Berardi's Caloric Requirements

I’ve begun to change up my diet and follow Mr. Berardi’s articles and I’m changing up all sorts of my foods and nutrient timing. Only problem is he doesn’t seem to mention anything about how many calories you should be consuming.

I know it varies from one nutritionist to another and want to see his take on it. Can someone please help.

Also, has anyone else purchase Precision Nutrition? If so, how satisfied were you really with the results?

Thanks

Precision Nutrition has been a great resource for me, personally.

The recipes are great and easy to make, and the stuff Berardi outlines definitely helps with meal preparation.

I’d say go with it.

[quote]Swamp Donkey wrote:
I’ve begun to change up my diet and follow Mr. Berardi’s articles and I’m changing up all sorts of my foods and nutrient timing. Only problem is he doesn’t seem to mention anything about how many calories you should be consuming.

I know it varies from one nutritionist to another and want to see his take on it. Can someone please help.

Also, has anyone else purchase Precision Nutrition? If so, how satisfied were you really with the results?

Thanks[/quote]

What are your goals? You didn’t specify that.

This stuff really isn’t too hard. You don’t have to follow the recommendations of just one particular author. If you prefer to for meal ideas and timing fine, but when it comes to calories, it’s your own choices that are going to determine what changes your body will undergo, not what one specific author told you to do.

Ironically enough, Berardi himself is very clear about this in PN. He specifically states to not worry about calorie counting in the beginning. The most important thing is to make sure you’re consistently following the diet you’ve chosen. Then once you’ve had that down for several weeks, you can begin to worry about calories.

In the end it still all comes down to fairly simple thermodynamics: eat more than you use, gain weight; eat less than you use, lose weight.

look into Berardi’s old articles for calculatos… such as Massive Eating.

get reading to eat a lot!

also, def. look into buying PN

I have gained 18 pounds since buying it and its been all lean mass.

That’s awesome GNorm, 18 lbs. What timeframe are we talking about?

[quote]whosyobobby wrote:
That’s awesome GNorm, 18 lbs. What timeframe are we talking about?[/quote]

thanks man… began training and eating the right way on September 20, 2006 at a crappy 143 now on Febraury 21 a happy 161.8

thanks for the input guys.

i managed to find Berardi’s method of calculating your daily intake. but i think he suggests very high intakes. has anyone else seen this? GNorm what do you think about this? have you had any success cutting using Berardi’s PN?

i managed to find Berardi’s method of calculating your daily intake. but i think he suggests very high intakes. has anyone else seen this? GNorm what do you think about this? have you had any success cutting using Berardi’s PN?[/quote]

First of all, thanks to all the PNers who’ve chimed in to post positively about PN and our support forums.

Our team works hard to ensure our customers’ success and it’s responses like these above that show that our efforts are paying off.

As far as your question, the calorie cals that you’re likely referring to are likely tied to Massive Eating and are high with purpose – they’re necessarily high to promote lean gains in what I term “scrawny bastards” (from Scrawny to Brawny).

However, these are not my baseline calcs and don’t represent my complete thoughts on macronutrient splits, calorie intakes, etc. for ALL goals.

If you’re interested in more on the nutrition system I use, I encourage you to pick up PN. The Precision Nutrition System | Precision Nutrition

The product plus forum will substantially impact the way you look at health, nutrition, and training - all for the positive.

Look

to

the

left

<--------------- : )

I have had great success with JB and cutting. In November I was 224 with and about 20% BF.

I am happy to proclaim, I am at 200 with a 14% BF

And I continue to lose body fat.

My goal is to be 185 to 190 at about 8% by May.

Good luck in your efforts. In My opinion you are following the right expert for your goals.

i managed to find Berardi’s method of calculating your daily intake. but i think he suggests very high intakes. has anyone else seen this? GNorm what do you think about this? have you had any success cutting using Berardi’s PN?[/quote]

ya man… using Berardi’s PN I have successfully bulked adding all lean manss w/ little to no fat gain. at first, i was really nervous to begin eating up to 4000 kcals a day, but i slowly added more and more into my diet each week until i reach that number provided by the calc.

I have no reason to cut as of yet but many many people (referring to PN Forums) have had great success in cutting.

good luck

I’ve begun to change up my diet and follow Mr. Berardi’s articles and I’m changing up all sorts of my foods and nutrient timing. Only problem is he doesn’t seem to mention anything about how many calories you should be consuming.[/quote]

Visit www.johnberardi.com and look up the calorie calculator. He has a lot of guidelines depending on your goals, current stats, etc. Also, precision nutrition has a calorie calculator that seems to me to be even more specific. Good luck. I’ve been operating under his guidelines for over a year now and love it.
Il Don