Best Breed of Dog for Excessive Exercise?

What would be the best breed of dog for a couple who are going to be taking it on 6-10 mile runs both on road but usually off road on trails or in the hills?

My girlfriend has started a tradition where she picks an event every year and uses it as a goal to train hard for all year. She goes running every other day, usually 6-10 miles, mainly off road but at least once a week on the roads.

For the last 2 months I have been slowly building up, I started with 15 minutes off road trails and have built up to around 1 hour. I have started running 6 miles every other day and doing calisthenics inbetween. I will be adding volume to that when it gets closer to september 2015 when I am doing my first event.

We both want a dog for the following reasons:

My girlfriend goes running while I am at work, she runs alone, often in the dark, something I don’t particularly like however hopefully I am just being over protective.

We both want a dog after not getting one for ages because we had not moved in together yet, now the time is right and we can look after one properly.

We have no children or other pets.

Any recommendations for best breed for this role?

We have only done a bit of research so far but we have seen Rhodesian Ridgebacks, German Shepherds, Boxer, Labrador, Husky, Malamute all be reccomended.

Just be careful with the energetic breeds as if you slack off, they’ll get bored and your yard/furniture will be victim number 1.

Any dog aside from the giants will keep up with you. Find a temperament you like. I wouldn’t go a boxer if you’re not up for shenanigans for example.

[quote]Normsky wrote:
What would be the best breed of dog for a couple who are going to be taking it on 6-10 mile runs both on road but usually off road on trails or in the hills?

My girlfriend has started a tradition where she picks an event every year and uses it as a goal to train hard for all year. She goes running every other day, usually 6-10 miles, mainly off road but at least once a week on the roads.

For the last 2 months I have been slowly building up, I started with 15 minutes off road trails and have built up to around 1 hour. I have started running 6 miles every other day and doing calisthenics inbetween. I will be adding volume to that when it gets closer to september 2015 when I am doing my first event.

My girlfriend goes running while I am at work, she runs alone, often in the dark, something I don’t particularly like however hopefully I am just being over protective.

We both want a dog after not getting one for ages because we had not moved in together yet, now the time is right and we can look after one properly.

We have only done a bit of research so far but we have seen Rhodesian Ridgebacks, German Shepherds, Boxer, Labrador, Husky, Malamute all be reccomended.

[/quote]

I was watching a documentary last night on Siberia and the Huskies ran for 100 miles along a snow mobile without a problem

[quote]Normsky wrote:

[/quote]

I was watching a documentary last night on Siberia and the Huskies ran for 100 miles along a snow mobile without a problem

[quote]Normsky wrote:

[/quote]

I would say most any dog other than the very large/heavy or the squashed in face varieties (i.e. Pugs etc) would likely serve you well enough. Some are obviously better than others, but I expect you’ll get more benefit from selecting the best long term companion (temperament) than the best running partner (athleticism). I love malamutes, but unless you live somewhere cold overheating may be an issue.

Also, regarding the idea that your dog will protect your girlfriend, he may act as a visual deterrent but honestly the average family dog is a piss poor protector. The traits that make a good protection dog are specifically the traits that are bred/socialized out of family dogs. By all means bring the dog with, but don’t allow it to foster a false sense of security.

Good situational awareness, decent training and some kind of a weapon system will provide more mileage from a personal safety standpoint than Fido.

Rhodesian Ridgebacks could hang with that, they have short coats, intelligent, strong. I don’t think they are super high energy, remember 10 miles for a working dog isn’t really work for them… A lab or retreiver, or pointer would be good for that as well.

Malmute, huskies are more akin to border collies etc… have retard energy. They can go all day long as long as you keep them fed, and it’s a challenge to keep them occupied…

Yeah that’s what a lot of people have said in runners threads.

That is one of the reasons I want to get the right breed. There is a well known breeder who sells tibetan mastiffs in Wales a dog renowned for their protection skills but generally soft around kids and visitors.

I don’t want a APBT because they are subject to laws here where if anyone reports you own one it can be incinerated, plus I just don’t trust them, On my esate where I used to live there were 5 seperate incidents of pittbulls really hurting people.

I have been browsing dog and runners forums and watching videos. The best breeds for borth protection and athletacism are becoming clear.

Rhodesian ridgeback - They are called the Navy Seals of dogs by dog enthusiasts. In threads on dog sites anyone asking about dogs for endurance runners are told flat out get a Rhodesian ridgeback. I first heard it on the dogs 101 video for them but after some internet browsing this seems legit.

Qualities attributed to it:

Can keep up with a horse over a 30 mile radius
Impervious to insect bites
Mixed with mastiffs, great danes and wild African dogs bred for size and athletacism
Bred to hunt lions
one of the healthiest breeds

I did like the idea of a Malamute but looking at their profile I keep seeing hard to train. This will be my and my girlfriends first dog, we don’t want to be irresponsible and get a particularly unruly breed we can not control.

Great choice, he’ll be a good deterrent and very loyal

Rhodesian should be perfect. That amount of work will keep a Rhodesian happy… I really think the things said about them being stubborn has to do with them not being exercised or worked enough, they need more than just a daily walk… People who tend to have problems with them are the homebody sort that don’t do the sort of activities you are talking about.

The difficulty in training wolfy dogs like the malmute and husky is what I appreciate about those dogs. They have crazy drive for food and prey, seem to have a wild but friendly aspect about their nature. More of a dog that will get into trouble if left to it’s own devices, easily distracted, trickster/ prankster all that.

do you plan to hold a lead while running? doing so for 6-10 miles sounds very uncomfortable assuming you are going at any pace above slow.

running without a dog on a lead sounds impossible how do you plan on them staying close to you the whole way without wandering off etc?

I do it now sometimes with my mums dog, I take it out for her a lot since my father passed away. It is easy as long as it has even a little bit of training.

Where I run he follows. Problem is he is ancient now so He can’t go more than twice a week on big runs without siezing up.

I’ve never tried one, but If I were going to be doing much running with a dog on leash I would think one of the hands-free runner’s leashes might be worth at least looking into.

[quote]Severiano

The difficulty in training wolfy dogs like the malmute and husky is what I appreciate about those dogs. They have crazy drive for food and prey, seem to have a wild but friendly aspect about their nature. More of a dog that will get into trouble if left to it’s own devices, easily distracted, trickster/ prankster all that.

[/quote]

100% agree. I had a dog who was 90% wolf 10% husky. Wolf hybrids can be very problematic, but she was awesome. Smartest animal I’ve ever known, hands down. Had a definite sense of humour and would absolutely mess with you for fun. She could open doors and spell, seriously.

She would do what she was told, mostly. However, only after her own decision making process like, “Hmm… Well, I’m not busy right now, so sure man, I guess I’ll sit.” She was definitely your friend, but that intense doggy desire to please was just not there. She saw me as dominant, but only just. She was aloof if not protective with strangers and very standoffish with other dogs. Prey drive was off the charts.

Very challenging, but the best damn dog I ever had. Definitely not for everyone though.

You want a working dog of some sort. There are many breeds that have high energy and exercise needs. What you find with a lot of high energy working breeds is a temperamental, revellious streak(working dogs are used to order and authority). Some breeds are also manic in their energy like the kelpie. A Dalmatian is pretty calm but they were bred to run long distances aside firetrucks so that would be a good choice for a dog with high energy yet without the hyperactive mania and without the rebellious streak brought out by lack of authority and order.

Vizslas make excellent running partners. If you have them expend enough energy they make great well mannered companions as well

Boxer.

See pics in this thread plus training and diet regimen (pages 34 and 35 of thread).

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/the_predator_program?id=5991837&pageNo=33

The German shorthaired pointers I’ve hunted with could run all day. And that is often through thick brush and hilly terrain.

Not a bull terrier.

tweet