste of a dog are those little-piece-of-shit-ugly-yappy-experiments-gone-wrong dogs. I don’t know all the names of these dogs, but chihuhuas (and any of their mixes), poodles and quite a few little ugly, yappy things are what I’m talking about. Jack Russels are small, but some of them are actually pretty cool. A couple friends of mine have Jack Russels, and they are fun dogs. I personally wouldn’t want a dog that small. I prefer medium to large dogs. And I do agree that mutts make the best dogs. Full-bred dogs tend to have many more health problems than mutts.

I’ve owned many dogs during my life or had family and friends with dogs. So I’ve grown up around collies, retrievers, labs, dobermans, rots, bulldogs, German shepherds, huskies, various mutt mixes, dalmations, jack russels and my aussie mix. So I’m more of a real man’s dog lover. Save the little yappers for fat housewives that sit at home eating bon bons while watching the Eukanuba Dog Show on USA.

Let me preface this by saying that I want eithier a Rottie, English bulldog, Am Staff, or a pit. Now my favorite dog that I know personally is my parents Yorki. It’s full of attitude, loves to fight, wrestle, and hunt for little critters around the house. And when she’s tired loves to just lay on you. I thought it was a waste at first too but after playing with her and see’s her aggresivness and fearlessness she’s the best.

My favorite dog now is the APBT. Like Magnus said. I did rescue one from a scum bag. It was the most loyal dog I had ever seen.

As far as cats, I own a Bengal and love the lil guy. I’m not so much a cat person. But the Bengal has insanely sharp claws(Perhaps cuz he’s only 2 or 3 generations removed from a snow leapard) and he’s too damn smart for his own good. If there’s any furniture high enough, he can open doors. He turns on the faucets and gets water for himself. He flicks lights on and off. Tears through screens like their nothing with his claws.

Oh yeah, he gets along great with my iguana.

Here's a link to what bengal cats look like for any interested. www.jumanjibengals.com/ index.html

Anyone here own an English Bulldog? I’d really like one but just can’t sell my wife on them. She says they’re too ugly and that they slobber. Personally I think they’re great. One thing, they are quite expensive. Most breeders around my parts (Pennsy.) ask about $1,300 and up for a pup.

English Bulldogs are cool but they have health issues. They have trouble breathing. However, as I already posted, they are low maintenance.

I believe the American Bulldog has one of the most powerful bites of any breed. You can guage a dog’s biting power by checking the cleft of muscles on their head. The deeper the cleft (and more muscular) the stronger the bite. That cleft is where the muscles of the jaw are attached, the muscles wrap down the side of the dog’s head, I believe. Demo Dick, your American Bulldog probably has a well-developed “head” LOL. The American Bulldog I know is exceptionally bright.

To the poodle-haters, they are one of the smartest breeds, as well as having an “emotional” intelligence as well. And a standard (full size) poodle makes an excellent watch dog.

For anyone who might care, here is my personal list of top t-dogs in alphabetical order. Am. bulldogs, am. staff’s, apbt, argentine dogo, australian cattle dog, boxer, bull terrier, english bulldog, bullmastiff, cane corso, dogue de bordeaux, great dane, mastiff, neopolitan mastiff, presa canario(sp?) standard poodle, rhodesian ridgebacks, rottie’s, giant schnauzers, and staffie bulls. I know there are several other great breeds, I just prefer short haired mastiff breeds. In fact the only breed I can honestly say I don’t care for are chow chows. This is the only breed that I have consistantly seen temperment problems with.

Chows really do have bad tempers. Every Chow mix I’ve ever met has been really great, though. A previous girlfriend has a Lab/Chow mix and she was really sweet (dumb as a rock, though). I also knew someone who had a Sharpei/Chow mix… now that was a cool looking dog, really nice, and smart as hell, too.

I knew someone with a Lab-Chow mix. It bit me in my face. I had a nice cut under my eye and on my lip. I paid a visit to the ER for stitches after that one. Yes, they do have temperament problems.

I mentioned before that i have an APBT. In my opinion (in the right hands) the best dog you could possibly own. My mother, owns 2 chinese shar-pei’s. I don’t know if anybody here knows anything about this breed but if carefully raised and cared for, can also be a loving loyal family member. If in the wrong hands, much like the Pit bull can be a very dangerous dog. Also like the pit bull they were bred to fight - so they can be very aggressive and very confrontational. Although they are very expensive i would recommend this dog to anyone.

I have a Lab-Chow, and I’ll disagree wholeheartedly. Dogs are individuals, like people. Being of a certain breed doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re gonna act a certain way. My dog is the sweetest thing. She’s just over a year, so she still has the playful Lab puppy thing going, but she’s never bitten anybody. Hell, I’ve never even heard her growl at anyone. She likes to “mouth” like a lot of Labs, but it’s always playful. She just doesn’t realize how big she is sometimes.

We’d heard the Chow thing when we got her, but it’s just never materialized.

I ever had a male doberman (great dog) lots of energy, tough, great runners. Now I have a chocolate labrador retreiver (best dog in the world!!!) it’s a female. She’s great with my 2 kids, she can pull a small sleigh with kids in,and she’s a good guardian. She’s got a big chest (com’on guys!!!) and she’s powerful in the snow.