T Nation

Best College Student to Housing?

Im looking to get maybe a condo or studio apartment (particularly studio) after my two, or more god forbid, years in a community college. It definitely has to be cheap with pretty good surroundings. Ive been thinking about the following:

• Arizona
  • Texas
  • Kansas
  • any other mid-western states

when I mean good surroundings, i mean this: obviously its cheap to live in st. louis or L.A., but thats gangsterville with high crime everywhere. so a place thats naturally cheap where noone else would live (desert, plains) is my target.

any thoughts?

Hey fella,

I see you live in Calif, I live in San Diego, if you do you know how expensive it is. Still, I don’t think housing should be the main criteria for what college you attend. Go to the college that is going to best help you achieve your goals and deal with the rest.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
Hey fella,

I see you live in Calif, I live in San Diego, if you do you know how expensive it is. Still, I don’t think housing should be the main criteria for what college you attend. Go to the college that is going to best help you achieve your goals and deal with the rest.[/quote]

Agreed- I go to cal Poly SLO and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Beautiful scenery (chicks and the landscape) and a damn good school for what I’m studying. It’s expensive to live there but worth it.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
Go to the college that is going to best help you achieve your goals and deal with the rest.[/quote]

I agree with this, pick a college based on your major. All I know is there is no way you are going to get a condo near ASU unless you have at least $200,000 to spend. There are places you can live for cheap near the school, like the towers, but they are pretty bad. The campus is huge and there is really no entrance or anything. Overall, I don’t think there is scenery at all…except maybe tempe town lake.

thx for the replies but let me make it easier on u guys by laying out a few concerns:

• education is paramount to me; my #1 concern when choosing a school (thx for helping me realize this)
  • girls dont concern me, as well as drinking and bars
  • how cheap the cost of living is
  • as long as I am able to cook my own food, ill b a happy man

kreal, r u sure u need at least 200 grand when buying a condo? what about in a state with a low cost of living?

the thing is, i may not b the person buying the condo; my dad or mom may buy it for me so im trying to find a cheap place to live as to make it easier on them

I’ve lived/worked/traveled/seen basically the entire country from Alaska to Miami, and the best balance for cost of living:income:quality is, and I’ll get flamed for saying this, the south.

Look at the bigger towns only… small southern towns fit all the stereotypes.

I’d still suggest starving for 4-6 years at the best place you can manage (thats part of life!) for the major, but you asked.

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:

kreal, r u sure u need at least 200 grand when buying a condo? what about in a state with a low cost of living?
[/quote]

I’m just telling you how Tempe is. They just built condos near the school and I think they are actually more like $300,000. Then again those are on the water, so of course it would be cheaper other places. These condos were the first that popped into my head. Around the school is generally expensive. Ask yourself how close do you want to be to the school? Are you going to have a car? Parking is an absolute disaster in TEMPE. You have to pay $200 to walk half a mile to the actual campus.

It is good you are factoring education as top importance, but consider more specifically what you are majoring in. ASU is viewed as a joke school, but engineering is rated pretty high across the board, especially biomed.

What is the major you are looking at? If you have any questions just pm me.

Im not exactly sure what i want to major in just yet. however, i do hope it will be a job that involves numbers. some possibilities:

• operations research analyst
  • statistician
  • controller/ treasurer (pretty much finance)
  • astronomer

so ya anything that involves math

one idea i was thinking about is absolutely busting my ass off and transferring to caltech (California Institute of Technology). the thing is, thats in Pasadena (north from my house next to LA) which means it still may be expensive, going there alone is expensive, and only 10% of transferred students get in after a series of tests that last 7 hrs; pretty much a place for brilliantly smart people to go to. however, graduating from there would absolutely mean THE WORLD TO ME, as that it is the 8th most cited research college in the nation. So im not sure yet as to how my future may turn out. any thoughts?