T Nation

Best Bar for Layering System?

Christian:

I love the knurling on the dead-squat bar & would like a straight bar that’s just as awesome. Eleiko has an Olympic bar, an olympic competition bar, & a sports bar (supposed to be good for a variety of lifting), I am not familiar with their bars. What would the best bar be for the layer system? I’d pretty much be using it for incline tilt, front squats, & high pulls.

I’d love to progress to a full snatch when my mobility allows me too. I’m really just looking to buy the best one time around. Thank you for your time & input. Btw I’m loving the results from the layer system my body is really changing even though I have been working out for years :slight_smile:

Sput, not CT but get a Pendley Olympic bar, It can do what you want to do and they are less expensive than an Eleiko bar. My gym has a couple of old York Olympic bars with the old entirely smooth center and I use it for all my presses and snatch grip high pulls.

The Eleiko olympic lifting bar is the top of the line when it comes to bars. The knurling on the Dead-Squat bar is actually modelled on the Eleiko knurling.

If high pulls and eventually the olympic lifts are to be a big part of your plan, I recommend an olympic lifting bar which has a slightly smaller diameter.

Regarding the Pendlay bar, if you go with the bearing Pendlay bar (not the bushing one), it is also a very good bar, but with a slightly softer knurling. I have one and it works really well.

The only downside with a competition olympic lifting bar is that it bends a bit more, which can negatively affect bench pressing (which is why powerlifting bars are a bit stiffer).

CT so the Eleiko olympic is the one with a smaller diameter?I’m in the same boat as sput and being a short guy with small hands i can really tell when i grip a bar that’s a tad smaller,just feel’s better.I also have the dead squat bar and love the knurling.

[quote]jppage wrote:
CT so the Eleiko olympic is the one with a smaller diameter?I’m in the same boat as sput and being a short guy with small hands i can really tell when i grip a bar that’s a tad smaller,just feel’s better.I also have the dead squat bar and love the knurling.[/quote]

Any bar made for olympic lifting is 2mm smaller in diameter. It also has no center knurling (where the neck would be during a squat).

Thank you CT. I’m thinking maybe the sport training bar maybe a better fit since I’d be bench pressing with it too.

[quote]sput79 wrote:
Thank you CT. I’m thinking maybe the sport training bar maybe a better fit since I’d be bench pressing with it too.[/quote]

It seems to be the same grip diameter as their olympic lifting bar