Best Burner/Finisher?

Anyone have a good burner/finisher they like:

I could use one for my chest, biceps and back

Chest? 70% to failure on last set of flat bench. Followed by 2x20 DB flat and DB incline. Followed by triceps high reps and drop sets.

Biceps, I’ve found hammer curls to give me the best results. I don’t do burnout sets for bies often but I personally invented “big rig” (my powerlifting nickname) curls. Here they are…
easy bar curls, 10 on each side for 5 reps, take all the rest you want between sets going up. keep adding 10 pound plates until you run out of room on the bar or cant hit the set of 5 then one no rest dropset back down to the bar.

When I do the curls like that I don’t do any other biceps that day, that’s it. Quick and easy and yields 20" arms.

back I like dropset rows.

It doesn’t have to be rocket science. Pick a light/moderate weight and do AMRAP. Push ups for chest is perfectly fine. Do 100 reps in the least amount of sets possible. If you’re like me and haven’t done them in a while then it’ll be like quintuple rest/pause training.

For back, do the same with pull ups or inverted BW rows. I’ve also used partial reps on cable rows. 10 first half/10 second half/10 full. Drop sets are also good for chasing the pump.

Try alternating between AMRAP on push ups and inverted BW rows. Do 3-5 rounds as fast as possible and keep track of your reps. Try to beat it next time. I’m sure you’ll have a nice pump when you’re done. You also might want to puke.

2 Likes

WOD Roulette (phone app) is useful here. One of my favorites is

Burpees
Assault Bike Calories
3-6-9-12-…

AMRAP 10 minutes.

You’ll be drenched and sucking wind if you push yourself.

*Obviously not necessarily what you’re looking for, but just one I like as an example of what the app has.

For whatever major muscle group I’ve worked that today, I’ll jump on a machine and do a massive drop set all the way down the stack.

1 Like

Chest: pushups with chains on your back. Go to failure, remove a chain, go to failure, etc until you fail with BW.

Back: I don’t like “finishers” for lats. Never had any success with them; all they ever did was give me a great bicep pump. For traps, farmer walk or DB shrugs for max time (keep the weight moving or held in top position the entire time).

Biceps: If you have a training partner of similar strength, handoff curls can be fun. Start at 1 rep each (you do 1, hand the bar to your buddy, he does 1), then go up to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and back down until somebody fails.

If you don’t have a partner, just run the rack with DB curls or hammer curls. It’s pretty simple.

I like to finish chest with cable crossovers superset with pushups. 4 sets, 20 rep crossovers and max pushups. I just never felt like anything tore my chest apart like crossovers did.

Back - 15 reps of straight arm pulldowns with the rope, superset with 15 reps of lat pulldowns, wide grip. Or if you have a pullover machine, drop set on that.

Biceps - 21s.

If i’m burning out, I’m spending every second not lifting flexing the shit out of the target muscles until they nearly cramp up.

These are good…