Berardi's Chili

I am making the Dr. Johns’ chili tonight. I sure hope it is the fartles variety or else I might be able to solve the natural gas shortage.

4 lbs extra lean ground beef (96%)
4 cans kidney beans (15.5 oz per can), drained and rinsed
2 large onions, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced
4 bell peppers ? 1 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange, cut into 1/2-inch squares
6 cloves garlic, chopped
Two 46-fl oz bottles V8 vegetable juice, spicy hot
Cashew meal

Spices:
4 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp celery seed, 1 tsp fresh ground pepper (for a quicker version, you can use 3 packages chili seasonings mix, but it won’t be quite the same!)

Cooking Instructions:
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, one pound at a time, over high heat together with the garlic and onions. If your skillet is large enough (i.e., a wok), you can brown the beef all at once to save time.

On the last batch, add the spices after the beef is browned and continue frying for another couple of minutes.

Add the browned beef to a very large pot with a lid, and then add the beans, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, and V8 juice. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer.

To make the cashew meal, process the cashews in a blender in short bursts, until a grainy meal is formed. Don’t process for too long or you’ll have cashew butter. Stir in the cashew meal, cover, and simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Makes 10 servings

Let me know how you like it. I was thinking about making some, but I wanted to make sure it was good first: I’m broke and have to use a shitty kitchen set up here at school.

Hello, fellow chili fans…

Yes, JB’s chili is, indeed, “Da Bomb.”
I followed the recipe to the letter even though I was uneasy about the spicy V-8.

It was excellent chili. The only thing I would suggest is to make a half batch. Otherwise you will more than likely need two pots, as this yields A LOT of chili.

Damn good, much just more than I had expected.

Also the almond amount was a half cup. I ground mine in a blender…hey, it worked. :slight_smile:

Again, this chili is very good and very good for you…AMAZING.

I also used ground sirloin, if it matters.

Enjoy!

^ Correction: That was cashews, not almonds.

I’ve made the chili and like it a lot. I’ll snack on it throughout the day, not just post-workout.

The V-8 juice is convenient, but I’ve made chili before and I like adding the stewed tomatoes and my own seasonings instead.

You definitely do need an 8-quart stock pot if you’re going to make this. Even a half batch is a bit much for the standard 4 quart sauce pan.

The cashew meal is just for thickening, so you might not need it. I’ve found it hard to make good cashew meal without making cashew butter by accident. I even tried toasting the cashews to get some of their moisture out. Anybody have some hints on how to do it?

I halved the recipe and used regular V8 instead of the spicy one, and it was some of the best chili I’ve had without the gastric side effects. I did burp more than usual, though.

Made the chili with no problems. A high quality Cuisinart helps a lot with the chopping. The next batch I will add some jalapenos or habaeros for spice but otherwise it rocks.

I ate one quart of it yesterday for lunch and so far no excess natural gas emissions. My wife is pleased with those results.

The full batch is the correct size for me.

Las Vegas is the world capital of fine single malt whiskys.

are you guys getting the same macros?

I’m lacking about 20g of P when I punch in all of the ingredients at fitday.com

F 13g
C 50g
P 51g

I make it every two weeks, just making my grocery list now in fact to go and make another batch. Awesome.
I think between that recipe and TC’s Power Foods article you can easily get a weeks worth of food ideas.

Anyway it’s the shit.

I love this stuff so much and since the cold weather is here I thought I would give it a bump!

Where did you guys buy the V8?

Yeah ive made this recipe a bunch of times, I like mine spicier so I usually throw in some scotch bonnet or habaneros , awesome stuff to have in the fridge or to freeze

[quote]Mr.Martian wrote:
Where did you guys buy the V8?[/quote]

Anywhere?

I made it (well, my mom did), and it was amazing, and I probably had chili twice a day for 4-5 days.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Mr.Martian wrote:
Where did you guys buy the V8?

Anywhere?

I made it (well, my mom did), and it was amazing, and I probably had chili twice a day for 4-5 days.[/quote]

I went to costco and my local Albertsons and either has it.

just made some yesterday… truly is the bomb. Now I got lunch for the rest of the week

Made a batch last night. 9 year old daughter said it looked terrible. She ate two bowls. 7 years old son eats anything. He ate a bowl. I followed the recipe and added chopped mushrooms and chopped spinach just to add some more vegetables. Good recipe.