T Nation

Berardi Done Got Me All Confused

This whole Post Workout (PW) meal vs the Anytime meal has me confused. Now, I understand the basics. Eat veggies and fruit as carbs prior to workout. "Other" carbs in the PW window. So, I can't have a bowl of pasta unless it's after a workout. Fine.

But in Gourmet Nutrition -- why is Chicken with Chick Peas an Anytime meal, but Dr. John's Chili is Post Workout?

Here are the breakdowns:

Chicken with Chick Peas
Calories (k/cal) 975
Protein (g) 98
Carbohydrates (g) 90
fiber (g) 25
sugars (g) 10
Fat (g) 25
SFA (g) 4
MUFA (g) 11
PUFA (g) 6
Omega-3 (g) 0.2
Omega-6 (g) 2.4

Dr. John's Chili
Calories (k/cal) 637
Protein (g) 71
Carbohydrates (g) 53
fiber (g) 11
sugars (g) 18
Fat (g) 13
SFA (g) 4
MUFA (g) 6
PUFA (g) 2
omega-3 (g) 0.1
omega-6 (g) 1.1

I love the chili and would make it my magic bullet meal, but for some reason it's reserved for the PW catagory. I don't get why, exactly. I mean, he does call for 2 * 46 oz bottles of V8 juice, which adds to the sugar. I'd certainly be happy with Chicken Broth there, instead. But would that be an Anytime meal or is there some other magic formula I haven't gotten yet? What adjustments would need to be made for this to be an Anytime meal?

Also, does anybody have a favorite Anytime meal... a magic bullet recipe, so to speak, that you enjoy eating over and over.

I'd have to go with Lean Meat + Broccoli with Olive Oil and pepper flakes.

Anybody else?

I'm not JB, but just looking at those macro breakdowns I can see that the Chick Peas meal has significantly higher fiber and fat levels, which will dampen insulin spike.

'Grams of sugar' does not necessarily give you a good idea of how much a food will spike insulin. For instance, fructose is counted as sugar, despite the fact that it spikes insulin less than carbs from grains which are not counted as sugar. For example, apples have more sugar than pasta, but pasta spikes insulin more than apples.

On the side of the chicken recipe, you can see that Berardi says that chick peas contain a lot of fiber, and have an extremely low GI (28). Because it doesn't spike insulin, you can take it anytime.

The chili is made with kidney beans, which are starchy carbs.