Best Concert Experience?

I saw Snoop Dogg at the Senator Theater here in Chico a couple years ago. Not the greatest concert, but what made it cool was that he had come up from LA just for this one show in tiny little Chico, CA and I got to hang out with him backstage for about a half an hour afterwards since my buddy was the head of security at the venue.

-Deftones opening for Pantera opening for Black Sabbath in Toronto.

-Primus opening for Rush, Geddy and Les performing a bass solo together, mind blown…

-Bad Religion. Just a really good show

2001: Pantera and Slayer at the San Jose Arena

I barely remember any of it because I drank about a fifth of rum, smoked a quarter ounce of weed to my face and snorted a small mountain of cocaine in the parking lot beforehand, but I vaguely remember windmilling my way through the mosh pit without getting any teeth knocked out. Surviving a Pantera or Slayer pit without losing any teeth or getting anything broken, sliced open, punctured, shattered or ripped off is a good time.

G.B.H. and the Exploited at the Olympic Auditorium in LA circa 1985-6. Guns and Roses at Fender’s Ballroom in Long Beach in 1987.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
Sigh

One month and two days ago…

Around 9:00pm…

The BEST night of my ENTIRE life began.

Red Hot Chili Peppers.

THey rocked, they funked.
I stood the entire time with my hand placed atop my heart, feeling these overwhelming feelings of love and complete and utter happiness.

I downloaded the concert from their website a few days ago and it’s super cool cause you can hear the audience cheering and singing along in the back gound. Which IS ME! I am technically a noise on those recordings.
Sometimes I put on my noise cancelling headphones and tuck myself under my covers, I close my eyes and imagine I’m still there…[/quote]
One of my best was front row to the chili’s and STP. The energy was exhausting

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Husker Du 1988 Philly

Soundgarden 1990 @ Trenton City Gardens

[/quote]

I guess I’m older than you. I saw Husker Du circa 1985 in Seattle at the Gorilla Gardens, great show. I loved Land Speed Record. [/quote]

I’m 50.
I lived in west Philly in '82, and the Huskers played a basement party a block away!

Before this thread opened GWAR came to my mind…and yeah, their songs pretty much are so-so, but the concert experience is unforgettable.

Henry Rollins & The Beastie Boys together in concert remain one of my favorite memories.

If anyone ever gets to be so lucky as be able to meet Anthony Kiedis please tell him that there’s this girl on T-Nation that thinks he’s just the greatest living creature on earth…

And that he should come pop into my workout log and say hi if he gets a chance.

OH and he should answer that tweet I sent him about coming over to watch batman sometime. :S

And that I have 4 red hot chili peppers t-shirts. They are purple, grey, black, and brownish.

Actually no, don’t say that last part cause he might think that was boring.

Just say the first three things.

kthanksbye

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Husker Du 1988 Philly

[/quote]

I guess I’m older than you. I saw Husker Du circa 1985 in Seattle at the Gorilla Gardens, great show. I loved Land Speed Record. [/quote]

I’m 50.
I lived in west Philly in '82, and the Huskers played a basement party a block away!
[/quote]

Ok, you’re a little older. That was the day when you could see great bands play parties and shit, I bet that was a great time.

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:
Before this thread opened GWAR came to my mind…and yeah, their songs pretty much are so-so, but the concert experience is unforgettable.

Henry Rollins & The Beastie Boys together in concert remain one of my favorite memories.

[/quote]

I bet that was a sweet show.

I snuck in with a buddy and saw Black Flag in Seattle in a little VFW hall just before Greg Ginn called it quits and ended the band circa 1986. Henry was–of course–covered in tats and wearing nothing but sub-4 lycra running shorts. Not even any shoes. We were right up front pressed against the stage and my buddy kept flipping him shit about his tats until Henry finally jacked him in the face with the mic stand. The result was 13 fucking stitches over his eye and blood all over my truck during the trip to the ER. That was a good time.

The best concerts I have ever attended were by the same man/god: Keith Jarrett. Both this year, at Carnegie Hall in January, and Symphony Hall in Chicago in April. Keith Jarrett performs solo piano concerts of pure improvisation, with one or two standards. The experience is sublime. Search him on youtube and you will be changed forever, in the most beautiful of ways.

He is undoubtedly the greatest musician ever, arguably the greatest artist across all mediums. He has been performing these concerts since 1970.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Husker Du 1988 Philly

[/quote]

I’m 50.
[/quote]

Ok, you’re a little older. That was the day when you could see great bands play parties and shit, I bet that was a great time.

[/quote]

It was. A ton of great hardcore bands came through Philly in those years.

Fast forward- the wife and I saw Bob Mould solo back in '09. I related that story here in another thread, but it deserves retelling in this thread:

Bob was playing a local bar in Philly (North Star Bar) and my wife and I decided to go. I didn’t know what to expect. Last time I saw Bob live he was FAT and was still in Husker Du. I had all his solo stuff and with Sugar through the 90s, but I hadn’t seen him in 2 decades and didn’t know he trimmed down.

Anyway, the opening act finished their set and cleared the stage. Some skinny bearded bespectacled dude in a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up came out and set up an amp, mic, and effects pedals, then left the stage.
No drums, no bass amp no nothing. Not even a stool. About 20 minutes later, Bob came out (it was he who was the roadie 20 minutes earlier)! I was stunned at how great he looked. He strapped on that guitar and started slashing into some blistering chords of a Sugar song, singing like he meant every word, and the goosebumps took me over! Bob had the most powerful presence and diamond-sharp focus and determination that night. Everyone was feeling it and it just rolled through the crowd to the back of the room and up to the stage again, and he just fed off it.

In all my years seeing live bands, I’ve never seen anything more powerful than that lone figure of Bob Mould ripping through a set of his best work that night.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
If anyone ever gets to be so lucky as be able to meet Anthony Kiedis please tell him that there’s this girl on T-Nation that thinks he’s just the greatest living creature on earth…

And that he should come pop into my workout log and say hi if he gets a chance.

OH and he should answer that tweet I sent him about coming over to watch batman sometime. :S

And that I have 4 red hot chili peppers t-shirts. They are purple, grey, black, and brownish.

Actually no, don’t say that last part cause he might think that was boring.

Just say the first three things.

kthanksbye[/quote]

I’ll be sure to let him know, right after I tell him that everything has been downhill since Blood, Sugar Sex, Magik.

Easy for me w/o a doubt the best experience,

H2O, Murphys Law, Sick of it All - 96 (?) Coney Island High

Others

H20, Fenix TX, Less Than Jake, Rollins Band, Fenix TX (01) Warped Tour

Wu Tang, Ramones, (96) Lallapalooza.

Korn, Biohazard, Rev Horton Heat, House of Pain (94) Roseland Ballroom

The summer when linkin park’s hybrid theory came out, they played inside the rock and roll hof lobby area. Very cool show, before they sold out and started making shit music.

311 concerts are always good too.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

Others

[/quote]

Those shows sound awesome. And man, I love me some Rev. Horton Heat. They used to play all the time in Deep Ellum in Dallas.

[quote]MilesSmiles wrote:
The best concerts I have ever attended were by the same man/god: Keith Jarrett. Both this year, at Carnegie Hall in January, and Symphony Hall in Chicago in April. Keith Jarrett performs solo piano concerts of pure improvisation, with one or two standards. The experience is sublime. Search him on youtube and you will be changed forever, in the most beautiful of ways.

He is undoubtedly the greatest musician ever, arguably the greatest artist across all mediums. He has been performing these concerts since 1970. [/quote]

I saw McCoy Tyner at Yoshi’s in Oakland a while ago, like in 2003 or 2004 I think. Excellent show. I loved what Jarrett did with Miles Davis in 1970. I think he only played with him for a few months but it was great music. Given your avatar, I have to assume you already have the Complete Cellar Door Sessions from 1970, but if you don’t I HIGHLY recommend it.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

Others

[/quote]

Those shows sound awesome. And man, I love me some Rev. Horton Heat. They used to play all the time in Deep Ellum in Dallas.

[/quote]

Rev is awesome! Liquor In The Front, Poker In The Rear!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

Others

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They were great, Ill admit other than hearing of them I had no idea about them. But man they blew my mind at the time and became a fan ever since. Biohazard were kind of dicks, but they still put on a good show, But the Rev, and fucking Korn were amazing. This was Korns first show in NY, never heard them or of them, but when they play blind for the first time it was downright scary. TBH I know most of the crowd never heard of them because most of us were like WTF is a Korn, but man for the time it was a fucking great set.

I know that rap-metal isnt looked upon too fondly but there were a few bands that I liked a ton, I loved Korn and still do.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

Others

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They were great, Ill admit other than hearing of them I had no idea about them. But man they blew my mind at the time and became a fan ever since. Biohazard were kind of dicks, but they still put on a good show, But the Rev, and fucking Korn were amazing. This was Korns first show in NY, never heard them or of them, but when they play blind for the first time it was downright scary. TBH I know most of the crowd never heard of them because most of us were like WTF is a Korn, but man for the time it was a fucking great set.

I know that rap-metal isnt looked upon too fondly but there were a few bands that I liked a ton, I loved Korn and still do.[/quote]

I was really into Faith No More (Mike Patton) way back when. In fact, that Soundgarden show I mentioned previously also had FNM on the bill that night!