Best Belt?

Whats the best belt for deads/squats. My belt is broken and I need a new one. Should I go with a lever or another buckle? Thanks

jt

My advice to you is to ditch the belt altogether. Belts will weaken your abdominals and spinal erectors-they basically become “lazy”. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the belt.

I would always wear a belt for work above 85% your abs will get stronger until you get to that point.

I mean, who’s got stronger abs the guy that squats 800 with a belt or the guy that squats 400 without one?

I like buckle, single prong.

Any of the major powerlifting companies make good belts, there’s not a whole lot of difference between them, to the best of my knowledge, just how think you want it.

I like mine >10mm thick.

So, one should (not) use a belt with the same philosophy that one should (not) use lifting straps?

[quote]jthomas wrote:
Whats the best belt for deads/squats. My belt is broken and I need a new one. Should I go with a lever or another buckle? Thanks

jt[/quote]

I’ve got an Inzer 10mm double prong buckle and I love it.

Well if he is gonna compete I don’t see any reason not to use a belt on maximal lifts. I’m training for my first contest on July 15, and I occassionally use the belt on a 1RM. I’m still not sure how much it helps me but I’m sure I’ll use it in the comp for my squat and maybe my dead.

BTW, I just got one from Elitefts.com.

DD

Here’s my 2 cents…don’t get a lever belt unless you’ve used one before. I’ve always been a prong belt guy last christmas my outrageously amazing wife bought me a lever belt. It doesn’t wrap you like a prong belt because the leather overlap happens on the inside vs the outside on a buckle. This makes for a wierd “mass” on the body side. If your using a powerlifting belt the way you should (really tight) it feels like your smuggling a cell phone in there.

[quote]MichaelJohnson wrote:
My advice to you is to ditch the belt altogether. Belts will weaken your abdominals and spinal erectors-they basically become “lazy”. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the belt.

[/quote]

Yet another bullshit piece of lifting lore than has been passed down from generation to generation…
This is completely false.

My personal choice…Inzer 10mm Lever Belt. Guaranteed forever. I broke my lever recently and it was replaced for free. Just as good, or better, quality than any other company’s belt but a bit less expensive. $60 for a great belt that has a lifetime guarantee is not a bad investment.

Any of the Inzer belts are good. The single prong belts, they’re a classic, and they aren’t too expensive.

Don’t use belts for everything though, when going for 1-3 RM’s doing squats/deadlifts wear it.