Best Deadlift for Person with Back Problems

[quote]hawaiilifterMike wrote:
The machine I do it on has the seat as well, but has 2 sets of handles, one for seated and one for standing.
I grab the lower set of handles and do the deadlifts.

Similar to this:

[/quote]

Mike, clicking on this link didn’t work. Could you resend one that points to that video? I’d like see how its done.

[quote]J L Erwin wrote:

I’m 45 and 8-10 years out from surgeries and can still deadlift however probably will never impress anyone with the weights I use but they still work to a degree. It can be done (sometimes) so keep working at it. Form is obviously critical.

[/quote]

I’m really not trying to get any heavy weights up on deads. Just enough to keep the back relatively strong. I actually did them today and the work out looked like this:

135x5
185x5
225x5
245x3
265x3

I bench more than that. I could’ve gone higher but I didn’t wanna push it. I’m not really long to progress too much. If I can come in the gym and work up to 315x5 for a few sets with relative ease I’d be happy. That’d be strong enough for me.

1. Sumo
  2. Sumo
  3. Sumo

Did you find this reply helpful?

:slight_smile:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
hawaiilifterMike wrote:
The machine I do it on has the seat as well, but has 2 sets of handles, one for seated and one for standing.
I grab the lower set of handles and do the deadlifts.

Similar to this:

Mike, clicking on this link didn’t work. Could you resend one that points to that video? I’d like see how its done.[/quote]

if that does not work please search on YouTube these key words “shrug machine deadlift”.

I have a pretty bad back too. If you have the flexibility in you hips the Sumo is best. If you can build a solid Sumo form you will probably find you strength will go up as well because Sumo recruits more muscle groups then conventional. Not sure if I have to mention this, but proper breathing techniques are a must. Increasing intra-abdominal pressure could have a pain effect on you disk herniation. Belting may or may not contribute to pain, it depends on if you know how to use it properly. The great thing about Sumo is it decreases the amount of lower back involvement. Trap Bar would be my next suggestion.

Hope this helps

I have messed up my back with conventional DLs, Sumo DLs and rack pulls. The last, most serious incident was with rack pulls (from knee level about 350 pounds) and meant 3 months of no or shitty workouts.

I have decided to no longer do any form of DLs as a consequence. The risk of another back injury outweighs any potential benefits of the DL for me. I am currently doing a physical therapy and my injuries may have been caused by insufficient abdominal bracing. However, I have no plans to try to verify this hypothesis.

Anyway, before you advance on your deadlift poundages I would advise you to:

• work on your core stability (buying the 2 Stuart McGill books will be a good investment)
  • look for everyday activities compromising your back health (like sitting for long periods of time)
  • have someone check out your deadlift form periodically. If you have back issues, your form should be perfect.

I have some back issues as well, and if you want the closest benefit that a complete deadlift would produce I would definitely go with Rack Pulls and even T-bar rows, both of these exercises will help back thickness and your traps, the trap bar deadlifts IMO should be avoided because of your back issues.