Best Diet For Cutting?

Hi guys i am now in need of some serious cutting i have bulked up to 235lbs and about 15% bf which is too high in my book but what the hell i gained some good muscle?

Whats the best diet to use when trying to get down to about 10%bf?And what time scale should i be lookin at to get down to this level?

IMO the “best” for everyone is nutrient timing. Eat the bulk of your carbs at breakfast, pre and post workout then taper off the rest of the day while keeping protein intake high and fat intake moderate.

Dieting is fairly simple unless you’re looking for 4%BF but too many people try to complicate it for some reason thinking there’s a magic diet just like a magic training program.

[quote]BRITISHBULLDOG wrote:
Hi guys i am now in need of some serious cutting i have bulked up to 235lbs and about 15% bf which is too high in my book but what the hell i gained some good muscle?

Whats the best diet to use when trying to get down to about 10%bf?And what time scale should i be lookin at to get down to this level?[/quote]

The best diet is the one that you will stick too. I’m not being snide. Not every diet is the “best” diet for every person. Find a plan that fits YOU.

What CaliforniaLaw said is totally right, but he left a few bits out-- like how to determine which diet is best for you.

Have you figured out how well you tolerate carbs? Are you okay with the same thing day after day (Velocity Diet, for example)? How crappy is your diet now? Are you doing highly glycogen-depleting workouts (playing sports like soccer, for example)? There are a whole host of questions that change which diets you should consider…

[quote]InCorporeSano wrote:
What CaliforniaLaw said is totally right, but he left a few bits out-- like how to determine which diet is best for you.

Have you figured out how well you tolerate carbs? Are you okay with the same thing day after day (Velocity Diet, for example)? How crappy is your diet now? Are you doing highly glycogen-depleting workouts (playing sports like soccer, for example)? There are a whole host of questions that change which diets you should consider…
[/quote]

Thanks for all the replys,I do try to keep carbs moderate as to many will make me fat as i seem to put on fat easy but also gain alot of muscle in sort time,i am a end/mesomorph.

My diet while bulking was clean,i ate steaks,chicken,turkey and a whole range of carbs.I also went to mcdonalds twice a week as a cheat.I have no problem with sticking to boring diets or keepin things like groundhog day?thats bodybuilding.

I only weight train as i love bodybuilding,i play no other sports and have low activity desk job.
I wouldnt know where too start to be honest any diets on T-Nation?

I also have the bodyopus book which i was thinkin of doing?is that any good?

[quote]E-man wrote:
IMO the “best” for everyone is nutrient timing. Eat the bulk of your carbs at breakfast, pre and post workout then taper off the rest of the day while keeping protein intake high and fat intake moderate.

Dieting is fairly simple unless you’re looking for 4%BF but too many people try to complicate it for some reason thinking there’s a magic diet just like a magic training program.[/quote]

I know what your saying i am not lookin for a magic diet,i just want basic info so that i can make one to fit my needs.I am willing to put in the hard work because i want to become a better bodybuilder.And i feel you all here could help me because you all are the best group on the internet.

I agree with the nutrient timing. It is what works best for me. Search for anything by Berardi on this site and you will find a great idea/plan for getting your best body comp.

Bodyopus is a good diet but it’s rather outdated. I would say that it’s dependent on bodyfat. if you’re 15 percent or more, I think most any solid plan would work.

As the vets on here can attest to, however, the leaner you get, the tougher it is to drop bodyfat. Personally, the three that have worked well for me as far as getting down to low levels (under 10 percent) are Lyle McDonald’s Ultimate Diet 2.0 (fixed most all the shortcomings of Bodyopus and the original Ultimate Diet), Berardi’s Get Shredded Plan, and Joel Marion’s updated Cheaters Diet.

[quote]Sweet Pea wrote:
Bodyopus is a good diet but it’s rather outdated. I would say that it’s dependent on bodyfat. if you’re 15 percent or more, I think most any solid plan would work.

As the vets on here can attest to, however, the leaner you get, the tougher it is to drop bodyfat. Personally, the three that have worked well for me as far as getting down to low levels (under 10 percent) are Lyle McDonald’s Ultimate Diet 2.0 (fixed most all the shortcomings of Bodyopus and the original Ultimate Diet), Berardi’s Get Shredded Plan, and Joel Marion’s updated Cheaters Diet.[/quote]

Where do i get the info for ultimate diet 2.0?Anywhere on the web?will check them out?

That post under Sweet Pea’s name was actually me. I keep forgetting to check to see if my wife is logged in on our computer.

www.bodyrecomposition.com.

A forewarning: If you’re under 15 percent, forget this diet. It isn’t necessary until you reach this point.

Just reread the thread…I saw you mentioned you were at 15 percent. My bad.

You could try Chris Shugart’s Velocity Diet which is available on here. It’s supposed to be great if you can handle it; Chris mentioned that some of the new Biotest supplements might make the diet easier/more successful.

Some great advice from you all very helpful indeed never had such a great response.

I like the www.bodyrecomposition.com site very good indeed.

Its very hard to make a decision about which diet to use,i dont want to lose any of my hard earned muscle and fear it greatly indeed as it taken me 3years to get from 180 to 235lbs.

I have looked at all the options and i am still wondering what to do,maybe a little more thought?How many have you used velocity diet?Lyle mcdonalds or get shredded?Got any photos to show the transformation

I’m on John Berardi’s Get Shredded diet right now. I’m definitly losing fat pretty fast. Not sure about muscle loss, but I’m not getting weaker. I also find it pretty easy to follow. Only problem was that I wasn’t getting enough fiber and got constipated pretty bad. I added more low carb vegetables, and replaced the cheese I was eating with almonds. I am also taking clenbuterol mostly for its anti-catabolic effects.

[quote]T234 wrote:
I’m on John Berardi’s Get Shredded diet right now. I’m definitly losing fat pretty fast. Not sure about muscle loss, but I’m not getting weaker. I also find it pretty easy to follow. Only problem was that I wasn’t getting enough fiber and got constipated pretty bad. I added more low carb vegetables, and replaced the cheese I was eating with almonds. I am also taking clenbuterol mostly for its anti-catabolic effects. [/quote]

Cool info,like like the idea of losing it at a fast rate,however if i felt i was losing too much muscle i would definatly change it around.Hahaha yeah struggling on the shitter is horrible,i used to get that when eating too many eggs.

What bf% where you when you first started?and what are you now?You used clen or ephadrine before or is this your first time?How are the side effects?How is the whole experiance in general

[quote]T234 wrote:
I’m on John Berardi’s Get Shredded diet right now. I’m definitly losing fat pretty fast. Not sure about muscle loss, but I’m not getting weaker. I also find it pretty easy to follow. Only problem was that I wasn’t getting enough fiber and got constipated pretty bad. I added more low carb vegetables, and replaced the cheese I was eating with almonds. I am also taking clenbuterol mostly for its anti-catabolic effects. [/quote]

I dispise cookie cutter diets like that. Any diet that starts off with an immediate 1000+ calorie drop off SUCKS. Everything must be done SLOWLY. Anyone on the “Get Shredded Diet” who says they didn’t lose strength/energy is lying to you, unless of course they were already eating under 2500 calories.

My maintenence cals are in the mid-upper 3’s, that diet told me to multiply my bodyweight by TEN! That’s terribly unhealthy. The least you could do is SLOWLY lower to that, and even then, BWx10 is still too low. Even in precontest I don’t go that low untill the week before a photoshoot/show.

[quote]Roy wrote:
T234 wrote:
I’m on John Berardi’s Get Shredded diet right now. I’m definitly losing fat pretty fast. Not sure about muscle loss, but I’m not getting weaker. I also find it pretty easy to follow. Only problem was that I wasn’t getting enough fiber and got constipated pretty bad. I added more low carb vegetables, and replaced the cheese I was eating with almonds. I am also taking clenbuterol mostly for its anti-catabolic effects.

I dispise cookie cutter diets like that. Any diet that starts off with an immediate 1000+ calorie drop off SUCKS. Everything must be done SLOWLY. Anyone on the “Get Shredded Diet” who says they didn’t lose strength/energy is lying to you, unless of course they were already eating under 2500 calories.

My maintenence cals are in the mid-upper 3’s, that diet told me to multiply my bodyweight by TEN! That’s terribly unhealthy. The least you could do is SLOWLY lower to that, and even then, BWx10 is still too low. Even in precontest I don’t go that low untill the week before a photoshoot/show.[/quote]

Here what you are saying,i feel with a calorie reduction of that magnitude would definatly make me lose muscle however at the same time i do put my trust into JB.

I seen some guy post pictures of himself before and after this diet and he looked like shit compaired to the before picture,however he still have a beach body but i like to look big and full not with a small pecs,arms etc…

So roy what do you suggest?I was gonna do shredded?

i’m mostly restating whats been said, but to throw in my 2 cents of agreeing:
i agree with the “what you’ll stick to” 100%. having gone from great athletic powerlifting/football/track shape, to pure shit, to trying to get it back… its a matter of what you’ll stick to.

if you stick to a pristine diet for 8 months then just cant take it, its not gonna do you any good in 14 months when its halfway shit again. find something thats a balance of healthy and acceptable to you. if you’re miserable you likely wont stick it for a long time.

[quote]eclypse wrote:
i’m mostly restating whats been said, but to throw in my 2 cents of agreeing:
i agree with the “what you’ll stick to” 100%. having gone from great athletic powerlifting/football/track shape, to pure shit, to trying to get it back… its a matter of what you’ll stick to.

if you stick to a pristine diet for 8 months then just cant take it, its not gonna do you any good in 14 months when its halfway shit again. find something thats a balance of healthy and acceptable to you. if you’re miserable you likely wont stick it for a long time.[/quote]

I can stick to any diet i have before and i will again,i always eat healthy anyway.I have no problem sticking to any diet as i want the best result