Best Bench Angle for Skullcrushers?

I’m partial to the decline skullcrusher, as I feel it increases ROM and works the triceps in a manner that places stress on each insertion point.

I’d like to hear some other opinions on flat vs decline vs incline.

Any thoughts?

Ryan

Worth noting that JM has a vid of the incline verson: Incline Skull Crushers - YouTube

I (a) honestly haven’t really experimented and (b) am probably not big enough to comment.

I think you are spot on with the decline.

While this is a great exercise, I have found them to tear up my elbows way too easily, especially when using heavier weights. I have had to adjust them and now bring the bar near to my chin/mouth area rather than by my forehead/nose area. That small adjustment seems to help.

I always heard when you do a decline bring the bar behind your head , theres less stress on the elbow joint. When you do it on the incline you get a bigger stretch but possibly more stress on the elbow.

I’ve performed flat, incline, and decline variations, and come to believe that the angle of the torso is meaningless. The focus should be on the angle maintained with the limbs during the movement.

If the arms are focused on an angle where they are behind the head at the extension portion of the ROM, tension will be preserved on the triceps. So long as you’re allowing for a full stretch at angle angle, you should get the most bang from the movement regardless of how you’ve positioned the bench.

S

My personal thoughts on the decline:

There’s a great chance that if you’re ever trained your triceps, you’ve used the traditional flat bench skullcrusher exercise.

There’s also a great chance that you haven’t tried that same movement while in a declined position. Maybe you’re asking; why the decline?

From a mechanical standpoint, the decline position will allow for a larger range of motion. This increase in ROM will increase the stretching of the triceps during each rep. Using a fuller ROM and achieving an active stretch during a set of an exercise are two good things.

As you perform the decline skullcrusher, you’ll also notice that your triceps will be working from both ends, or insertion points. This doesn’t typically happen with a flat bench skullcrusher, which can be a downfall of the flat variation.

Overall, I believe the decline skullcrusher to be superior to the flat variation and I recommend giving it a shot!

I prefer the incline with DBs, but I wonder if the rotation of the hand changes the head emphasis? Cant really tell.

Agree with decline. More stretch/ROM and going behind the head puts much less stress on the elbows.

I’m with Stu.

whether you are flat or decline, the positioning the upper arm (bicep tricep part of the arm) is what is going to have the most effect on where the tension is and there is no difference in range of motion from what I can see or feel.

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:
Agree with decline. More stretch/ROM and going behind the head puts much less stress on the elbows.[/quote]

I just have to say you are getting. Big man. Like ridiculously big. and still staying pretty damn lean and aesthetic.

Are you even thinking about competing?

I think you can make waves man you are who everyone talks about when they say you need the right genetics to be successful.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

Agree with decline. More stretch/ROM and going behind the head puts much less stress on the elbows.[/quote]

I just have to say you are getting. Big man. Like ridiculously big. and still staying pretty damn lean and aesthetic.

Are you even thinking about competing?

I think you can make waves man you are who everyone talks about when they say you need the right genetics to be successful.[/quote]

Thanks, man, though I honestly doubt I’m much bigger than you. I’m only 220lbs, lol. I will say, though, if progress continues the way it is currently and I don’t get injured again somehow like I did last year, I probably will compete.

if progress continues the way it is currently and I don’t get injured again somehow like I did last year, I probably will compete.[/quote]

^Yeah Buddy!

S

i’ve never had a problem with flat skullcrushers

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
[/quote]

Most people don’t.

[/quote]

Guess who’s back.

[/quote]

Lunk alarm?

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

Lunk alarm?[/quote]

hell yeah, up loading it now

I always feel a bigger stretch if my elbows go behind my head. I think the long head isn’t tight enough to contract unless your elbows go back.

Hate to give a generic response but I feel this falls under the whatever works best for you category.

[quote]HotShot818 wrote:
Hate to give a generic response but I feel this falls under the whatever works best for you category.[/quote]

What doesn’t?