"Best Damn Workout Plan For Natural Lifters": Upper/Lower vs Push/Pull?

Thanks, CT! That’s sort of what I figured. I thought maybe you’d adjust volume or increase the number of exercises from 4 to 6. I think an article would be great.

Thanks!

1 Like

Christian,

Do you think it would work to lean legs as well? I mean by the relationship of excess of cortisol and progesterone/estrogen imbalance leading a estrogen dominance.

By the way, it makes me think on some changes in your “Double Stimulation Training” advice/guidelines from 2014.

I use 6 exercises myself (as will the plan in the future article) so you should be fine.

2 Likes

CT, so your saying you use 6 exercises done 4 times a week? How would we set this up? I am also having trouble getting to the gym 6 times a week.

I’m training 6 out of 8 days… the set-up will be posted in an upcoming article

1 Like

I have combined the days into 3 days, days 1&2 on Sunday super set style, day 3&4 on Tuesday super set style, day 5&6 on Thursday super set style. Fri & Sat rest, repeat on Sunday. What’s your opinion of that refiguration?

To me that would put too much volume on the combined day which will require a lot more glycogen to be mobilized which will lead to a lot of cortisol release. Kinda defeats the whole concept. I hate it.

2 Likes

Hey Christian - thanks for putting this together and taking time to reply to our questions!

I am the typical representative of the natural with average genetics group and I am going to try this program out - I have a question which is more of a diet one, however it’s closely related to the program so I will write it here.

I used to be skinny-fat and had a hard time changing my body-comp and out of all the different approaches I have tried, recently Ketogenic has given me the biggest improvement - for 1 month and a week I have managed to go down from 19.2% to 14.9% bf and increase fat free mass from 69 to 72 kg - not sure how I managed to increase FFM as I started Keto after bulging disk injury and was unable to perform any lower body work - the measuring was done professionally so it should be very accurate, though it still sounds strange (also nothing has worked so well for me in the past in terms of losing fat while retaining mass). I’ve been working out for a long time now - about 5 years with quite a few injuries in between so more like 2-3 years of solid working out.

My question is - what kind of diet do you suggest whilst on this plan? I am thinking about going back to carbs as my main goal is to gain mass and was planning carb-cycling, however I am not entirely sure about the weekly split in low/med/high carbs as well as macro split and carb %. Or (considering that keto is the only thing that worked for me) should I go full carb as it is a 6 day workout plan?

Also two sides questions:

1. Do you suggest doing sprints on any of those days?

2. What tempo should I use for the first two standard sets?

Cheers!

Thank you for your time and reply. Growing up my friend trained doing only
incline bench, pullups, ez bar curls, and lying tricep extensions. Each
exercise for only three total sets. On Mon, Wed, and Fri. He ate like a
beast and grew like a weed. In about a year, he went from 115 lbs to 175.
It was amazing he was skinny as a door, and became thicker than a wall. He
was about 5’7".
I’m 6’1" 47 years old. I want a Mon , Wed , Fri program to grow big and
strong, will you advice me please. Thank you for your time, and experience.

@grimes3647 I’m quite certain CT doesn’t have the time nor inclination to design a specific program for you. There are hundreds if not thousands of training programs on this site. I suggest you pick one that best suits your needs and go with it.

1 Like

That said, what do you think of the following set up?

Full body on 5-6 days. For every bodypart you take 3 exercises which are cycled through out the days. First day 5 reps, second day 10 reps, third day 15 reps. You start with just one work set and build up the tolerance on a weekly basis until you get to your top.

For example:
Squat 1x5
Bench 1x5
Chin Ups 1x5
Rows 1x5
French Press 1x5
Curls 1x5
RDL 1x5

Next day you will take other exercises and look for 10 reps.

I bounce around between gym near family’s home(tons of weight),a gym near work(globo) and a small gym in my home(some dbs and nautilus machine). I never know which gym Im going to be at from day to day. It looks as though each body part trained gets 1 heavy double,1 drop and 1 mtor. Is that accurate? and if so is that the key or is it the exercises associated with each technique? Hope this wasnt confusing, just trying to find something that can be flexible and I like the exercises in this workout. Thanks for the help!

Hi CT,

I’m more curious than anything, why a push pull split and not a push and a pull in each training session?

So for example instead of doing what you wrote:

Doing say:

Workout A1
1.) RDLs
2.) Dumbell Lateral Raise
3.) Pull-ups
4.) Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extensions

Workout B1
1.) Front Squat
2.) Bent-over lateral
3.) Bench
4.) Standing BB Curl

That probably doesn’t meet the other guidelines in your article. I just wanted to throw up an example of what I’m asking.

Have you tried this and found it to be less ideal?

I don’t see why that wouldn’t work as the program isn’t heavy on specific progressions on specific lifts (like 5/3/1 for example).

1 Like

@MG13, all due respect, but did you read the article? Do your remember anything about controlling cortisol? Of course, I’m not CT, but I’m pretty sure you’ll get a big thumbs down on this one.

Coach,

What do you think of this program for enhanced lifters ??

May it works ?

Thx

Of course!

Enhanced lifters can “get away” with more training mistakes than naturals; but training optimally will give them slightly better gains for sure. Many many enhanced bodybuilders have switched to a lower volume approach like DC training or Fortitude Training over the past years.

While I believe in frequency, too much frequency (hitting each muscle directly or indirectly 6 days a week) might not be optimal. Honestly I haven’t tried it so it could very well work, but my gut feeling and understanding of hypertrophy lead me to think that it wont work well.

1 Like

As I mentioned in a previous reply, I believe in high frequency, but I think that too high lf a frequency will not lead to better results and might actually be worse. And as it was mentioned, training the whole body will raise cortisol more. Will it be significant enough to decrease muscle gain? I don’t know but I do not believe that it would be optimal at all.