T Nation

Beowulf and Grendel

I saw a post about this movie a little over a year ago. It is out on DVD now. Has anyone seen it?
www.beowulfandgrendel.com

I havent seen this one but I know they’re making a cgi movie of it. They want 2 versions PG-13 and NC-17.

you mean this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7963607&st=beowulf+and+grendel&type=product&id=1556524

This version was done Iceland. It was not released in theaters in the U.S. It has been compared to The 13th Warrior.

[quote]superpimp wrote:
you mean this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7963607&st=beowulf+and+grendel&type=product&id=1556524 [/quote]

Yes.

It’s a renter for sure, you are not going to want the dvd, as i doubt you’ll watch it again. It is in no way comparable to the 13th warrior in any way. A good way to kill 2 hours if you are bored, but dont expect too much.

I rented it, had little expectations to begin with, and I was right. It shows lots of promise at the beginning, but the story is weird and has lots of unexplained things in the plot. They could have done much more given the location and the premise behind the whole thing.

[quote]baretta wrote:
It’s a renter for sure, you are not going to want the dvd.[/quote]

Thanks. I will look for it at the Videowarehouse. Any movie with Vikings in it can’t be all bad.

An excellent film for those interested in authenticity, of location, actors, props, story, etc. Put together on a shoestring budget compared to the hollywood failure that was 13th warrior (this should have been awesome but was sunk by usual hollywood ego clashes and shortsightedness), it delivers much more bang for the buck.

[quote]Grimnuruk wrote:
An excellent film.[/quote]

Would you watch it a second time?

I watched it several times. If you are looking for “flash” though this is not the film for you.

If you go to the website it has a trailer.

If you are interested in reading the story, Seamus Heaney wrote a modern english translation a few years ago that provides an excellent read.

Also, there is a movie in post production currently, directed by Robert Zamickis, called Beowulf. It is supposed to be released sometime in 2007.

I was pursuing my doctorate in “viking” archaeology when my health forced me to give up grad school. I like the film because it brings just enough realism into the fantasy to anchor it in the past and still provide a good entertaining story. Fish, sheep, christianity, bad teeth and personal hygiene and drinking are all nicely covered.

I particularly liked the skald chanting verses from the poem Beowulf juxtaposed against the “real” events taking place in the story. A film made by Nordics/Scandinavians about their ancient heritage (as captured by Northern verse over a thousand years ago) in their lands(Iceland, where the poetic tradition was strongest and the past was preserved orally for so long).

Yup. That was a good one.

I liked when he pissed on their door.

[quote]Grimnuruk wrote:
The hollywood failure that was 13th warrior [/quote]

What about The 13th Warrior didn’t you like?

[quote]PGA wrote:
I havent seen this one but I know they’re making a cgi movie of it. They want 2 versions PG-13 and NC-17.[/quote]

With Crispin Glover as Grendel — schweet.

The movie is good if you can get past Sarah Polley’s HORRIBLE acting. She was good in Dawn of the Dead '04, but she played this part just the same, which wouldn’t even had been so bad if she had even attempted an accent, if only to be in sync with everyone else in the movie.

Pathfinder is another “viking movie” that might interest you. It is along the lines of 13th Warrior in that the fantasy element has overwhelmed any real viking context to it, but it might be entertaining. IGN has some new pics: http://movies.ign.com/articles/756/756103p1.html

I finally rented Beowulf and Grendel this week. I really enjoyed the movie. I thought that it was well done.

Glad you enjoyed it. You can see what I meant by it not being a “Hollywood” movie.