T Nation

Best Cardio When Bulking?

what type of cardio should be done when bulking?

I guess it depends on what your training for? But i would suggest ‘not much’ if your really trying to bulk.
Although if your training for a sport of something you may have to keep up a high level of fitness so it goes back to the question: what are you training for?

Best cardio when bulking = none

Ill only do cardio on my days off of lifting while bulking. Personally since I cant stand jogging or anything to monotonous Ill go run sprints and do some agility and jumping drills. Walking isnt bad either, but Ill only do it outside. Treadmills are Satan’s creation.

Cosgrovian complex…look it up biotch

Sprinting is great. I’m a firm believer that it actually promotes anabolism. Sprinters have massive quads. No need to go overboard with it. You still want to stay in a caloric surplus.

Don’t be afraid of stuff that’s hard. That philosophy works with any goal in life, and it also applies well to dieting, bulking, training for an event, etc. of course you also have to be smart about it, and do what makes sense, but some sprinting and HIIT up to 2X a week each won’t kill your gains. If they do though, then cut back. Complexes and or Tabata method, or anything else that is ‘Hard’ also works. Anything that you want to quit halfway through will work nicely.

Notes on

sprinting: ~1000-2000** meters in total, using combinations of 50s to 200s, maybe even a 400 or two
HIIT: Keep it under 15-20 min and make it hard
Tabata: Front squat read yesterday’s article
Complexes: examples are all over this site if you can figure out the search function

** only go up to 2000 meters if you are doing a couple 400s

A couple of sessions of sprinting should be enoguh. This will help with your fitness and heart health. Just make sure to up your calories to make sure you are in a calorie surplus so you can grow. I think a small amount of intense cardio actually helps with bulking whilst also helping intense weight sessions due to the fitness benefits.

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:
Best cardio when bulking = none[/quote]

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Sprinting is great. I’m a firm believer that it actually promotes anabolism. Sprinters have massive quads. No need to go overboard with it. You still want to stay in a caloric surplus. [/quote]

This

And depending on how you do on bulks, maybe a day or 2 of fasted morning low intensity cardio could be added, It helps me keep fat gains to a minimum on bulks, but I also blow up like the pillsbuy dough boy if I dont monitor my food and exercise reigmen.