Best Accesory Exercises for the Powerlifts

I am looking to start building my powerlifts with the aim of one day competing locally. Currently using a max effort/dynamic day split.

BW 145lbs

Deadlift - 380
Bench - 190
Squat - 230

Not impressive by any means but im really looking to boost these numbers. I wondered if anyone knew any good accessory exercises for these weaknesses:

1)Deadlift at the bottom (getting off the floor)
2)Middle portion of the bench (other than 2 board presses)
3)Out of the hole in the squat

I appreciate im new to all this so just looking for any advice you experienced vets might have.

TIA

Chig

1. Speed pulls and deficit pulls, GHR’s, RDL’s.
  2. Pin Presses, JM Presses.
  3. Paused squats, RDL, Deep Good Mornings, Box Squats.

Get stronger hamstrings/glutes that’ll help 1/3. Stronger triceps and more speed will help with 3.

thanks appreciate it, someone else mentioned bench from pins which i think could be useful too

Floor press (db’s and bb’s), neutral grip db press, close grip bench press.

Of course you can always get heavier which will mostly help your squat and bench but you don’t have to.

I’ve found plyos to be really helpful in the hole with squats. I just feel ‘bouncier’ and more resistant to the shock of the reversal with plyos incorporated. I do a lot of plyo work on DE days and a little for activation before ME lifts.

Good lifts for your bodyweight, although your bench and squat seem to be lagging. I’d say that you need to really perfect the form on these- make sure your butt is over your heels on the squat so you dont turn it into a good morning, and keep your lats pinches and elbows tucked to some extent on the bench.

I found that the best way to increase strength at the bottom portion of the deadlift is by incorporating snatch grip deadlifts (wider grip, narrower stance). Do a month of those, once per week, deloading the last week and then return to the conventional dead. For increasing you bench in the middle portion try banded barbell presses, this puts more tension as you ascend. For squat, try doing some single leg work like bulgarian split squats and see how that works

my squat and bench are lagging massively, probaly a technique issue. think snatch lift deads are a good shout aswell and some plyo for the legs is something i havent done.

another question though, do many people follow westside templates? i like the idea of testing a max twice a weak but really its about building the weakness, and im sure you would need more reps with heavy weight in those portions than just maxing out?

appreciate all the help so far!

[quote]Chigishev wrote:
my squat and bench are lagging massively, probaly a technique issue. think snatch lift deads are a good shout aswell and some plyo for the legs is something i havent done.

another question though, do many people follow westside templates? i like the idea of testing a max twice a weak but really its about building the weakness, and im sure you would need more reps with heavy weight in those portions than just maxing out?

appreciate all the help so far![/quote]

If you want to correct technique, buy a pvc pipe, 7 foot long and about half the thickness of regular ones, and use it to simulate a bamboo bar. Take bands, wrap them through weights (generally <100# total), place them on the end of the pipe and bench with it. This will teach you the correct form. It is also great for restoration/rehabilitation of shoulders/(I found wrists, for some reason), and pretty much all other benching muscles (to a degree). It helps me so much. Are you dragging a sled regularly? About 1-2 times a week heavy for +60 yd trips I think would help. Good morning squats could also be beneficial, do a good morning, and sit back onto a box. Partial rep deadlifts with doubled bands could really help you off the floor. Use them for some extra speed work or ME work.

You need stronger triceps. What I liked to do, and what Louie Simmons recommended, is that you superset some sort of heavier tricep exercise (JM presses, OH extensions, mostly any type of extension) with pushdowns for 6-8 reps and usually the same number of sets. You can also use bands for pushdowns, that works great for me.

To answer your last question, lighter higher rep accessory work should be done after ME work. The opposite for DE days. For what you’re asking, it’d always be a good idea to (if you feel like it) work up to a heavy triple or 5 reps for a few sets after you max out. The strongest people in the world follow this template

thanks for the advice will look into those things. definately agree with the triceps, thats what holds back my bench, above my max i can get the weight off my chest but not lock out. probaly need to have a wider grip as atm its basically index on the smooth at the moment.

[quote]Chigishev wrote:

appreciate all the help so far![/quote]

Go read the westside thread.