T Nation

Best Diet for 20%+ BF?

Other than the velocity diet, which other diet plan is best suited for us 20%+ BF Bodytypes?

I saw get shredded, but that’s for 15 or less. Then there is the carb cycling codex, but thibs recommends it only if your less than 15%.

Thanks for your input

One good option is to do the Velocity Diet for 4 weeks, then start on Mike Rousell’s Naked Nutrition guide, which can be tailored for both fat loss and muscle gains.

Just a lower carb/calorie diet with cardio.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
Just a lower carb/calorie diet with cardio.[/quote]

I agree at this point keep it simple and nail solid habits

Look at T-Dawg 2.0

Phill

You don’t need a “diet.” You need a lifestyle change. First, change your lifestyle and start eating right. Only then do you need to worry about a diet.

Berardi has written many good articles on this. Spend some time reading and finding them.

As CLaw mentioned, you’re looking at a permanent lifestyle change, not a temporary “diet”.

Berardi’s 7 Habits are a great foundation. I’ll venture to say it’s actually impossible to remain much higher than 15% once these habits are ingrained and adhered to:

  1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

  2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

  3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

  4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

  5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

  6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

  7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

I think what you should do is keep doing what you’ve always done but add in a good dose of overthinking and talking about diets on the internet - that ought to lean you right out…

[/sarcasm]

Do you really think that the Get Shredded diet is not going work because you are slightly over 15% bodyfat? - give me a fucking break.

[quote]chillain wrote:
As CLaw mentioned, you’re looking at a permanent lifestyle change, not a temporary “diet”.

Berardi’s 7 Habits are a great foundation. I’ll venture to say it’s actually impossible to remain much higher than 15% once these habits are ingrained and adhered to:

  1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

[/quote]

Nonsense, intermittent fasting works well for lots of folks too.

[quote]JimR wrote:
chillain wrote:
As CLaw mentioned, you’re looking at a permanent lifestyle change, not a temporary “diet”.

Berardi’s 7 Habits are a great foundation. I’ll venture to say it’s actually impossible to remain much higher than 15% once these habits are ingrained and adhered to:

  1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

Nonsense, intermittent fasting works well for lots of folks too.

[/quote]
Looks like a pretty good crito to follow IMO, certainly not nonsense.

I like Berardi’s list of eating habits (indeed, they serve me best for maintaining my actual bodyweight and bf%).

But if I need to get ripped asap, I just go very hypocaloric (provided that I get in enough protein and fibre/veggies/green salad).
In my case (200 lbs, 15% bf, 5,6") it means going as far down as approximately 1500kcal (and at least 200g of protein) and making a refeed (mainly carbs, ca. 1g protein / kg of body weight and at most 20g of fat) of about 4000kcal once a week.

Training-wise I use cluster training (mainly basic compound exercises with a bit of arm training tossed in for good measure) which enables me to circumvent the usual cns exhaustion; that way I can train my whole body six times a weak (ungeared).

This method has always worked out best for me; I was able to drop 50kg of body fat (and water) in 16 weeks while at least retaining my muscle mass (my upper arms’ circumference remained constant, indeed).

I’m not trying to fish for compliments or bullshit anyone - that’s just the way it worked for me.

The downside: that extensive cluster training took me about 2.5h a day; and on top of that I incorporated a lot of stretching to prevent injuries; so including a proper warm up and cool down - stretching included - the training took me about 3h a day. Lucky me was a student at that time, so it worked out quite well.

Hope I could help. If you’ve got any questions, just ask away.

50kg… or ~110lbs in 16weeks?

That better be a massive typo lol

@Evilmage
Yap, there’s a typo. It’s been 26 weeks, not 16.
It’s up to you, if you want to believe my claims or not. I’m not trying to boost my ego or to sell anything - just trying to provide y2k with another perspective.

So, let’s not start a flame war and stay on topic.

Anyone who’s interested in before-after-shots may want to check this link: http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7131/26weeksup0.jpg

Otherwise, let’s not detract from y2k’s questions. Thanks.

[quote]novagreg wrote:
One good option is to do the Velocity Diet for 4 weeks, then start on Mike Rousell’s Naked Nutrition guide, which can be tailored for both fat loss and muscle gains. [/quote]

I thought the V-Diet was not recommended for large amounts of fat loss. I thought it was for people who needed to get the last few pounds off their body.

But I could be mistaken.