Best Chinese Meal?

Chinadoll,

Ever try Kong Xin Tsai? Awesome greens especially when it cooked in ChengDu with Szechuan peppers.

Cheers,

RW

I lived in Xi’an China for a year, and lost like 30lbs… (partly good, partly bad - I didn’t really work out at ALL there other than skateboarding) I ate whatever the heck I wanted, and drank as much beer as I wanted. Honestly, I felt incredibly healthy - when I came back to the states, I started rock climbing again, and found myself to be in fairly decent shape.

if you’re a bodybuilder eating cuisine from the north, try some yanrou jiaozi (mutton potstickers), or po mou (like chunky, greasy lamb soup with hunks of hard tack in it - LOADS of calories, and good if you’re on low-carb mode because you can eschew the hardtack). Chicken dishes are plentiful, and if you’re having Shanghai food, well, go nuts with the eel, baby!

and as the lady was kind to mention, pickled veggies and steamed cabbage are ubiquitous and can probably be found no matter WHAT cuisine type you’re having. oh! also, vegetarian potstickers (su-jiaozi) are loaded with goodies like spinach, garlic, etc.

What is the name of the salted, hot peppered preserved cabbage? I forget. That’s like chinese HOT-ROX, all the red pepper seems thermogenic!

[quote]knewsom wrote:
I lived in Xi’an China for a year, and lost like 30lbs… (partly good, partly bad - I didn’t really work out at ALL there other than skateboarding) I ate whatever the heck I wanted, and drank as much beer as I wanted. Honestly, I felt incredibly healthy - when I came back to the states, I started rock climbing again, and found myself to be in fairly decent shape.

if you’re a bodybuilder eating cuisine from the north, try some yanrou jiaozi (mutton potstickers), or po mou (like chunky, greasy lamb soup with hunks of hard tack in it - LOADS of calories, and good if you’re on low-carb mode because you can eschew the hardtack). Chicken dishes are plentiful, and if you’re having Shanghai food, well, go nuts with the eel, baby!

and as the lady was kind to mention, pickled veggies and steamed cabbage are ubiquitous and can probably be found no matter WHAT cuisine type you’re having. oh! also, vegetarian potstickers (su-jiaozi) are loaded with goodies like spinach, garlic, etc.

[/quote]

lol, I can’t remember, but I always called it “La si le”, or “hot enough to kill ya”… If that wasn’t hot enough to be thermogenic, then the meaty skewers that they sold on the streets WERE - wow, my stomach is growlin’ thinking about it…

God, I miss China.

I try to make friends with the owners and staff at Chinese restruants, so that they dont serve me the usual Gwei Lo foods, always the better tasting and healtier.
And Stay away from those restruants that sell PTP dishes where you get faux duck and all these foods that look like meats and taste sort of like meats but are textures protein they are soked in so much oil and fat.
Fluffy

PS Chinadoll what part of China is the thermgenic Cabbage dish I dont think I have ever had any.

[quote]Fluffy wrote:
I try to make friends with the owners and staff at Chinese restruants, so that they dont serve me the usual Gwei Lo foods, always the better tasting and healtier.
And Stay away from those restruants that sell PTP dishes where you get faux duck and all these foods that look like meats and taste sort of like meats but are textures protein they are soked in so much oil and fat.
Fluffy

PS Chinadoll what part of China is the thermgenic Cabbage dish I dont think I have ever had any.
[/quote]

The POOR part of China, which makes me thankful for my family being of the less fortunate chinese category, as the best foods are found within that cuisine, like the hot/briney/pickled vegetables, soups, and generally lowfat but very healthy/nutrient dense stuff.

BTW, anybody of chinese ancestry eat Jai on Chinese New Years? I shared it with some caucasian coworkers and had a hard time explaining the stuff…I THINK I EXPLAINED IT ALL WRONG and maybe gave them the wrong impression…I finally settled with the explanation “anything you can gather from a chinese forest, if you were a Monk-- fungus, ginko nuts, black mushrooms, lotus root, flower shoots, bamboo shoots…forest vegetables…and these noodles here we call long rice but I think you guys call them newspaper noodles or rice noodles or something, but they’re actually made from mung beans.”

I think I explained it wrong, but my coworkers are under the impression Jai is a stew of “Forest Vegetables” and were calling it “Forest Vegetables” (I’m such a bad chinese sometimes!).

[quote]knewsom wrote:
I always called it “La si le”, or “hot enough to kill ya.”[/quote]

Bwahaha!

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
Chinadoll,

Ever try Kong Xin Tsai? Awesome greens especially when it cooked in ChengDu with Szechuan peppers.

Cheers,

RW[/quote]

RW, what is another name for it? Sounds really good. I bet I have because we ate all sorts of homegrown cabbages, but maybe had another name for it. Here in Hawaii, our chinese friends’ parents and grandparents from China often grew their own chinese cabbages/spinaches/squashes, and would give them away to other Chinese families whom they were friends with.

Also in Hawaii, the chinese immigrants who came here had slightly different words or ways of saying chinese words…the language changed a little when they left china and started working with the Hawaiians, Caucasians, Puerto Ricans, Portuguese, Filipinos, Japanese and Koreans on the plantations as a way of adapting to the new environment and exposure to different cultures and languages, and much of the adapted, or “Pidgin” chinese language has stuck today.

Also, did you ever notice, your chinese friends and you may have grown up with different chinese names/words for the same things, or slightly different ways of saying them even if their parents are first generation?

Hi Chinadoll
The languages thing is because of sub dialects as well as the mixing of languages, we have the same with Italians living Downunder it’s funny hearing an Italian call the the backyard shed a shedu or sometimes a chinese peson will try and correct my Mandarin which has a Malaisian accent with there fujian accented Mandarin.
Fluffy

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
What is the name of the salted, hot peppered preserved cabbage? I forget. That’s like chinese HOT-ROX, all the red pepper seems thermogenic!

knewsom wrote:

[/quote]

in korea, kimchee (kimchi) is salted fermented cabbage, lots of garlic, and is quite possibly psychoaddictive.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
…Third is a dinner of steamed mullet and a vegetable on the side called Ung Choi…[/quote]

Steamed “mullet?” Eeeww…

[quote]TeeVee69 wrote:
chinadoll wrote:
…Third is a dinner of steamed mullet and a vegetable on the side called Ung Choi…

Steamed “mullet?” Eeeww…[/quote]

Haha