Best Atari Game?

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
My wife still plays Pac Man. We have a flashplayer version on our desktop. It keeps playing the same level over and over, and repeats after getting a key.

She plays it constantly…still. I guess that’s why I didn’t think of it as an Atari game.[/quote]

It’s not an Atari game, Atari simply got the rights for the home versions. Pac-Man was a Midway game.

If you like Pac-Man & family, you should get the M.A.M.E arcade emulator with a few ROMs and play the real thing on your PC.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Professor X wrote:
In fact, the fact that none of you mentioned the legendary game of Pac Man makes me wonder about a few of you.

Er, have you ever played Pac-Man on the 2600? I don’t think you did, 'cause if you had, you’d know why no one ever mentioned it. The ghosts flickered so badly, you could hardly see them and had trouble telling when they were blue. The music was atrocious. Not to mention that the maze was all wrong. Calling that game Pac-Man was like calling Pong a faithful Arkanoid clone.

I’m sure that in a “Worst 2600 Game?” thread, it would get mentioned repeatedly.[/quote]

I was a kid. All I know is that it had the name “Atari” on it. What number it was, I don’t know. I do remember needing a screw driver just to attach it to the television. That joystick was also one big son of a bitch.

Hell, every game was just digital blocks moving up and down anyway. I remember the amazing artwork on those game packages only to get it home and see what was supposed to be Superman literally “dot” across the screen with three red dots for the cape, one white dot for his head, and bunch of blue dots for his costume. Gawd, my imagination must have been world class.

Superman. Kept me up for days. One day, I will figure out why.

Damn big joysticks? That’s the 2600 alright.

A lot of those simple games were more fun than some of the “reality simulator” we’re getting nowadays. Actual gameplay was more important than graphics back then.

[quote]Smakm wrote:
Pitfall
Missle Command
Kaboom
Defender

There was a game I can’t remember the name of. Basically you shot crap that fell down from the top of the screen rapidly (unlike Space Invaders). I remember some of the falling stuff resembled mutated chocolate chip cookies. [/quote]

I think that was Meglomania.

[quote]Smakm wrote:
Pitfall
Missle Command
Kaboom
Defender

There was a game I can’t remember the name of. Basically you shot crap that fell down from the top of the screen rapidly (unlike Space Invaders). I remember some of the falling stuff resembled mutated chocolate chip cookies. [/quote]

I think that was Meglomania.

Missle Command was my all time favorite.

“Er, have you ever played Pac-Man on the 2600? I don’t think you did, 'cause if you had, you’d know why no one ever mentioned it. The ghosts flickered so badly, you could hardly see them and had trouble telling when they were blue” - yeah, we used to turn it to black and white when we played pac man.
Pitfall and Kaboom were great. Wasn’t Qbert on there too?

Kaboom, Defender were great. And Pacman was only playable if you switched to black and white

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Superman. Kept me up for days. One day, I will figure out why.[/quote]

I remember looking EVERYWHERE for “Superman” and couldn’t find it. You were lucky, Professor X. Very, very lucky.

More games off the top of my head: Defender, Yar’s Revenge, Berzerk!, The Empire Strikes Back, Q-Bert, Galaxian, and Spider-Man. Ooh yeah, Jungle Hunt. I like it a lot better than Pitfall!, since the game actually had an end.

Pac-Man was awful. Shitty graphics and I also had to play it in black and white. Ms. Pac-Man was 10 times better! Okay, this is Atari we’re talking about. Um, 4 times better.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
Oh yea, and Berzerk was pretty good too.

Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert![/quote]

Holy flashback!!

I remember that one.