Best Conditioning While Bulking?

Thank you Xen and Irish for adding some sense to this.

For what its worth Ive boxed competitively, competed on a national level in taekwondo, and have a pretty good powerlifting total fwiw.

But I guess ignorance is alive and well on the 'Nation.

[quote]666Rich wrote:

For what its worth Ive boxed competitively, competed on a national level in taekwondo, and have a pretty good powerlifting total fwiw.

[/quote]

Lol how many times must I say personal experience. If steady state works for you then fucking do it OP thats it end of discussion.

OP, where are you…??

[quote]666Rich wrote:

[/quote]

ignorance is florishing here as big bunch of clueless donkeys is chasing their hero of the moment.Now the hero is Wendler,so everybody doing 5-3-1,doing hill sprints and pushing prowler.
Tomorrow it will be somebody else and the training will change,except for benching & curling which are always done.Still,athletes will prepare through basics that always work and win medals.

I logged on today to literally post the same question. Right now I’m 5’10, 192lbs, around 14% body fat. I ship for Army Basic training March 19th, and was wondering how I could improve my cardio before then, because all they do is pretty much bodyweight drills and conditioning exercises in basic for exercises.

[quote]Trael wrote:
I logged on today to literally post the same question. Right now I’m 5’10, 192lbs, around 14% body fat. I ship for Army Basic training March 19th, and was wondering how I could improve my cardio before then, because all they do is pretty much bodyweight drills and conditioning exercises in basic for exercises.[/quote]

Its plenty of time for you to improve cardio til March the 19th.

Do lots of swimming laps in the pool in the morning,run in the afternoon,do long distance cycling in the evening.In between those workouts,do some kettlebell high rep stuff,plenty of calistenics and rope jumping.
Do this routine every day except Sunday.

On Sunday,since its God s day,do your prowler pushing and hill sprints religiously.
Clean your diet as to hit 6 % body-fat.
You ll be kicking ass in Basic Training!! ;))

I don’t know anything about Wendler SKELAC but hill sprints are awesome and I wish I had a prowler to push around, or a sled to drag or some shit like that, would be an epic addition to training on top of every-thing else.

prowler has got to be an awesome exercise if you put yourself hardcore into it. I have never used one though, what’s the issue with them? Other than the bullshit price. (I’d rather do a heavy set of farmers walks, but the prowler looks fun)

[quote]IronClaws wrote:
I don’t know anything about Wendler SKELAC but hill sprints are awesome and I wish I had a prowler to push around, or a sled to drag or some shit like that, would be an epic addition to training on top of every-thing else.

prowler has got to be an awesome exercise if you put yourself hardcore into it. I have never used one though, what’s the issue with them? Other than the bullshit price. (I’d rather do a heavy set of farmers walks, but the prowler looks fun)[/quote]

1.its not about Wendler.I respect the man.Its about clueless donkeys that come to this site that need to be spoon-fed and cannot put together a basic effective program for their needs although they spend hundred of hours on this site and other exercise oriented sites.

Next months,some other expert will push back bridges with weighted vest for time and everybody will start jerking off to that.Next year,tossing a barbell for distance will be the new exercise that promises that these mediocre pencilnecks will become superathletic.

2.you dont need a prowler,you can push your car around.you dont need reverse hyper overpriced bullshit machine- gymnasts did similar move with weights on ankles of a gymnastic horse for decades.Start your your fucking brain,so the industry doesnt ripp you of all of your cash.

Haha, good point.

I have gotten some pretty killer results from using driftwood I found at the beach(like the one in my avatar), or progressively trying to 1 rep max deadlift big rocks down a the beach. But there’s a lot of things you can do that are cheap and effective.

I want to get some heavy-chains to wrap around that thing getting pretty light even with the weight vest but it provided months of good hypertrophy progress.

I had picked up some rope to drag around what must have been this 250-300+pound tree(probably even heavier considering my body-weight and the size/effort it took) that the ocean had washed up on the shore, pulling with your back, or slinging it across your shoulder and pulling with the rope provided a killer workout, probably on par with the prowler, and it was a dirt cheap workout.

dragging/pulling with a rope is also killer on the grip if you try and use just your hands/fore-arms, but you’ll def find yourself going at it in ALL different ways that hit the entire body.

I’ve mentioned this before, I’ve even found a big 25pound piece of driftwood that looks exactly like a neanderthalensis club from a cartoon or like a giant indian club.

you could find a pretty big sledge hammer for the price of a prowler, haha.

[quote]SKELAC wrote:

1.its not about Wendler.I respect the man.Its about clueless donkeys that come to this site that need to be spoon-fed and cannot put together a basic effective program for their needs although they spend hundred of hours on this site and other exercise oriented sites.

[/quote]

Funny you mention Jim Wendler. I just listened to an Iron Radio broadcast where they interviewed the man himself and he was asked for advice for a SKINNY FAT GUY LOOKING TO BULK.

Wendler’s response (summarised in my words): Cut out hard conditioning, specifically NO hill sprints, NO prowler etc. Instead he recommended … (dramatic pause) … jogging, biking and yes even walking.

Listen to it yourself - link is below, it’s podcast #43, skip to the 25 minute mark or so for his response to that particular question.

http://ironradio.org/Contrib_Readings_Episodes_Archive41-49.htm

Taking a step back a bit, the OP has not posted after the initial post so I’m not whether he still cares or not. But the discussion in this thread is still decent.

The reason I got involved in this thread is to put forward a view that’s not all that popular in these parts - but has been proven time and time again in the past (going back decades).

I didn’t make that last comment to try get into a piss fight online with anyone. Other posters who have responded in favour of harder conditioning (eg, Pat, DarkNinjaa) I’m sure are both muscular and in great shape - and I mean this genuinely.

They’ve obviously found what works for them - and more power to them for that.

As I said in my first post, there is a place for all types of training - it just depends on your goals. Just because I’m pro-steadystate doesn’t mean I recommend you run 20 km 5 days a week every morning if you’re trying to bulk. That would be excessive as well, GIVEN YOUR GOALS.

I just wanted to make the point that there are other paths out there. So keep an open mind, try what makes sense to you and/or what you enjoy. And most importantly if it brings YOU results, keep doing it.

Actually, Wendler says that his conditioning shouldn’t detract from his work in the weight room. He says can’t push prowler/hill sprint 4-5 times a week and expect to kick ass in his squats. It needs to be tailored to his needs. He does recommend intense or steady state cardio at the beginning of the answer.

Just to be accurate.

All of it works. I run hills because it kicks my ass and gives me the best results of any other conditioning form I’ve. During my military service I did a ton of steady state cardio, fartlek, intervals varying in length, bodyweight circuits, metabolic circuits, tabata and all that stuff… I reckon the best would be to mix it up. I run hills twice a week, plus two tabata sessions where I used bodyweight, sledghammers, heavy bag work and such. I am also trying to gain mass. So far I managed to go from 170 to 175 in about two months without a gain in bodyfat. Also training with 5/3/1 and making strength gains. So it all works. Just be consistent and work hard with whatever you choose to do, and eat proper.

[quote]SKELAC wrote:

[quote]Trael wrote:
I logged on today to literally post the same question. Right now I’m 5’10, 192lbs, around 14% body fat. I ship for Army Basic training March 19th, and was wondering how I could improve my cardio before then, because all they do is pretty much bodyweight drills and conditioning exercises in basic for exercises.[/quote]

Do lots of swimming laps in the pool in the morning,run in the afternoon,do long distance cycling in the evening.In between those workouts,do some kettlebell high rep stuff,plenty of calistenics and rope jumping.

On Sunday,since its God s day,do your prowler pushing and hill sprints religiously.
You ll be kicking ass in Basic Training!! ;))[/quote]

Haha this sounds pretty intense Ill have to do it…any tips on diet? I’m around 4k calories at this point, and doing Wendlers. I’d not like to lose a huge portion of my strength so should I keep up the 5/3/1 program?

[quote]Trael wrote:

[quote]SKELAC wrote:

[quote]Trael wrote:

You ll be kicking ass in Basic Training!! ;))[/quote]

Haha this sounds pretty intense Ill have to do it…any tips on diet? I’m around 4k calories at this point, and doing Wendlers. I’d not like to lose a huge portion of my strength so should I keep up the 5/3/1 program?[/quote]

Bootcamp isn’t really about top strength its about strength endurance. You could keep doing what you’re doing now and be just fine through bootcamp. If you’re looking to excel or stand out then doing something like the other poster said will help you more. Do you need to do everything though? No.