Berardi Exception or Contradiction?

I was recently re-reading Dr. Berardi’s article about what’s in his kitchen and I noticed something a little peculiar. In the article, he states that he has an omelet with 1 cup of egg whites, 1 whole egg, and (sometimes) some cheese. He has this next to a big bowl of oatmeal that contains a small amount of nuts. Now, I realize that Dr. Berardi has said that a little amount of fat in a P + C meal is ok (up to 10 grams) but that sounds like a bit more than that. Is there some exception to the rule (maybe because it’s breakfast and you’ll burn through it, or maybe if your bulking)? Any thoughts?

Unlike some of the people who follow his work, John doesn’t seem to obsess over a couple grams of fat or carbs one way or the other.

Indeed, there’s nothing wrong with throwing in healthy fats at every meal.

The idea is just that you focus more on one type or the other.

Berardi’s guidelines are just that: guidelines. Follow them and good things will happen. However, unless you are on a very strict diet for some reason, such as cutting down for a show, small deviancies should not harm you at all.

he also says that you only need to eat perfect 90 percent of the time and he says that is what he does

also not everyone beleives in seperating carbs/fats/proteins
just see what works for you

Sports nutritionists who actually work in the feild and are basicly athletes in their own right can break the rules when they damn well want. I doubt a few measily carbs, fats or whatever are going to stop him from having the body he wants. He’s been there and done that enough to know what he needs to know.

Us newbs however need to go strict to see what works, we can break the rules later.

He (JB) has stated it numerous times the guidlines of massive eating/dont diet diet are guidlines a TOOL to be used not a religion to be lived on year round. you stretch the guidlines that includes mixing of MODERATE healthy fats with some P+C or vise versa with P+F. Get anal when needed for your goals.

I have read a lot of his stuff, and I do not have a complete understanding of all of the principles. He has answered some of my questions in the past. One response was that fat produces an insulin spike just as sugar does, and that fat can’t be assumed to just slow down everything else like a time-release capsule.

I think:
You want breakfast to last a while and give you more than just carbs and protein. As a result, I think its a good idea to mix somewhat. You do not want to totally load up on fat with the carbs because that will keep the carbs from going into the system right away. You do not want to take in just carbs because you are already depleted, and after a spike may get low blood sugar quickly thereafter. In other words, give your blood sugar just a little time to come up in the morning.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, now I won’t be afraid to have an omelet with my oatmeal in the morning.

oats and eggs are far better than a cinnamonster. Get the idea? Whole foods good; crap foods… crap.

Review JB’s Healthy Habits article, that should be taken the most seriously

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
I have read a lot of his stuff, and I do not have a complete understanding of all of the principles. He has answered some of my questions in the past. One response was that fat produces an insulin spike just as sugar does, and that fat can’t be assumed to just slow down everything else like a time-release capsule.

I think:
You want breakfast to last a while and give you more than just carbs and protein. As a result, I think its a good idea to mix somewhat. You do not want to totally load up on fat with the carbs because that will keep the carbs from going into the system right away. You do not want to take in just carbs because you are already depleted, and after a spike may get low blood sugar quickly thereafter. In other words, give your blood sugar just a little time to come up in the morning.
[/quote]

Fat does not affect insulin at all. Carbs do and protein has a little effect on insulin as well. The point of taking some fat will carbs is to “control” the insulin spike since it slows the absorption. Fibers could also slow the absorption and protein will lower the insulin spike too but would be a little less effective.

[quote]andrew_plamondon wrote:
mertdawg wrote:

I think:

Fat does not affect insulin at all. Carbs do and protein has a little effect on insulin as well. The point of taking some fat will carbs is to “control” the insulin spike since it slows the absorption. Fibers could also slow the absorption and protein will lower the insulin spike too but would be a little less effective.[/quote]

That’s what I thought. I think it was David Barr, but maybe Berardi who told me that fat causes an insulin spike as well. I was suprised. My basic question to (him) was whether you should combine fat with carbs to slow the absorbtion, to which (he) responded that you can’t control carb absorbtion like that very well, and that fat caused the spike as well. PM them.

JB’s new recommendations make no reference to the amount of carbs or the amount of fat in a single meal.

JB has also stated numerous times that his ideas and recommendations changes as new research and ideas come about leading to new innovative techniques. Some of his articles are 5 or 6 years old, so as the research and experience with all the nutrition ideas changes, so does the recommendations.

-Seth