T Nation

Best Chest Builder?

what exercise would one consider to be the overall best chest builder?

Ive read many articles on this sight that regard this topic but still have a little concern: isn’t elbow flaring bad for the shoulders? it seems like the only way for a chest to get stimulated well is if the elbows get flared out.

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:

[/quote]

Heavy dumbbell presses until you are using a weight heavy enough that most people can’t spot you on it.

[/quote]

Pause your benches like a powerlifter. Stay tight at the bottom. Watch your chest grow.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
B.b. in stress! wrote:

Heavy dumbbell presses until you are using a weight heavy enough that most people can’t spot you on it.[/quote]

How heavy would that be? I started at 75 about 10 weeks ago, and I’m up to 100s now, but sadly my gym stops at 100, though the owner has said he would get up to 120s soon.

I have noticed a much better rate of chest development from DBs over BBs, hopefully I can convince the owner to go past 120s when I get there.

[quote]Phatshady912 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
B.b. in stress! wrote:

Heavy dumbbell presses until you are using a weight heavy enough that most people can’t spot you on it.

How heavy would that be? I started at 75 about 10 weeks ago, and I’m up to 100s now, but sadly my gym stops at 100, though the owner has said he would get up to 120s soon.

I have noticed a much better rate of chest development from DBs over BBs, hopefully I can convince the owner to go past 120s when I get there.
[/quote]

I would hope most guys who have been training for a couple of years can press more than the 100lbs dumbbells for a couple of reps. I would assume there are far fewer using the 140lbs dumbbells and higher.

Honestly, why did you ask the question? 100lbs dumbbells are so heavy that no one can spot you on them correctly?

I did wide grip bench a day or two ago and I noticed my chest looks thicker. Im also still sore from it, I never get sore from benching.

I’ve had good results with wide grip barbell neck presses–like a normal bench press, except you flare your elbows and bring the bar down to your neck/upper chest.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Phatshady912 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
B.b. in stress! wrote:

I would hope most guys who have been training for a couple of years can press more than the 100lbs dumbbells for a couple of reps. I would assume there are far fewer using the 140lbs dumbbells and higher.

Honestly, why did you ask the question? 100lbs dumbbells are so heavy that no one can spot you on them correctly?[/quote]

There is no max weight to be spotted. There is a point where they cant grab them both off you at the same time when your done. Thats about 80lbs probably(for me anyway), depending on the plates.

But you’d want a chest before you got to lifing that weight.

[quote]Phatshady912 wrote:
How heavy would that be? I started at 75 about 10 weeks ago, and I’m up to 100s now…[/quote]

While you’re waiting on the 120 lb-ers, you can start working towards a full ROM. Start with the 80s or 85s and work your way back up.

I would say Incline and Flat Dumbbell bench…i can use 120-130lbs DBs on flat bench for about 5 reps, and my chest development has definitely exploded in doing so…also Decline flyes superset with decline bench is also a nice chest builder i have noticed for myself…but thats me…but yes, go heavy and your chest will definitely get bigger and thicker, and stronger

In shugarts massachusetts seminar he mentioned CT ‘created’ a great chest builder, but no one does it because it requires you to use light weights.

Do bench presses with a wide grip, but bring the bar to your neck.

Ive read many articles on this sight that regard this topic but still have a little concern: isn’t elbow flaring bad for the shoulders? it seems like the only way for a chest to get stimulated well is if the elbows get flared out.[/quote]

1. Grab a fork.
  2. Use it to eat.

Seriously, no one has mentioned dips?

I said this in another post.

Heavy DB bench for sure. It’s way easier on the shoulders too. Just make sure no one is going to get pissed if you curl/drop them down when you are done. Getting them back on your knees and sitting up is harder than the set!

Wide-grip benches

Incline dumbbell bench presses (palms facing each other)

Gironda Dips

Various dumbbell flyes

The best chest builder? A combination of every movement posted on this thread. Flat, incline, barbell, dumbbell, dips, wide grip, narrow grip, to the neck, to the nipple. It’s a matter of consistently doing all of them and consistently striving to add weight, increase reps, and bring the intensity, bring the pain, and bring the growth!

D

[quote]T234 wrote:
Heavy DB bench for sure. It’s way easier on the shoulders too. Just make sure no one is going to get pissed if you curl/drop them down when you are done. Getting them back on your knees and sitting up is harder than the set! [/quote]

Why does everybody have a problem getting DBs back on their knees? This should be the first technique you learn when using DBs. As you progress in weight, your technique will automatically progress to handle the extra weight.

edit- I obviously don’t think EVERYBODY has this problem.

I can’t do this on my last couple sets or on the decline bench.

Look out baby!

I have to say without a doubt that my best chest builder is heavy ass dips.

grap that chain belt and load it down.

my chest feels like it is going to pop after 4 or 5 sets of heavy dips.

[quote]ShaneM686 wrote:
I can’t do this on my last couple sets or on the decline bench.

Look out baby![/quote]

I can understand decline, but why not on your others?

Focus on the basics like Heavy Barbell and DB Bench Press Variations. In addition (not instead of) throw in some Cable and DB Flyes; CT’s articles cover different variations and ways to do them.