T Nation

Best Cardio to Compliment Fighting?

Lengthy enough to demand good aerobic capacity if you want to finish it. But hitting a throw / takedown / tough sub halfway through the match when you’re already breathing heavily has little to do with your steady-state aerobic capability and everything to do with your anaerobic capability. The point is that you need both to be effective

People get heated here.
We have discussed this many many times…
but its fun isn’t it?

Im gonna say - all training modalities have some merit.
road work may be ancient- but tabata protocol didn’t exist til 1996 at the earliest.
People did not hit mitts till maybe 15-20 years ago.
old school pro fighters did not train year round
and road work - well you got to start somewhere cant sprint til you can run a little before.
breath and weight cutting- two huge factors.
the breath work from road work is similar to yogic breathing
read into that what you like but dont dismiss it.

if you routinely cut allot of weight- your doing road work.
I wrestled in college in the early nineties- and did international greco in the mid 90’s - everyone did road work just saying.
and we did a shit ton of it and shit ton of sprints and hills and swims and bike and rowing machine
it need’nt be slow - at all I did a 10 -13 mile run thats 16 to 20 km 5-6 days a week. I did that in under an hour for the ten mile and maybe 1 hour 15 to an hour 18 minutes for a 13 mile or half marathon.

its just what we did and we did ALOT.
different times.

sadly even on t nation - or any other training focused - strength training - that is - there is no metrix, NONE for fighting
other then did you make weight and did you win.

thats it.

Yes of course there is more-
did you do better-
feel good?
have good flow- arrive relatively uninjured- and of course personal growth- did you you improve - win or lose.
( and yes perhaps personal growth is the most important)
unless you are on scholarship and or do it for the cash.

that being said.
no one - ok maybe like 2 percent of the peeople on here are making a living training people to fight -
or fighting professionally
we have had a few -
over the years.

so dont shut down other theories.

No theories, let’s use basic sports physiology, as I assume most people here would master since we even have world-class trainers.

Dismissing aerobic work or “ground work” for fighting could be detrimental simply to the fact that a good aerobic base will improve the citric acid cycle and oxygen apport:

• wastes from the anaerobic lactic pathway will be treated faster and as such, less lactic acid and hydrogen ion buildup → you can sustain this effort longer

• phosphocreatine will be replenished faster → you can sustain longer the anaerobic alactic pathway or use it again faster

So yeah, fighting is mostly anaerobic, but if you neglect the aerobic component that’s too bad because you might leave some gains on the table

I train with Guadeloupe ancient boxing champion in 4 weight classes, and sure he’s an outlier in aerobic capacity, but his last half-marathon was 1h14

2 Likes

People have been hitting mitts for much longer than 15-20 years… but agree with the rest of your points.

Zecarlo is right, success leaves clues. Running and rope skipping are the best ways to build stamina for fighting, and maybe even athletics in general. The older I get the more I appreciate that fact.

1 Like

5-10 minutes depending on skill level. A portion of the match = getting set up for a takedown, the portion on the floor where you try to submit your opponent heavily relies on anaerobic capacity.

Boxing is far more anaerobic than most give it credit to be

Muay Thai at higher levels is generally 5x3 minute rounds with 2 minute rest breaks. Largely anaerobic, though aerobic fitness factors in too. You’d be better off running all out 400-1500 metre intervals as opposed to running 5-10k.

my future brother in law is a wrestler. He placed second in the European Championship till 16 years old at 92 kg. He did it with a torn rotator.

Anyway they run 5 k for warm up.

Since I have some experience with boxing. Heavy bag is really the best you can do for conditioning. Some hard punching as well. Start with 3 rounds x 2 mins. Build up to 10-15 3 min rounds of intensive hard punching.