Berardi's Amount of Calories

Hey!

So far in my diet, I’ve been doing around 2500-2700kcal pr day with high protein/fat, a bit lower on karbs. I went down quite a lot, but hit a plateu right now. I’ve been trying to read a few articles from John Berardi, and i found both this:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/complete.htm

and

http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/july262002/na_masscalculator.htm

And I understand that the second one is for gaining and the first for losing, but the difference in kcal is just huge, is there something I just don’t get here? I want to get down to a fat percentage of about 12-15, hopefully with some kind of illusion of visible abs behind there somewhere. I also want to stay in that range for the future… so, any tips, suggestions? Am i just way off in every way? Should i go further down from 2600kcal to about 2300, like the first article would suggest?

My “facts”:

I do 3 intervall kardio cycle workouts pr week, I walk 1-3 times pr week, about 50 minutes each walk, I do martial arts 1-3 times pr week, sometimes 2-4, depending on school/work and I do 3-4 workouts with weights. I weigh in at about 231lbs right now… I guess my fat percentage is 15-18 somewhere.

Well, I might be dumb as a nut about this, some pointers would be nice. (Didn’t want to pollute brxxthe’s thread in the rate my physique forum).

Hows the intake working now?? any estimate equation etc is just a guess.

if your not losing BF now well look at both what your eating and maybe drop a bit more. Or simply add in a little activty

Phill

Wow!!just re read this all that activity and 2500-2700.

Id look at the what your eating can you give a daily intake

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Wow!!just re read this all that activity and 2500-2700.

Id look at the what your eating can you give a daily intake

Phill[/quote]

Agreed! If you are not losing weight at that calorie level, your metabolism is fucked!!! You need to spend some time repairing it.

Well, my metabolism has always been this way. I don’t know how to go about “fixing” it really? I guess I should try following the massive eating plan, but I’m afraid i would blow up and away and get the houuygest bulk-belly ever then?:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m currently plateuing at about 2500kcals pr day. Looking like this:

[photo]6358[/photo]

The massive eating plan will give me somewhere about 5100-5200 kcal, that is twice what I’m eating now… I just don’t understand?

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
The massive eating plan will give me somewhere about 5100-5200 kcal, that is twice what I’m eating now… I just don’t understand?[/quote]

Just up your calories, by, say 300 each day. Work your way up.

You have to experiment and try new things. Just do things gradually.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Adamsson wrote:
The massive eating plan will give me somewhere about 5100-5200 kcal, that is twice what I’m eating now… I just don’t understand?

Just up your calories, by, say 300 each day. Work your way up.

You have to experiment and try new things. Just do things gradually.[/quote]

I have been reading both the old and new massive eating part I and II now, and think I understand both how to setup the diet and how to setup kcal-need. I’ll then try to take this down with 800-1200kcal pr day.

I’ll end up with about:

3446kcal on kardio days(2-3 days pr week) and 3590kcal on weight training days (4 days pr week). In the first article Berardi recommends doing the same amount of kcal each day, I’ll then end up with about 3500kcal pr day.

135g fat
317g prot
250g karb

Does that look ok?

Yes like above said just aim to increase a bit every wek or two, 200-300 let that get going and do it again, If your metab is that shot it takes time to fix as well.
Youll likely after an initial weight gain start having uber energy and better strength etc.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Yes like above said just aim to increase a bit every wek or two, 200-300 let that get going and do it again, If your metab is that shot it takes time to fix as well.
Youll likely after an initial weight gain start having uber energy and better strength etc.

Phill[/quote]

Well, with 3500, I’ll be about 1200-1300 down pr day, which will equal a weight loss at about 1kg pr week (Edit here, said day first… which is wrong ofcourse) when things normalize. Would you recommend that I go up to 4700-4800 first, and then cut down again to 3500? To really gear the metabolism up?

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

Well, with 3500, I’ll be about 1200-1300 down pr day, which will equal a weight loss at about 1kg pr week (Edit here, said day first… which is wrong ofcourse) when things normalize. Would you recommend that I go up to 4700-4800 first, and then cut down again to 3500? To really gear the metabolism up?[/quote]

I’m a little confused about your goals, but I’m assuming that you want to LOSE weight, right?

I would say that you have a pretty high carb intake. Maybe try cycling carbs on your off days, and replace the cals with pro and fat. That might be a big help.

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
Adamsson wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

Well, with 3500, I’ll be about 1200-1300 down pr day, which will equal a weight loss at about 1kg pr week (Edit here, said day first… which is wrong ofcourse) when things normalize. Would you recommend that I go up to 4700-4800 first, and then cut down again to 3500? To really gear the metabolism up?

I’m a little confused about your goals, but I’m assuming that you want to LOSE weight, right?

I would say that you have a pretty high carb intake. Maybe try cycling carbs on your off days, and replace the cals with pro and fat. That might be a big help.[/quote]

Right now I’m doing a 2500-2700kcal daily diet. It has taken me down from about 115-117kgs to 103-105kgs. But as some people in another thread pointed out, a diet that low on kcals will fuck up my metabolism, so I’m planning on going on the Berardi massive eating-plan, and I’m having a few problems adjusting that to fat-loss/muscle-gain/being healthy status… :slight_smile:

No dont just jump up a huge amount thats just asking for crazy fat gain slowly bro. Rad the massive eating reloaded go much that approach. Now the total intake dont be surprised if your lower I and many find JB’s intake #'s insane

Phill

FWIW Berardi calculations had my fat loss calories at 3237 per day.

I gained muscle on that.

So I was happy. Really happy.

But to actually – lose fat – I have to be more around 2250 - 2500 a day, which is what other sources have told me.

And even Berardi’s “Get Shredded” diet puts me at about 2260 a day.

I am quite willing to believe my metabolism is screwed up.

However I kinda need to lose fat now so I am going with 2250 (sticking w Berardi’s eating principles).

PS as I remember it, Dr. Berardi recommends adding 250 calories A WEEK to reach his numbers (not a day) basically adjusting your body gradually

More calories never hurts unless you’re a super endo.

It’s really not hard once you get adjusted.

Your activity level is really high, I’m kinda amazed you weren’t wasting away at 2500-2700 cals a day.

But to echo what everyone else said, work your way up by adding small increases at every meal.