T Nation

Best 531 Set Up for Powerlifting?

Hey everyone! I've been lifting for 9 months. I've read Beyond 531 and my head is spinning with all the variations (not a bad thing). I've been running 531 for a couple of months.

My current set up is: 4 days a week, 351, Jokers, FSL Pyramid and BBB (5x5 @ 80% and 5x3 @ 90%)

My question is: what is the best 531 set up for powerlifitng? I'll be doing my first meet July 2015. What 531 variation is best for maximal strength?

Current 1 rms: Squat: 415, Bench 255, Deadlift: 455.

Thanks everyone!

Why not read the 5/3/1 for Powerlifting book?

Well I can certainly tell you to NOT do FSL and BBB in same session. Where do people get this idea? It’s clearly stated in the book.

Please do the program as written in the book, not by MaxSquatter185Az2Graz.

Hey Jim! Thank you for writing 531 and giving us so much great stuff to work with.

I had a feeling I was doing it wrong. Would you recommend FSL or heavier BBB for powerlifting. How would I best train Squat, Bench, and DL twice a week? Thanks.

Do the strength challenge on page 88.

Checked it out. Yup, that’s what I was looking for. Thanks.

[quote]tricci wrote:
Hey Jim! Thank you for writing 531 and giving us so much great stuff to work with.

I had a feeling I was doing it wrong. Would you recommend FSL or heavier BBB for powerlifting. How would I best train Squat, Bench, and DL twice a week? Thanks.[/quote]

Use FSL ONLY! Don’t train each movement twice a week - more is not better, better is better. That’s a mistake most don’t have to make but always do.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]tricci wrote:

I had a feeling I was doing it wrong. Would you recommend FSL or heavier BBB for powerlifting. How would I best train Squat, Bench, and DL twice a week? Thanks.[/quote]

Use FSL ONLY! Don’t train each movement twice a week - more is not better, better is better. That’s a mistake most don’t have to make but always do.
[/quote]

Hey Jim! Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. I will proceed accordingly.