Best Cardio While Gaining Mass

I heard somewhere its sprints what do you guys think?

yes its one of the best

Sprints, HIIT, barbell complexes, Tabatas, anything that gets your heartbeat up several times in a row and doesn’t take too long.

Is HIIT, or any cardio, recommended while on a bulk?

i dont do bulk but i do a lot of high intensity stuff i find its great for maintaining muscle mass and shredding. . dont like long drawn out cardio. feel flat and sapped after. . hide in the changing rooms when doin any cardio haha

a high intensity sprint session or two a week wont hurt JUST make it as intense as possible and short as possible and get out of there

8-10 mins intervals on a rower
20 -30m sprints 7-8 sets starting with about a min recovery in between and gradually reducing rest over the weeks until 10 secs rest and increase sets again dont let it drag on . . limit to about 10-15 minutes (not including warm up of course). . . sorted

How does doing 10 50m sprints in 20 mins sound?

Should you walk in between sprints or jog?

wayyyy too much recovery in there u’d be lookin at guts of a minute and 50secs recovery after each sprint. and that said i hope u can do 50 in less than 10 secs. . .

id stick with the shorter distance also or even do 25 out and 25 return . .
beauty of doing short sprints is that its all acceleration and not much high end speed and momentum.

still 50 meters but decceleration and acceleration in there will make it tougher keep to the minute recovery week one. . . 50 secs week 2 etc

oh just recover walk around. . if legs feel heavy give them a shake. . you shouldnt want to jog anyway if your sprinting maximally

It is kinda cold out, do you burn less when you sweat less? If you burn less when you sweat less, should I do sprints on the treadmill?

[quote]HOUSTON TEXAN wrote:
It is kinda cold out, do you burn less when you sweat less? If you burn less when you sweat less, should I do sprints on the treadmill?[/quote]

When it’s cold your body shivers to try to warm itself, shivering requires energy(calories).

[quote]Scott M wrote:
HOUSTON TEXAN wrote:
It is kinda cold out, do you burn less when you sweat less? If you burn less when you sweat less, should I do sprints on the treadmill?

When it’s cold your body shivers to try to warm itself, shivering requires energy(calories). [/quote]

It is not that cold outside. It will be probably between 48-58 tomorrow.

Ha! It’ been single digits that last couple of days here … I think I need to move.

it doesnt matter how much u sweat. . its just water. . . if your training at the same intensity you will get the same response. .
i cant see you shivering if your sprinting properly. . .you’ll be a little distracted breathing heavily and you could wrap up well wear a wind breaker . . the extra clothes will add weight and restriction and make it harder aswell

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Ha! It’ been single digits that last couple of days here … I think I need to move.[/quote]

Yeah me too, it was 8 degrees when I went to class Monday.

Do you get an ocean effect? Where I live, we get a “lake” effect from Huron.

Ok, I did 40 yard sprints today for 20 mins. Basically what I did was sprinted, walked back, then sprinted again for 20 mins. I don’t feel as exhausted as I did from my 4 mile runs but my legs do feel tired. Is this good?

have fun?! :slight_smile:

you arent neccessarily looking for exhaustion your looking for EPOC and calories burned after due to an accelerated metabolism. . its not the calories burned in the session its the metebolic response you are looking for. . .

session sounds good. . . next try sprinting and staying ‘on the toes’ on the way back but taking the same amount of time to return as before. . .

Time your sprints and make each one a little faster than the previous one. You should feel your lungs rip out of your chest.

they should all be maximal so theoretically unless u have an unbelievable lactate threshold and anaerobic recovery they will actually get slower. . . if sprinting maximally. . .

i know this isnt a test but i only ever witnessed one person EVER improving their time on an anaerobic threshold test over 8 mins never mind 20. . thats like saying u would be able to rep your one rep max for 20 mins . .

Yeah, I play football I know what its like to go all out, and I was going all out on every sprint.